Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN pilot  (Read 15567 times)

tvrandywest

New GSN pilot
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
At the upfronts in New York GSN announced a slate of programs in development that included several reality shows, plus "$100,000 Pyramid" and "American Bible Challenge". The latter tapes a pilot this month with host Jeff Foxworthy.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chad1m

New GSN pilot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
Here's a B&C article about their new developments, including pilots for Pyramid and Bible Challenge. Officially picked up is a new Newlywed season and a reality series called Beat the Chefs. Also in development: Three Pawn Stars ripoffs, an adult Toddlers & Tiaras and a reverse Storage Wars.

I don't care if the new Pyramid that's been shopped around since 2009 ends up on a four-digit cable channel like the South Sudanese Movie Channel, for goodness' sakes. Just let me watch it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:11:45 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
I don't care if the new Pyramid that's been shopped around since 2009 ends up on a four-digit cable channel like the South Sudanese Movie Channel, for goodness' sakes. Just let me watch it.
QFT. And I would actually be *more* likely to watch it on the South Sudanese Movie Channel.

"Please to be describing to your partner..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

New GSN pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
I feel if GSN's new version of Pyramid gets picked up, that might cause them to shelve the Dick Clark ones.

Before anyone even thinks about attacking me, I'm just making a guess here. I mean, when the current version of TNG premiered on GSN, they stopped showing the Eubanks one on regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:14:46 PM by gameshowlover87 »

chad1m

New GSN pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
I feel if GSN's new version of Pyramid gets picked up, that might cause them to shelve the Dick Clark ones.
It's a fair point, but if Davies' show is quality - and we've seen no evidence that it wouldn't be from the pilot reports - I don't mind having the older series on the backburner to pave the way for a modern success.

clemon79

New GSN pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »
It's a fair point, but if Davies' show is quality - and we've seen no evidence that it wouldn't be from the pilot reports - I don't mind having the older series on the backburner to pave the way for a modern success.
While Davies' track record of late hasn't been stellar...this. So much this. I'm willing to risk a lack of Dick Clark for a little while to see if this can take off.

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
While Davies' track record of late hasn't been stellar...this. So much this. I'm willing to risk a lack of Dick Clark for a little while to see if this can take off.
But, so help me, if the contestants are standing, I'm out. Same goes for if there's no physical 25-foot pyramid with six boxes aligned in a pyramid-esque pattern at center stage. If it's at stage left or stage right, I'm out. It better be front and center, bucko.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

New GSN pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
But, so help me, if the contestants are standing, I'm out. Same goes for if there's no physical 25-foot pyramid with six boxes aligned in a pyramid-esque pattern at center stage. If it's at stage left or stage right, I'm out. It better be front and center, bucko.
I hear you. And if we don't hear "HERE is your FIRST subject!" my TV is going over the balcony.

J.R.

New GSN pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Are you petrified of the contestants dropping trou?
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

New GSN pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Absolutely terrified.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

New GSN pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
If this thing makes it to air and is decent, I might drop trou myself.

/IYKWIM
//AITTYD

jjman920

• Mhoops.
New GSN pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
Who wants to sit and watch something so specific as somebody buying and selling used engagement rings? Seriously, that sounds really odd.

Frankly, I've never been a super Pawn Stars fan. The fact that GSN is in development to run that concept into the ground is no surprise.

As for Pyramid, I guess they really want to get this off the ground. I hope it works out. I'm surprised they're still at it after being slapped in the face by CBS, twice.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

New GSN pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
We purists need to get over our bad selves when it comes to GSN and reality.  Many much bigger cable operations are finding huge success with reality, and GSN would seem on the surface to be a much better fit for that sort of thing than, say, The History Channel.  Having said that, most of GSN's choices have that watered-down, poorly thought-out feel to them.  Three of the offerings are just like Pawn Stars or Storage Wars -- except that they're each about one specific item.  From what little we've seen, the other two (the wacky pageants and the dueling sister auctioneers) would seem to have a little more going for them.  But honestly, this is the kind of low-budget, high-concept crap that's put a lot of networks on the map.  Seriously, what makes GSN so special that they shouldn't try?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

New GSN pilot
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Seriously, what makes GSN so special that they shouldn't try?
Becaue those low-budget ideas, at the time at least, were original and had concepts that hadn't been seen widely.. These are very brazen rip-offs. And granted, while it's not like ripoffs of successful franchises don't succeed, there are already ripoffs of these successful brands on in the cableverse. GSN is hopping on the bandwagon waaaaay in the back. I've got nothing against them trying something new to make a splash. A third-rate pseudo-Pawn Stars just isn't it.

clemon79

New GSN pilot
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
And granted, while it's not like ripoffs of successful franchises don't succeed, there are already ripoffs of these successful brands on in the cableverse.
Which means a couple more aren't gonna matter.

Matt's right. People need to build a bridge and get over it.