Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek's Successor  (Read 35495 times)

Jay Temple

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
I won't disagree with Mark Walberg, and I haven't seen Pat Kiernan. I also don't think how someone previously did as a contestant means anything about whether they can host, at least for this show. I'd like to suggest Bob Costas, though.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
I also don't think how someone previously did as a contestant means anything about whether they can host,
If someone isn't able to handle the material when they're playing, what makes you think they'll be able to handle the accents and foreign languages and other stuff that Jeopardy throws at Alex? Is it a perfect indicator, no, of course not. But when someone says "Wolf Blitzer," the first thing I think of is his cratering on Jeopardy and not his work on CNN.
Travis L. Eberle

tpirfan28

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
I won't disagree with Mark Walberg, and I haven't seen Pat Kiernan. I also don't think how someone previously did as a contestant means anything about whether they can host, at least for this show. I'd like to suggest Bob Costas, though.
Get comfy, grab a drink, and enjoy.

(I think his work on Pop Culture represents Jeopardy! work closer than Grand Slam.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
If someone isn't able to handle the material when they're playing, what makes you think they'll be able to handle the accents and foreign languages and other stuff that Jeopardy throws at Alex?
What makes you think Alex can handle them?  I speak German and Russian, and cringe when I hear Alex pronounce words in either of those languages.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

WhirlieBird74

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
Here's my Top 3 Replacements.  Seriously.

1)  Pat Kiernan - His voice can entrance the contestants to listen to him very carefully.  Every show Pat has done, he's read questions extremely well.
2)  Jeff Probst - Having already hosted R&R Jeopardy for VH1, 'Survivor' will (hopefully) be cancelled the season Alex decides to quit 'giving the answers'.
3)  Tim Brando - Once considered a replacement for Pat Sajak on the daytime 'Wheel of Fortune', the CBS sportscaster is a very eloquent speaker.

DrBear

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Will Ferrell.

How about Watson hosting? :-)

Doesn't take the game seriously enough.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Flerbert419

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Every show Pat has done, he's read questions extremely well.

Just because everybody seems to have forgotten about it, here's Pat in Studio 7, reading legitimate Jeopardy-like questions.

Casey

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
If someone isn't able to handle the material when they're playing, what makes you think they'll be able to handle the accents and foreign languages and other stuff that Jeopardy throws at Alex? Is it a perfect indicator, no, of course not. But when someone says "Wolf Blitzer," the first thing I think of is his cratering on Jeopardy and not his work on CNN.
I don't think it's any kind of indicator at all.  It's a vastly different experience reading questions than having to quickly answer them.  I just don't see how you can draw any conclusion about someone's hosting ability based on that.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
Get comfy, grab a drink, and enjoy.

(I think his work on Pop Culture represents Jeopardy! work closer than Grand Slam.)
Squee! Nice to see some of the gameplay uploaded as opposed to ads.
Travis L. Eberle

knagl

• Executive Producer
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 04:13:40 AM »
What's Jim Caldwell up to these days?

MikeK

• Martha!
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
What's Jim Caldwell up to these days?
He's the new Baltimore Ravens' QB coach.  That or about 210 lbs.

davemackey

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »
Jimmy Maguire from the Clue Crew. He would work so well and he's already known to the Jeopardy! audience.

Unrealtor

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Jimmy Maguire from the Clue Crew. He would work so well and he's already known to the Jeopardy! audience.

Not a bad answer. Doesn't he host the rehearsal mini-games?

The big problem I'd see with Kiernan is that he'd probably have to choose between giving up his job at NY1 or a pretty exhausting routine of doing early-morning news in NYC during the week then flying to LA for even more television during the weekend, since I can't imagine Harry Friedman relocating production to the east coast.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jimmy Owen

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

Not a bad answer. Doesn't he host the rehearsal mini-games?

The big problem I'd see with Kiernan is that he'd probably have to choose between giving up his job at NY1 or a pretty exhausting routine of doing early-morning news in NYC during the week then flying to LA for even more television during the weekend, since I can't imagine Harry Friedman relocating production to the east coast.
If they want him, they can work around his schedule.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
If they want him, they can work around his schedule.
And if he wants it, he can quit NY1.  Nobody says you have to  -- or even get to -- keep all your jobs all the time.  I betcha hosting Jeopardy would pay a living wage.

/Generally annoyed by speculation threads, especially when they devolve into these sorts of specifics.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.