Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password game maintenance  (Read 2296 times)

Adam Nedeff

Password game maintenance
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
I took my Fine Edition to a board game convention over the weekend and noticed everyone having a little trouble reading the words. The windows are a little bit fogged up, so to speak. Is there a good way to go about cleaning those, if/when necessary?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:57:18 PM »
I took my Fine Edition to a board game convention over the weekend and noticed everyone having a little trouble reading the words. The windows are a little bit fogged up, so to speak. Is there a good way to go about cleaning those, if/when necessary?
Well, if that fog is from the plastic getting scratched from years of rough cardboard rubbing over it, I'm not sure how you polish soft plastic. I assume the Fine edition cardholders are the same "leatherette" that the normal ones were, just with the woodgrain pattern?

(Apparently there do exist polishes for soft plastics (like this) but I don't know if I would recommend it for this purpose. (Hmm, when did I get an unpunched 5th Edition?) You could also perform a little surgery on a throwaway cardholder from another edition (one of those horrid yellow ones would be a good candidate) and see if you couldn't VERY CAREFULLY cut out the window with an Xacto knife and glue a new bit of plastic in there, but I'm not sure that's a good idea either. Probably the vinyl polish thing is a better idea.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
In the worst case, you could remove the red plastic and give your players red-tinted glasses to wear, kind of like the ones they use with 3D movies.

Give them these and tell them to close one eye:

http://www.studio3d.com/images/For_Sale/ana_cyan.jpg

Or not.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:38:51 PM by chris319 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
Give them these and tell them to close one eye:
"Why does everything have a red outline?" -Me
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
Wouldn't red cellophane like this be easy to find at any arts and crafts store?

[size="1"]EDIT: Changed "plastic" to the word I struggled to think of: "cellophane".[/size]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:22:09 PM by Kevin Prather »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Wouldn't red plastic like this be easy to find at any arts and crafts store?
It probably would be. The trick would be fastening it inside of the wallet such that the cards didn't catch on it when you tried to put them in. (Look inside one of the wallets sometime and you'll see what I mean.)

It sounds like what Adam is trying to do is specifically preserve his Fine Edition wallets, since those are the only ones I know of with the woodgrain design. Otherwise, two bucks at a thrift store nips this problem right in the bud.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »
It sounds like what Adam is trying to do is specifically preserve his Fine Edition wallets, since those are the only ones I know of with the woodgrain design.
Bingo.