Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your favorite GS meltdown  (Read 11427 times)

Jimmy Owen

Your favorite GS meltdown
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »
A close second, which may or may not exist: Gene Wood introducing "Bill White and Betty Cullen" on Password Plus.  When NBC aired it, there was a definite cut in the tape, after which Gene reads the names correctly, but you can see a couple of people in the background (I would say Bill and Betty themselves, but did Bill walk to the podium for P+, or did he start the show there?) literally falling over themselves laughing (the only way you know what happened was, the host (I can't remember if it was Allen or someone else) mentioned it later in the show); however, since GSN has episodes with scenes that never aired, there's a (slim) chance they could have this intact.
Although I'm not saying that it never happened, I would have to say that I do have my doubts.  Chris C. could probably give a bit more insight on this as well.  My thought is that if something went wrong at the very top of the episode, especially at the opening moments and introductions, wouldn't they have been more likely to have simply cut tape and started over from the top rather than created a noticeable clumsy edit when it wasn't really necessary to do so?
Maybe I'm just misreading this, but I thought Don was saying that it did happen, as evidenced by it being referred to later in the show, but he's not sure there's any existing footage of it.

But when Don said "When NBC aired it, there was a definite cut in the tape", my thinking is that they would not have aired an opening with a noticeable edit in the very first seconds of the episode.  Sure, I can easily believe that Gene Wood innocently blooped their names but I can't believe that they wouldn't have simply stopped tape and restarted it all from the top so that there would be NO noticeable edit in the opening.  In fact, since it was an episode featuring Bill Cullen as a celebrity guest, both he and Betty would have already been seated at the desk during the opening so a complete reshoot from the top would have been rather easy, wouldn't it?  In Don's account, it would have looked and sounded incredibly sloppy and unprofessional since the music would almost certainly jump from one spot to another due to the edit along with whatever visual edit would have been made.

If the issue is whether the actual mistake footage exists, I would seriously doubt it since it was edited out before the original airing.  My issue is that I'm saying that I kinda have doubts about the alleged edited opening because it seems very unlikely, which then in turn makes me possibly question the entire recollection.  I'm not suggesting in any way, form or fashion that Don is misleading anyone but instead is possibly just having a fuzzy memory.  I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

Chris C., any thoughts about a situation like this?

JakeT
It could have happened. I remember Gene misread "Loni Anderson" as "Lori Anderson" on WLD.  Since she was Burt R's sig other at the time, it was kind of a big deal.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
In a similar vein, there was an early Password ep where Bill Cullen was on the panel. He introduced himself and said that "we're all here to pass Playword." Cue Jack Clark then introducing the show as "Yes, it's Playword!"
Bobby Peacock

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
In a similar vein, there was an early Password ep where Bill Cullen was on the panel. He introduced himself and said that "we're all here to pass Playword." Cue Jack Clark then introducing the show as "Yes, it's Playword!"
Of course, the reason that isn't similar at all is because Bill did it on purpose, and Jack Clark cleverly picked up on it to extend the joke.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Of course, the reason that isn't similar at all is because Bill did it on purpose, and Jack Clark cleverly picked up on it to extend the joke.

Bill's spoonerism didn't seem intentional to me.
Bobby Peacock

dale_grass

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »

Just goes to show you how good he was.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

We get it. You know the word.

Bill did that intentionally on Blockbusters and Hot Potato as well.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
If that counts as a "meltdown," then I nominate the "Egyptian's favorite game show" incident from JackPot!.
Got me curious. Explain?

whewfan

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »
If that counts as a "meltdown," then I nominate the "Egyptian's favorite game show" incident from JackPot!.
Got me curious. Explain?

There was an incident on Jackpot that resulted in an AUDIENCE meltdown... one of the few times they actually tried to give away $50,000 in the Super Jackpot, they had a riddle whose answer was so obscure, the audience went NUTS, causing Geoff to duck behind the bleachers where the contestants sit!

JakeT

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Got me curious. Explain?

There was an incident on Jackpot that resulted in an AUDIENCE meltdown... one of the few times they actually tried to give away $50,000 in the Super Jackpot, they had a riddle whose answer was so obscure, the audience went NUTS, causing Geoff to duck behind the bleachers where the contestants sit!

Although I've never seen the episode or have heard the answer, could the answer have been "The $10,000 Pyramid"?  If so, was that really all that obscure of an answer?

JakeT

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Got me curious. Explain?

Although I've never seen the episode or have heard the answer, could the answer have been "The $10,000 Pyramid"?  If so, was that really all that obscure of an answer?
There has to be more to it than that, because I've never heard of this either, and "Pyramid" was my immediate answer as well. Even if the players failed to solve it, it's hardly obscure enough to cause a studio audience rebellion.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.