Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek's Successor  (Read 35487 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
How much does it cost to book a venus? I can't imagine Venus being cheap (or hospitable).
I have no idea, but I'm guessing that the ShoWare Center doesn't let the circus or the Harlem Globetrotters take up space for free. And that's just a smallish arena in a Seattle suburb. If you want to take over a performance hall or convention center floor, that's way more.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:11:11 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
And you need to book a venus, which isn't cheap.
I can't imagine Venus being cheap (or hospitable).
I can imagine a hospitable Venus.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ten96lt

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
I don't see how it can be that expensive if they do 3 weeks of shows there (say tournament and a week of regular or celebrity shows) and you do it at a college near a large city.
Have you ever rented a moving truck?

Now multiply that by forty and pay a bunch of guys to move your cargo (make sure they don't drop or scratch anything, for Pete's sake!)

and buy a bunch of airline tickets to send the crew there.

Now you need to buy up an entire floor at the Holiday Inn to make sure people have a place to stay.

And you need to book a venus, which isn't cheap.

I can completely understand why Jeopardy would choose to stay home and ride out the downturn. The show is more interesting for being "away," but it isn't any worse at home.
I have rented a moving truck, yes it's not inexpensive I'll give you that. As for movers and venue, (going off my example) "Hey Northwestern, you want us to showcase your campus and college for the next 3 weeks to millions of people? How about giving us a deal on using your ampitheatre and use of your workers to unload and set up?" As for crew, I send the essential ones to the location and the rest I recruit from the local affiliates.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
I have rented a moving truck, yes it's not inexpensive I'll give you that. As for movers and venue, (going off my example) "Hey Northwestern, you want us to showcase your campus and college for the next 3 weeks to millions of people? How about giving us a deal on using your ampitheatre and use of your workers to unload and set up?" As for crew, I send the essential ones to the location and the rest I recruit from the local affiliates.
You seem to be missing the overarching point, which is "this all has SOME extra expense, which by definition is always more than NO extra expense, and for virtually no return on the investment." If I'm making budget cuts (or hell, just looking to maximize my profits, which is the job of any publicly-held company), that's the FIRST sort of expense that gets the axe.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ten96lt

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
You seem to be missing the overarching point, which is "this all has SOME extra expense, which by definition is always more than NO extra expense, and for virtually no return on the investment." If I'm making budget cuts (or hell, just looking to maximize my profits, which is the job of any publicly-held company), that's the FIRST sort of expense that gets the axe.
I'm saying, the main point of these traveling shows is to bring buzz and promote the show in a different way. I'm questioning whether it was worth staying home, but losing the potential marketing value of promoting the show by traveling.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:14:50 PM by ten96lt »

clemon79

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
I'm saying, the main point of these traveling shows is to bring buzz and promote the show in a different way. I'm questioning whether it was worth staying home, but losing the potential marketing value of promoting the show by traveling.
Understood, which is why I am questioning the return on the investment. These are not two shows that really need that sort of promotion; they seem to be doing just fine and dandy without it. You can't tell me you're more or less likely to watch based on whether or not they do these road trips, because I'm pretty sure you are glued to the set regardless. So why should they pay for it?

ten96lt

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »
Understood, which is why I am questioning the return on the investment. These are not two shows that really need that sort of promotion; they seem to be doing just fine and dandy without it. You can't tell me you're more or less likely to watch based on whether or not they do these road trips, because I'm pretty sure you are glued to the set regardless. So why should they pay for it?
Touché, because I don't really notice it with J! or WoF, but all the time the reaction I hear when I talk about WWTBAM is, "That show's still on the air?!?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:54:24 AM by ten96lt »

clemon79

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »
Touché, because I don't really notice it with J! or WoF, but all the time the reaction I hear when I talk about WWTBAM is, "That show's still on the air?!?"
Yeah, to use your anecdote about WWTBAM as evidence is just a ridiculous fallacy. You're not even talking about the same GALAXY as J! and WoF.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
Yeah, to use your anecdote about WWTBAM as evidence is just a ridiculous fallacy. You're not even talking about the same GALAXY as J! and WoF.
But God bless Meredith, she's trying.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Don Howard

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
But God bless Meredith, she's trying.
I agree with you. She has the same energy if not more in her 10th season as host than in her 1st. She is wonderful.

clemon79

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
I agree with you. She has the same energy if not more in her 10th season as host than in her 1st. She is wonderful.
Not suggesting she's not doing a fine job. I'm just pointing out what a ridiculous juggernaut J! and Wheel are in that arena.

Don Howard

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Not suggesting she's not doing a fine job. I'm just pointing out what a ridiculous juggernaut J! and Wheel are in that arena.
Gotcha. Thank you, man.
Is it me or does it not seem like close to 10 years has gone by since Meredith began hosting WWBTAM? Time is flying!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:42:45 PM by Don Howard »

goongas

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
According to this link, Pat Kiernan's dream job would be hosting Jeopardy!

Interview with Pat Kiernan

DrBear

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2012, 12:16:09 AM »
I, for one, would have no objection to that.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

Alex Trebek's Successor
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »
Let's make this happen.