Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Returning in April...  (Read 33648 times)

J.R.

Password Returning in April...
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:08 AM »
I think the MST3K Mantra is definitely in play here.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax"
-Joe Raygor

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:22 AM »
I'm not asking for the shopping format or manual puzzleboard, because I know that's a massive step backward -- I want audiences who actually want to be there
Huh? Aren't a lot of Wheel's audience members tourists? I'm sure they want to be there, and have no problem waving for the camera.
It is another one of those "things-only-fanboys-notice." Listening to the audience during Wheel nowadays is a bit depressing...and quiet. If there is one thing old Wheel had on today's Wheel, it was that the audience back then used to be "off da chain." Today you'd be lucky to get an audible reaction to a close call without it having to be sweetened. (Of course as I say this, the audience in Portland has been great)

Note, what I've said isn't make or break for me, but I see where he is coming from.

The fact of the matter is that, despite the changes made, Wheel of Fortune was gold for Harry. But I question how bright this gold was. Was Wheel (and Jeopardy! for that matter) in decline when he took over? If not, then all he has really done is just polished the gold instead of actually mining it, right? He certainly gets major credit for not turning off the millions who still continue to watch, but the gold was first struck in the 80s.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:53:32 AM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

J.R.

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2012, 03:40:16 AM »
If there is one thing old Wheel had on today's Wheel, it was that the audience back then used to be "off da chain." Today you'd be lucky to get an audible reaction to a close call without it having to be sweetened. (Of course as I say this, the audience in Portland has been great)
I don't know about that. I remember when GSN would air the 1988-1989 season all the time and it always seemed like there was about six people in the stands. Faint clapping, a couple cheers. About it. Made the whole show really dry, IMHO.
-Joe Raygor

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
FosterGray...thanks. Looking back, I did seem to go overboard...

The ambient music is nothing more than thinking music during Toss-Ups, the speed round, and the bonus round. A total of what, 2 minutes out of 21-22? I consider the music no different than the metronome used during Alphabetics, or the "doot-doot-doot" during the Winners Circle. It still adds tension to the round.
Maybe I'm just used to the silence during the Speed-Up round, then -- for me, total silence added more tension than generic music. And the Bonus Round cue just doesn't have the same tension as the "boop-beep", where the buzzer hit you like a sucker punch.

The Bonus Round itself uses a constant stream of music from the Bonus Wheel spin through to the double-buzz (or end of segment if it's solved), all of which feels generic and lifeless.

Define "players who don't deserve to win". If you mean too much money is given away, then perhaps.
Players who win solely because they solved the Trip Puzzle. I know that anybody can win by solving any one puzzle, but the guaranteed prize kind of...taints?...that by inflating someone's score. And usually, these people go on to lose the Bonus Round.

But I actually enjoy seeing a show where contestants can still win something just for showing up. And I'll take $1,000 over Rice-A-Roni and Turtle Wax any day of the week.
No argument here, but I personally don't like it when people who solve the first Toss-Up or a single regular puzzle for the house minimum are lumped in with those who don't solve anything.

players who don't risk nearly $10,000 on the Mystery Wedge, good puzzles (no I LOVE MY PASSPORT PHOTO crap), and an actual prize/cash variety.
Indifferent on the players taking risks, although that's the fun of a game show;
I'm all for taking risks, but the thing here is that one is risking nearly $10,000 on a chance at another $10K, and sometimes they have the trip off the Wheel or other such items, so sometimes it isn't worth the risk...especially if you call the last remaining letter on a Mystery Wedge (which has happened twice; both went for it, both got Bankrupt).

indifferent on the prize/cash variety. Contestants want cash, cars, and trips, probably in that order, although 2 and 3 can be switched. I think the producers even said that's the prizes contestants like the most. Why not cater to them, especially when the reaction to winning a car looks a lot better than the annuities, gold bars, or jewelry they were giving away 20 years ago.
I was thinking more along the lines of "practical" prizes, like a home entertainment package or rooms of furniture -- there's a bunch of sponsors who only show up for the Gift Tag, Jackpot plug, or promotional consideration/closed captioning plugs.

the goofy theme weeks
...I totally forgot about those......things......which also restrict the puzzle writers. Not even the "America's Game" weeks give them a break, as then they have to make puzzles that fit "America". Wheel, generic shows with no theme are a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:17:14 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
If there is one thing old Wheel had on today's Wheel, it was that the audience back then used to be "off da chain." Today you'd be lucky to get an audible reaction to a close call without it having to be sweetened. (Of course as I say this, the audience in Portland has been great)
I don't know about that. I remember when GSN would air the 1988-1989 season all the time and it always seemed like there was about six people in the stands. Faint clapping, a couple cheers. About it. Made the whole show really dry, IMHO.
Right. While I don't disagree with jjman, I think the sweetening was at its heaviest when the show taped at NBC.

With that size audience, I wonder if the audio op isn't getting enough crowd noise. I notice the same thing during NFL games, where it sounds like I'm listening to a golf match.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of "practical" prizes, like a home entertainment package or rooms of furniture -- there's a bunch of sponsors who only show up for the Gift Tag, Jackpot plug, or promotional consideration/closed captioning plugs.
There's nothing practical about a $25,000 set of dining room furniture.  It may look pretty, but that's a huge tax burden for a table and some chairs.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

toddyo

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Audio sweetening at NBC?  No! You mean those audiences weren't packed and loud? Dang! What's a Mother to do? Add more applause? (And here I thought the audiences for "The Voice" were really into buttons being pushed or crescendos)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:35:52 PM by toddyo »

J.R.

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Reread the MST3K Mantra, Dan. It'll reduce the popped blood vessels you keep having over WOF changes.

Good lord.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »
I'm all for taking risks, but the thing here is that one is risking nearly $10,000 on a chance at another $10K, and sometimes they have the trip off the Wheel or other such items, so sometimes it isn't worth the risk
To you. It isn't worth the risk to you.

There's a huge distinction. You're the one that has all these problems with the show. Many of us are content to watch absent-mindedly and your litany of awful never even occurs to us.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Say now. How's about that Password? Ya know, the show that this thread was started about?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »
Say now. How's about that Password? Ya know, the show that this thread was started about?
It's actually interesting (and really unsurprising) to look back and see who all was responsible for hijacking the thread in the first place.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
It's actually interesting (and really unsurprising) to look back and see who all was responsible for hijacking the thread in the first place.
*looks back* Ah yes, gameshowhater87. Yeah, not surprising at all.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
Well, not totally fair to pin it all on him; there was certainly at least one assist to hand out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
Well, not totally fair to pin it all on him; there was certainly at least one assist to hand out.
Oh, indeed. If anything, gameshowlover's was the assist.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
Oh, indeed. If anything, gameshowlover's was the assist.
It was? I had him with the goal at post 72.
Travis L. Eberle