Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Returning in April...  (Read 33662 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Password Returning in April...
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
Great. The version conceived by Harry "I don't know what the hell made Pyramid a great show in the first place" Friedman. How wonderful.
Jeopardy!. Wheel. Donnymid. So he got 1 out of 3 wrong, even though it wasn't quite as bad as your little tirade went. Your little nickname for him is a bit unwarranted.

Wasn't he also behind Davidson Squares and Caesars Challenge?

Not saying gameshowlover's labeling is right, because it isn't, but it seems to me Harry's gotten more turds than gold.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
I also hated the new category titles, which were somewhat longer sentences, and they weren't the least bit cleverly-written. They were cringe-worthy.
Just because you didn't get the joke/like what they were going for doesn't mean they were bad/wrong.
I dunno. In all of the blather in there, I thought he hit the nail on the head here. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »
I liked Davidson's Squares and Caesar's Challenge. I thought they were good shows.

But Donnymid, on the other hand, I felt Friedman really messed with that one, more than even J! and WOF combined.

clemon79

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
But Donnymid, on the other hand, I felt Friedman really messed with that one, more than even J! and WOF combined.
Most reasonable people do not disagree with you.

That, however, makes your little rant no less hyperbolic and silly.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »
Laughing out loud, what?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »
Wasn't he also behind Davidson Squares and Caesars Challenge?

Not saying gameshowlover's labeling is right, because it isn't, but it seems to me Harry's gotten more turds than gold.
Was it Davidson's Squares too? I know he worked on Marshall's in the 70s, but even if he worked with Davidson's version, that still got a good three years. I wouldn't call that a failure either.

Caesar's Challenge I'll partially give you, but only because, by 1993, network game shows were a dying breed. I've said before the show had a solid format, but premiered either 5 years too early or too late. In either case, I think CC could've lasted in the late-80s or late-90s, the latter in syndication or on cable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:54:12 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »
Wheel of Fortune.

Jeopardy.

He can say what he wants, and can caterwaul about the "cringe worthy somewhat-longer sentences", but he's wrong.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:00:31 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »
Wheel of Fortune.
I respectfully disagree. Sure, Harry's made some good decisions (and quite a few of them), but more have been head-scratching at best and "WTF?!" at worst. Fun fact: he was contacted for the job by an old friend, Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Alan Levine, because Sony thought the show looked tired and dated -- they wanted to take Wheel in a different direction.

There was a discussion on here some time back about Wheel players never coming back, and it was argued that passing over someone who already "had their day in the sun" was the better path. What wasn't brought up is that J! has always allowed non-Trebek players to return; what's good for one should be good for the other, right?

Yes, Wheel is still mega-popular and is the same show at its core, but the aesthetics have been altered to the point of resembling pretty much every million-dollar game show of the past decade (while J! has remained quite watchable and far from that sinkhole). IMO, Wheel seems not only tired and dated but stale, cold, and uncaring.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
What wasn't brought up is that J! has always allowed non-Trebek players to return; what's good for one should be good for the other, right?
By this logic, basketball should introduce an offsides rule if a player crosses half-court before the ball does, because that rule is good for hockey.

BrandonFG

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
Wheel of Fortune.
I respectfully disagree. Sure, Harry's made some good decisions (and quite a few of them), but more have been head-scratching at best and "WTF?!" at worst. Fun fact: he was contacted for the job by an old friend, Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Alan Levine, because Sony thought the show looked tired and dated -- they wanted to take Wheel in a different direction.

Yes, Wheel is still mega-popular and is the same show at its core,
Which means Harry's done something right. He's kept the show popular for the casual fan, even with all the changes.

but the aesthetics have been altered to the point of resembling pretty much every million-dollar game show of the past decade (while J! has remained quite watchable and far from that sinkhole). IMO, Wheel seems not only tired and dated but stale, cold, and uncaring.
I can't say I agree. Not that some changes don't sit right, but I'll give "Wheel" credit for keeping itself modern while still keeping the feel of a classic game. Honestly, if it kept the same format from 1983, it would get just as stale and in some cases, slowed to a halt depending on the shopping to be done.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
I respectfully disagree.
Yes, Wheel is still mega-popular and is the same show at its core,
...which is precisely what he was hired to accomplish, and he could give two good goddamns if you approve of his work or not.

but the aesthetics have been altered to the point of resembling pretty much every million-dollar game show of the past decade
I know you occasionally have vision issues, but I had no idea they were this bad, because Good Jeebus, you couldn't be further off the mark here.

J.R.

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
Has Dan's "rant" earned him a Troll Score?

/good grief
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Has Dan's "rant" earned him a Troll Score?

/good grief
Not quite. His posts, while occasionally filled with far-reaching logic, tinfoil theories and overreactions, lean more towards fanboyism, in terms of thinking that game show producers are obligated to cater to we nerds, instead of the general public (read: the ones who don't notice 1/10 of the changes the forum gripes about at times*).

*Myself included
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:40:46 PM by fostergray82 »

clemon79

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »
Not quite. His posts, while occasionally filled with far-reaching logic, tinfoil theories and overreactions, lean more towards fanboyism, in terms of thinking that game show producers are obligated to cater to we nerds, instead of the general public (read: the ones who don't notice 1/10 of the changes the forum gripes about at times*).
Yeah. It would really help if people (and not just Joe) were more cognizant of the fact that in order to be a troll, you have to be intentionally be trying to rile people up with your posts (and usually by saying something you don't actually believe). If someone is simply utterly clueless, pretty much by definition they're not a troll because they don't have enough of a clue to know what *would* rile people up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:51:17 PM by clemon79 »

J.R.

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
Fair enough, it's just those posts are sometimes just too good to be true.
-Joe Raygor