Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More on GSN's "evolution"...  (Read 8254 times)

dzinkin

More on GSN's "evolution"...
« on: December 09, 2003, 08:08:02 PM »
Boden Out at GSN
By R. Thomas Umstead
Multichannel News, 12/9/2003 5:32:00 PM

Veteran Game Show Network executive Bob Boden is out as senior vice president of programming amid a network move toward more reality-based, game-oriented shows.

GSN president Rich Cronin would not comment on Boden’s departure, but he said the network is conducting a search for a new programming head. Current VP of programming Kevin Belinkoff will handle Boden’s duties in the interim.

Boden, an avid classic-game-show fan, joined the network in 2001 and oversaw its acquisition of several top-rated off-network game shows, including Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and The Weakest Link. He also presided over the development of such original programming as reality series Naturally Stoned and game shows Cram and Lingo.

GSN, though, has been moving away from classic game shows and more toward reality and other game-oriented programming. The network recently announced the development of Boden-commissioned reality series Fake-a-Date, as well as National Lampoon’s Greek Games, a competition between rival fraternities and sororities.

Cronin eventually envisions the network devoting only 25% of its primetime lineup to traditional game-show programming. "We’re continuing with the evolution of Game Show Network," he said.

In November, GSN averaged a 0.6 primetime rating, up 20% over the same period last year.

"Evolution" my @$$...

- David

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:10:28 PM »
i dont think the reason their prime time is so high is because of a GAME SHOW!!  Millionaire made their prime time what it is, and yet they go on with reality.  maybe Boden leaving wasnt what was needed.  maybe Cronin needs to leave now also.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 08:11:54 PM »
Yeah! Since, Boden is resigning GSN is going down.  He was there since it's inception, and he is a classic Game Show Fan.  I think he is getting tired of all this Mess, like us.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 08:14:02 PM »
Sigh. Maybe Bob will keep the dream of a network for game shows alive someday, but for now, who wants to chip in for the headstone? :-P

GS Warehouse

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 10:34:04 PM »
So there's our big announcement.  GSN is becoming just another cable lemming.  [sigh] The advertisers have won.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 10:34:37 PM by GS Warehouse »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 10:49:54 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 11:34 PM\'] GSN is becoming just another cable lemming.  [sigh] The advertisers have won. [/quote]
 I've got my own problems with the direction GSN is heading as well, but let's keep in mind that in the world of commercial television, the advertisers HAVE to win.  That's the way the system works.  

The problem, best I can figure it, is that Sony and Liberty have a product that they want to be Spike TV, and it just isn't.  No amount of tweaking the "game" concept is going to draw the demographic they seem to be interested in.  It never occurred to me that they might be considering something as radical as what Mark suggested -- replacing the entire concept with an "action" network -- but with the genre's biggest champion out at GSN, I guess anything's possible.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 11:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:49 PM\'] I've got my own problems with the direction GSN is heading as well, but let's keep in mind that in the world of commercial television, the advertisers HAVE to win.  That's the way the system works. [/quote]
 Exactly.  And if you take the advertisers out of the equation, it'll never work.  No self-respecting PBS station would ever run a game show these days... right, Matt? :-D

- David
(diving behind a snowbank)

whampyl03

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 11:54:24 PM »
Cronin eventually envisions the network devoting only 25% of its primetime lineup to traditional game-show programming. "We’re continuing with the evolution of Game Show Network," he said.

OOF!  Well, I guess it's better than nothing at all.

Even though Bob made a few programming moves I was never favorable of, I think that Bob will be missed at the programming helm.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 01:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:11 PM\'] Yeah! Since, Boden is resigning GSN is going down.  He was there since it's inception, and he is a classic Game Show Fan.  I think he is getting tired of all this Mess, like us. [/quote]
 If your going to try to post facts, at least make them accurate.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 01:56:12 AM »
You know, I would care less if GSN went under and cesed to exist. As it seems noone likes it anyway.

Belinkoff is probably reading this and thinking to himself: "Sigh... why did I take this job ? I have to appeal to these bitter obsessed wackos ?!"

Give him a chance. New Management is known for a few good suprises now and then.

Ever since I gave-up on watching GSN on a regular basis, I've found other good channels to watch. Like "Trio", which is a Rockin' channel ! (Just watched "Queen of a Day" !)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 01:57:16 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 08:29:24 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 01:56 AM\']
Ever since I gave-up on watching GSN on a regular basis, I've found other good channels to watch. Like "Trio", which is a Rockin' channel ! (Just watched "Queen of a Day" !)

-Joe R. [/quote]
 If Mark Jeffries is correct and GSN moves in the direction of Spike TV to get a younger demographic, Trio could stand to take a long look at Match Game and some of the Black and White shows and acquire them for their channel.

Fedya

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 08:55:41 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 08:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 01:56 AM\']

-Joe R. [/quote]
If Mark Jeffries is correct and GSN moves in the direction of Spike TV to get a younger demographic, Trio could stand to take a long look at Match Game and some of the Black and White shows and acquire them for their channel. [/quote]
 Unfortunately for those of us with DirecTV, they're currently in negotiations with Trio (or whoever owns Trio) on a new carriage agreement, and if the two parties can't reach an agreement by December 31, DirecTV subscribers will lose Trio for a period of time.

(At least, that's what I understand from the crawl running across the screen during Battle of the Network Stars and the Miss America Pageant from Monday.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 07:08 PM\'] Cronin eventually envisions the network devoting only 25% of its primetime lineup to traditional game-show programming. "We’re continuing with the evolution of Game Show Network," he said. [/quote]
 Is it too soon to call this the MTV-ization of the channel?  (Oh, wait, do MTV and VH1 even have 25% left that's given to videos?)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 12:45:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:55 AM\'] Unfortunately for those of us with DirecTV, they're currently in negotiations with Trio (or whoever owns Trio) on a new carriage agreement, and if the two parties can't reach an agreement by December 31, DirecTV subscribers will lose Trio for a period of time.
 [/quote]
 Isn't it Studios USA that owns Trio (wonder if that means you might be losing USA as well)?

Thank goodness for digital cable (except for when it screws me on ESPN Full Court).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhammyPower

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 01:45:52 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 11:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:55 AM\'] Unfortunately for those of us with DirecTV, they're currently in negotiations with Trio (or whoever owns Trio) on a new carriage agreement, and if the two parties can't reach an agreement by December 31, DirecTV subscribers will lose Trio for a period of time.
 [/quote]
Isn't it Studios USA that owns Trio (wonder if that means you might be losing USA as well)?

Thank goodness for digital cable (except for when it screws me on ESPN Full Court).

Doug [/quote]
According to Trio's Terms & Conditions of Use:

"Trio Network, Universal Television Networks, part of the Universal Television Group (www.universalstudios.com), a division of Vivendi Universal Entertainment (VUE), and all subsidiary and affiliated companies."

Note: I also have DirecTV.  (I have been wanting to switch back to digital cable for months!)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 01:46:35 PM by WhammyPower »