Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Returning in April...  (Read 33657 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password Returning in April...
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »
4) Maybe I'm reading into this too much.
This one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
This one.

Making too big a deal of it? Sure.  But he might actually have some semblance of a point on this one.

The episode numbers for all of the episodes they currently lease are  shown in the PDF guides. If it were one of those ~200 episodes GSN leased,  it stands to reason the episode number would be provided.  GSN's  scheduling of the show following the most recent cycle-through is been a  little unusual anyway - the show was taken off the schedule for several  months despite being consistently the network's highest rated older  show.  This time, instead of cycling back to the beginning of the run,  they're jumping back to several months into the lease, airing a couple  of weeks, then jumping back to *June 1986*, close to the end of the  leased block.  

Unless something's changed in the last couple of years, most shows tend  to be leased for either a certain period of time, and/or a certain  number of broadcasts on-the-air. Most of the shows being aired between  the end of the most recent airplay cycle and the "New" episodes listed  starting 5/7 happen to be shows that got skipped over at least once for  various reasons.  It's quite possible that GSN has used their allotment  of airplays on their current $25,000 Pyramid lease, and so given the  choice between paying to continue running the 1985-86 episodes and  paying a similar amount to run new episodes, they've opted for the latter.  

GSN has run Sept. 1982-Sept. 1983, Sept. 1985-June 1986, and Nov. 1987 to the finale, and as far as I know they have the details for all of the above logged in their system. As far as I know, GSN's PDFs appear to just be a printout  of their scheduling system,
 If GSN doesn't have the episode details for the "New" episodes, it's probably either episodes they haven't previously broadcast and don't have the information logged for, or else they don't have the leased finalized and are using it as a placeholder until they know what they're running (though, if it were the latter that's typically marked "TBA")

gsfan85

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Just recently, The new PDFs for May have been released. And for $25K Pyramid, it says "NEW" in the episode column. I foresee four possibilities:

1) It could be episodes that have never been shown on GSN before.

2) It could be from when the show was called The "NEW" $25,000 Pyramid, from November 1982-January 1985. The first season, perhaps?

3) It could be from any of the episodes that have never appeared on GSN before with the word "NEW" in the title, from late 1983-early 1985.

Where do you go to download these PDF's?  Would love to see them.
Thanks!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
They're from Casey Abell's site "Game Show Follies".

I can't stand him half the time, though. He keeps referring to classic audiences as the "older is better" crowd, as if they think EVERYTHING before 1990 is good, and EVERYTHING after 1990 is bad, and I know that is NOT true.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:35:47 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
I can't stand him half the time, though. He keeps referring to classic audiences as the "older is better" crowd, as if they think EVERYTHING before 1990 is good, and EVERYTHING after 1990 is bad, and I know that is NOT true.
Assigning blanket opinions to other people in order to make your point is not a good way to make friends.  Apparently, even the "silly" hoo-hah over Steve Harvey's naughty Feud material is motivated only because the Harvey version is the new version and therefore isn't as revered as the past incarnations.  Oh, and also unfair because Richard Dawson once made a joke about prostitution.  So see, they're exactly the same.

Bless his heart, Casey once tried very hard to establish a Wikipedia page about me, and I'll always be appreciative (and more than a little amused) about that.  But nowadays, it seems the majority of his posts are simply digs at us, the GSN board, Alex, or any other bit of fandom he can look down at from on high.  He's become Steve Beverly without even the professorial cloak of credibility.  (Except that the conservative Prof no doubt hates Harvey's material too.)

BTW, the last time we mentioned him on our board, it made him so happy that he mocked up his own Hollywood Walk of Fame "star".  If WE got that excited every time he mentioned US, we'd have a row of Oscars by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
"Game show fans haven't suddenly turned super-prudish about a show with no sex or violence at all."

Good to see Casey's still a tool. The forum's better off without his condescending jackassery.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:03:39 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
Good to see Casey's still a tool. The forum's better off without his condescending jackassery.
I kinda enjoyed him. Mainly because it was SO easy to poke Mack Truck-sized holes in his arguments and that frustrated him SO much.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
I noticed that the "N/R" designation on the PDF's appears to say whether the show has appeared on GSN before. The 5/7 morning listing shows "N", but the overnight listing says "R,", and all subsequent airings show R as well. That would seem to rule out any show that has never run on GSN, but it doesn't rule out the possibility that some other interval is taking the place of the 1985-86 season. That would still make me, to paraphrase a former employer, as happy as a pig in slop.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

J.R.

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
I remember when Casey would try to do this monthly "report" on the state of GSN's ratings. And it would always be a "Debbie Downer" diatribe on how poor said ratings were and that you all should feel ashamed for watching an "old people network".

I'm with Chris. He was fun to poke at since the smug tantrums he'd throw whenever you tried to refute him were entertaining.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:57:33 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
I read how he refused to interview some MTV guy.

The fact that MTV even sought him out to interview the guy should have humbled him.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

catnap1972

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »
The thread went way off in a million directions, but apparently GSN will be airing Donnymid all this week in place of $25,000 Pyramid.  Nobody knows if this will just be for a week or it's a permanent replacement.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
Great. The version conceived by Harry "I don't know what the hell made Pyramid a great show in the first place" Friedman. How wonderful.

Besides the pickier-than-ever judging, I also hated the new category titles, which were somewhat longer sentences, and they weren't the least bit cleverly-written. They were cringe-worthy.

What was wrong with the original short, misleading titles? They were in every other version of the show, including the Davidson version, and even the British version that Donny hosted.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:36:44 PM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »
Great. The version conceived by Harry "I don't know what the hell made Pyramid a great show in the first place" Friedman. How wonderful.
Jeopardy!. Wheel. Donnymid. So he got 1 out of 3 wrong, even though it wasn't quite as bad as your little tirade went. Your little nickname for him is a bit unwarranted.

Besides the pickier inconsistent-than-ever judging,
Fixed

I also hated the new category titles, which were somewhat longer sentences, and they weren't the least bit cleverly-written. They were cringe-worthy.
Fine. Agreed there.

What was wrong with the original short, misleading titles? They were in every other version of the show, including the Davidson version, and even the British version that Donny hosted.
It was likely following the formula that a few game shows were using at the time. Win Ben Stein's Money comes to mind. I had a bigger problem with some of the Winner's Circle categories.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
Huh? What does this mean? Harry had been running Wheel and Jeopardy for a few years at that point, and they were doing just fine.

I also hated the new category titles, which were somewhat longer sentences, and they weren't the least bit cleverly-written. They were cringe-worthy.
Just because you didn't get the joke/like what they were going for doesn't mean they were bad/wrong.

Blah blah blah, words words words.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
You're almost too good to be true.
-Joe Raygor