Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When Reality Contestants Revolt!  (Read 9415 times)

Bryce L.

When Reality Contestants Revolt!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
Now, if I may for a second, let me undo my hijack and go back to the topic at hand...am I the only one who's surprised this show is still on the air regardless, due to the exploitative nature of it? I mean, I'm in that kind of a boat myself and I'd never go on The Biggest Loser.

As much as I don't care for reality shows, I will admit I'm NOT suprised that it has lasted, and here's why: It gets ratings.

As long as you keep generating money for the network and the sponsors, your show will last, no matter how trashy it gets. Case in point: "The Jerry Springer Show"

Bryce L.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
This is one of the few reality shows on TV that actually offers a prize that ultimately beats the money- I wonder if they would have had the same problems if the grand prize (cash or merchandise) was under $50K.
The thing I don't understand is that in many cases the contestants are given a new lease on life. Why would you kick anyone off? I understand that thinning out the herd is the old standby for shows like this, but would it be so terrible to allow everyone to enjoy the ride, and you have some way to determine the three people who get to duke it out for the jackpot?
Well, you're still labeling it as a contest. People would still have to compete to get to that final three, which means there's some sort of conniving going on at some point- unless you take the three players with the largest percentage of weight loss after 10 or 12 weeks.

Great ideas, both to Travis for saying "Don't boot anybody" and to Jeremy for figuring out a plausible way of implementing that idea.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
The thing I don't understand is that in many cases the contestants are given a new lease on life. Why would you kick anyone off? I understand that thinning out the herd is the old standby for shows like this, but would it be so terrible to allow everyone to enjoy the ride, and you have some way to determine the three people who get to duke it out for the jackpot?
<sarcasm coming> What do you mean by "thinning out the herd"?<sarcasm out>
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
These contestants are stupid. You signed a contract, you play the game. Not only that, this should be some motivation to work harder for the top prize. Not only that, it makes you all look greedy and there only for the money. Who cares about how your actual life will improve after the weight loss? Absolutely ridiculous.

As for the ESPN-Lin Debacle, he should've known better. There's already a thousand "Lin puns" everywhere, there is honestly no other way people would react to that other than to think of it as some backhanded racist pun. We live in such a sensitive and judgmental world, he should've known better. The fact that it didn't cross his minds shows they didn't realize this. It doesn't mean he's some sort of closet bigots, it just means he didn't look at all angles. Unfortunately, it cost him his job. I don't think it should have, but zero tolerance seems to go over well with the public.

It is amazing how words change and take on other meanings as time goes on. People begin to misuse them and before you know it, it's the new meaning.

/I miss the Gay 90s Popcorn Cart from TPIR.
//At least The Flintstones are still on television.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Great ideas, both to Travis for saying "Don't boot anybody" and to Jeremy for figuring out a plausible way of implementing that idea.
As rightly maligned as Kid Nation was, they managed to pull it off: nobody was ever kicked out, and they had a vote at the end to see which of the citizens would get a larger cash prize.

I don't remember where I saw this or whether it was Germany or Netherlands, but there was a weight loss competition show where the contestants had all the assistance they wanted over the time period and the person who shed the most weight would win that amount in gold. On the other hand, the home was equipped with a shame pantry where contestants could indulge in their favorite foods that would be a no-no when dieting. So it was a devious mixture.

Do a Krypton Factor pentathlon, or obstacle course, or nutrition quiz, or endurance cage match. There's umpteen ways that you can have a final group from a larger contendership. I just don't think it is right to take away the tools that the contestants have, in the form of onsite training and equipment and nutritional advice. Plus the players have probably taken three months or so off, expecting that they're going to spend eight hours a day (or more) doing intense training. And then it gets taken away because that person is "a threat with too much weight to lose" or they're in the wrong alliance/clique.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
Who cares about The Biggest Loser? The big news is that Carrot Top says his buff days are over. Oh darn.

http://www.poprock80s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/carrottop.jpg

Carrot Top, take a number and go stand behind Joe Piscopo.

Neumms

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
/I miss the Gay 90s Popcorn Cart from TPIR.

Another game show note: Anyone else remember the week on Mike Reilly's Monopoly when the player in the center position, previously referred to as "the yellow player," became "the gold player?" He was an Asian-American fellow.

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
(with some clever, though questionable, wordplay)
Better or worse than the guys at ESPN who were turfed over "trying to find a chink in Jeremy Lin's armor"?

The really questionable wordplay is the title of the frigging show.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
If the rest of the season's cancelled, split the $250K between the remaining contestants at the time of the walkout.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
If the rest of the season's cancelled, split the $250K between the remaining contestants at the time of the walkout.
Reward all of them for screwing over your show.  GOOD plan!

On the TMZ television show last night, the consensus in the bullpen was pretty much what I said earlier.  If they all want to walk out, cancel their season and bring a new bunch in.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:47:18 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

toddyo

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Look what it has gotten them though: free publicity. Follow the Randy Michaels philosophy. Get everyone to talk about you. It works. TMZ, ET, Inside Edition, Extra, etc. Free advertising for a program that may not be on that affiliate's network. Brilliant!  And yes, is the Biggest Loser becoming the new WWTBAM with the burnout factor?

weaklink75

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
I wonder if this will be the final straw that kills the show...the ratings are down, it's an older show, and fans have said it has never really been the same since Jillian Michaels left last year. Of course with NBC in such disarray (they should rename it the Needs Booting Constantly network), you never know.
Churning out season after season with minimal breaks can't be helping it, either. But hey,, I'd imagine the show doesn't cost a whole lot to produce compared to most other prime time fare, and they've made a brand out of it. Now they've got cruises, exercise retreats, exercise gear, cookbooks, videotapes, and a Weight Watchers-type meal plan. I don't know how well that stuff will sell if they don't have a TV product.

True...and you forgot the BL-branded Visa card..

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
Carrot Top, take a number and go stand behind Joe Piscopo.
Crap on Teh Top all you want, but the man seems to have found a niche with his Vegas show. Inebriated gamblers are apparently more than willing to drop $80 on a ticket to watch him play with his junk.

/eye bleach is available in the lobby, right next to the the $50 T-shirts
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trustno1

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
I have to make a comment about this.
On the version shown in my homeland we have had people return in most series.  Now, true the remaining competitors are not happy about this, but they have never walked out.  I would reckon that this would amount to a breach of contract here.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
Inebriated gamblers are apparently more than willing to drop $80 on a ticket to watch him play with his junk.

Didn't Louie Anderson get in trouble for something like that?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:46:50 PM by knagl »