Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Figure It Out"  (Read 18113 times)

byrd62

"Figure It Out"
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
Any chance this remake will work without the likes of host Summer Sanders or panelists Lori Beth Denberg and Danny Tamberelli?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/nickelodeon-revives-1990s-game-show-figure-it-out-with-40-episode-order/

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Figure It Out"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
No. None whatsoever. That show was so panel-personality driven that they brought in the friggin' BIG SHOW to be on it. Before he DEVELOPED a personality, even.

(You gotta be kidding me.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
My favorite Nick show, but I always thought of it as WML for kids.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
My favorite Nick show, but I always thought of it as WML for kids.

I think it was more like IGAS for kids.

whewfan

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
No. None whatsoever. That show was so panel-personality driven that they brought in the friggin' BIG SHOW to be on it. Before he DEVELOPED a personality, even.

(You gotta be kidding me.)

I wonder if today's child audience knows who Danny Tamborelli or Lori Beth Denberg are?! I don't think either of them have done much since FIO originally ended. Lori Beth was in the movie Dodgeball but Danny T, I don't think has done anything. Me personally, I'd like to see Amanda Bynes back on TV or movies in some form. Maybe SHE could host Figure it Out if Summer Sanders isn't going to.

Matt Ottinger

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
Grumpy Old Man complains about panel shows again.

I'll be surprised, but pleasantly so, if they realize this time that the game needs to be played totally for funsies.  The only game that's being played is being played by the panel.  The contestant just sits there and answers questions.  Intuitively, you tune in to a game show to see it being played well, however the prize is awarded for failure.  Goodson-Todman had that figured out, which is why they played for meaningless stakes and eventually (with the syndicated WML?) for no stakes at all.  Here, the contestant wins when the performers fail at their task, and if the performers succeed, we're disappointed because the kid doesn't get the trip to Orlando.  It's wildly counterintuitive.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
Me personally, I'd like to see Amanda Bynes back on TV or movies in some form. Maybe SHE could host Figure it Out if Summer Sanders isn't going to.
Never happen. She's retired.

I assume the new show will have today's Nick stars as their panel, and that's not going to appeal to the fans of the '90s show. That's not to say it won't find a following with Nick's current audience though.

brianhenke

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
Will we see "Figure It Out: Wild Side" too?

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Jimmy Owen

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Grumpy Old Man complains about panel shows again.

I'll be surprised, but pleasantly so, if they realize this time that the game needs to be played totally for funsies.  The only game that's being played is being played by the panel.  The contestant just sits there and answers questions.  Intuitively, you tune in to a game show to see it being played well, however the prize is awarded for failure.  Goodson-Todman had that figured out, which is why they played for meaningless stakes and eventually (with the syndicated WML?) for no stakes at all.  Here, the contestant wins when the performers fail at their task, and if the performers succeed, we're disappointed because the kid doesn't get the trip to Orlando.  It's wildly counterintuitive.
Agreed.  I'm not sure where they would tape, but if it's Orlando, just give the family a trip there just for being selected to be on the show.  Kids like to see the panelists slimed, so keep that.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gamed121683

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
Me personally, I'd like to see Amanda Bynes back on TV or movies in some form. Maybe SHE could host Figure it Out if Summer Sanders isn't going to.
Never happen. She's retired.

I assume the new show will have today's Nick stars as their panel, and that's not going to appeal to the fans of the '90s show. That's not to say it won't find a following with Nick's current audience though.

Actually, she pulled a Brett Favre.

weaklink75

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
Here's the press release......They're going with a known Nick personality, as Jeff Sutphen is hosting this.

Agreed.  I'm not sure where they would tape, but if it's Orlando, just give the family a trip there just for being selected to be on the show.  Kids like to see the panelists slimed, so keep that.

They're taping in LA (I believe just about everything Nick does in front of a studio audience is done there now), so I wouldn't be shocked if most of the contestants are from that area.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:47:24 PM by weaklink75 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Figure It Out"
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

"Figure It Out"
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
In the case of the panel, it'll likely be the stars of whatever shows Nick airs. If they can pay the game and not try to upstage the contestant, it should prolly work just fine.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
"Figure It Out"
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
Looks like Matt won't be surprised.

So for me, the question is, do kids care how well the celebrities play the game? Are they rooting for the contestant to win, since the contestant is a kid like them, or are they rooting for the panel to solve the puzzle, since that's where the majority of the focus is during the half-hour? Or do kids just want to see slime and messy clues dropped on celebrities' heads, and don't care about the outcome of the game?

(Personally, I was rooting for the panel, but I was moving out of the demographic by that time. Which is likely the reason I wished they weren't so overt about making sure the slime got dropped in every single round.)