Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy's Golden Anniversary in 2014  (Read 14370 times)

40onTheBlue

Jeopardy's Golden Anniversary in 2014
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
We all know that 2014 will mark the thirtieth anniversary of the current version of Jeopardy! However, what should be cause for greater celebration is that Sunday, March 30th of that year will actually be the show's fiftieth birthday, as it was on that date in 1964 that its first ever episode aired on NBC. What do you think the show should do to mark such an incredible milestone? Special airings of whatever Art Fleming-hosted episodes may be left in broadcast quality? A week's worth of episodes of the current version staged on a replica of the original's set? (a board of pull cards covered by a blue curtain, the old oval logo, "Take Ten" playing over the credits, etc.) I just think it'd be interesting and fun to show the current generation how it was all done back in the day for history's sake. Whether it's cost effective or even possible to begin with...well, discuss.

I have quite a sinking feeling that two years from now, Sony will just gloss over the original Jeopardy!, totally ignore both the 1974-75 syndicated run and the ill-fated 1978-79 revival and focus all of its attention on the current version. Not that thirty successful years of continuous broadcasts isn't a remarkable feat in itself - I only hope they'll pay more homage to the deeper roots of the show than they've done in past anniversaries.

How much am I dreaming in 3D and 5.1 surround sound here?
Greetings from Canada.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
I have quite a sinking feeling that two years from now, Sony will just gloss over the original Jeopardy!, totally ignore both the 1974-75 syndicated run and the ill-fated 1978-79 revival and focus all of its attention on the current version. Not that thirty successful years of continuous broadcasts isn't a remarkable feat in itself - I only hope they'll pay more homage to the deeper roots of the show than they've done in past anniversaries.

How much am I dreaming in 3D and 5.1 surround sound here?

My feelings exactly. They won't even mention Art Fleming - certainly not recreate his set. Still, they'll find something to do to celebrate thirty years of Alex Trebek. I couldn't tell you what it will be, or even if it will be any good.

Speaking of 3D - mark my words, Jeopardy will be the third game show to go 3D, right after Wheel Of Fortune. Anybody else find it really weird that the first game show to be broadcast in 3D was High Stakes Poker, a GSN show that arguably doesn't count as a game show at all?

toddyo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
My question: why does a show need to be in 3D in the first play? It's television!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
My question: why does a show need to be in 3D in the first play? It's television!
As the owner of a 3DTV, the answer is: because it's kinda cool. Association Football is a BLAST to watch in 3D. A free copy of Avatar came with my 3D Blu-Ray player, and the 3D effects almost make it tolerable. (Almost.)

Now, if the question were: "why does a GAME show need to be in 3D in the first place?", the answer is: it doesn't. It REALLY doesn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »
You'll be eating your words when Peyton Manning finally hangs 'em up and starts his new career in television with the smash hit The All-New 3D Cut That Meat.

JakeT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
You'll be eating your words when Peyton Manning finally hangs 'em up and starts his new career in television with the smash hit The All-New 3D Cut That Meat.

But who will wanna watch that crapola when you can watch classic CUT THAT MEAT on GSN...OH NO...WAIT...they just yanked it from the schedule for an extra airing of episodes of HIGH STAKES DANCING WITH THE AMAZING SANITATION CREW ON ICE!

JakeT

Fedya

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Now, if the question were: "why does a GAME show need to be in 3D in the first place?", the answer is: it doesn't. It REALLY doesn't.
What about Wipeout (assuming you consider that a game show)?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

DoItRockapella

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
What about Wipeout (assuming you consider that a game show)?

Wipeout is a game show in my mind, and a physical game show of that sort makes a LOT more sense for being shown in 3D than a poker show, a light word game, or a quiz show.

Let's face it though - if I have my facts right, Wheel Of Fortune was both the first game show to have closed-captions and the first game show to be broadcast in HD, with Jeopardy following soon after on both counts. Regardless of whether you think 3DTV is a good idea, you have to admit that High Stakes Poker was very, very lucky to be one of the first TV shows to be broadcast that way.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »
Wipeout is a game show in my mind, and a physical game show of that sort makes a LOT more sense for being shown in 3D than a poker show, a light word game, or a quiz show.
Wipeout would be great in 3D (in fact, since it's eye candy and pretty much nothing else, it would be just about the perfect candidate for 3D), but if Ted's citing it to try to poke a hole in my claim above, then he's clearly letting semantics get in the way of understanding my point.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:21:12 AM »
Meh.  At least Jeopardy has things that could be 3D-able.  I still can't figure out how 3D Wheel would work outside of prize copy.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
Meh.  At least Jeopardy has things that could be 3D-able.
Um, like? Flying out the clue when it's picked? No difference between that and 3D-ifying the "Tossup" and "Final Spin" and Jackpot Round bumpers.

The thing about 3DTV is that it is at its best when it's natural. When they throw something in for the sake of being 3D (like, in every 3D movie you see, there HAS to be an explosion where crap flies towards the camera. Every time. Doesn't matter if the shot doesn't make sense in any other way.), it looks stupid. Jeopardy! would be NOTHING BUT 3D-for-its-own-sake. No thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:53:30 AM by clemon79 »

Fedya

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
The thing about 3DTV is that it is at its best when it's natural. When they throw something in for the sake of being 3D (like, in every 3D movie you see, there HAS to be an explosion where crap flies towards the camera. Every time. Doesn't matter if the shot doesn't make sense in any other way.), it looks stupid.
3D was that way in its original incarnation back in the 1950s for the most part.  One of the few exceptions from what I understand is Inferno in which Robert Ryan is trapped in the desert and from articles I've read from people who have been lucky enough to see it in 3D on a big screen, the 3D often makes the desert look deeper and more imposing.  (The movie does have its cheesy shots designed to have things fly out of the screen at the viewer that don't really add artistic value.)

Wipeout would be great in 3D (in fact, since it's eye candy and pretty much nothing else, it would be just about the perfect candidate for 3D), but if Ted's citing it to try to poke a hole in my claim above, then he's clearly letting semantics get in the way of understanding my point.
I was only being partly serious; I had some other more frivolous examples bordering on the tasteless that I edited out of the original response.  But if you want slightly more serious: film losing contestants on Russian Roulette from below so that when they fall through the trap door it looks like they're coming out of the screen.  Not that I'm particularly interested in seeing it, since I prefer good game play and movies with good stories.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

40onTheBlue

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
Folks, this is all fascinating stuff indeed but can we please turn back to my original question? What would you like to see the producers of Jeopardy! do to mark the show's fiftieth anniversary in 2014?

Thanks.
Greetings from Canada.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
Folks, this is all fascinating stuff indeed but can we please turn back to my original question? What would you like to see the producers of Jeopardy! do to mark the show's fiftieth anniversary in 2014?

Thanks.
Tip of the hat to Merv, Art Fleming, Don Pardo, show some old clips.  Bring out a cake and celebrate!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
For a whole bunch of people here what they'd like Jeopardy to do and what they're going to do are probably very different things.

New graphics package, maybe some wacky clips coming in and out of breaks. That's about it. They're probably not going to do a tournament of classic champions and they're almost certainly not going to go to the trouble and expense to build a set for a week of shows. Be happy if we get a mention at all.
Travis L. Eberle