Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: alphabetics question  (Read 11442 times)

dale_grass

alphabetics question
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »

Mike Tennant

alphabetics question
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
On a related note, has anyone on Password ever gotten away with a clue for a homophone of the word? For instance, a clue for "flower" when the word is "flour"?
There's nothing to get away with. You can say any single word (within the boundaries of a legal clue) that you want. Nowhere in said boundaries does it say that it must be a logical clue for the word inside of the wallet.
I think the surprise is more in the fact that a homophone is a legal clue to begin with.  I, for one, wouldn't have thought so until you told me otherwise.
Not quite. The question is whether one can give a clue that leads to a homophone of the password. In the example given, if the password is "flour," the giver might choose to say "tulip" in hopes that his partner would reply "flower," which is a homophone of the password.

Mr. Armadillo

alphabetics question
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
Ah, so I was the one that misread.  Not the first time that's happened, and certainly far from the last.

Carry on.

Jimmy Owen

alphabetics question
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
I agree, that's the flaw in Password Plus.  If the puzzle clue password is "fall" and the puzzle is "Humpty Dumpty," the word fall does not refer to the season of fall but the action.
I fail to see where that's a flaw, if you're capable of mentally disconnecting the clue-giving and puzzle-solving parts of the game, which I would suggest is a quality a good P+ player should have.
Here's a hypothetical-The password is "reign."  The clue given is "sunshine"  Would that merit a buzz from the judge?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
Here's a hypothetical-The password is "reign."  The clue given is "sunshine"  Would that merit a buzz from the judge?
I would say no. Now if the password was "sunshine", and the player tried to argue he was saying "reign", auto-buzz.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:02:44 PM by Kevin Prather »

trainman

alphabetics question
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »
Wait, why would "rain" be the opposite of "sunshine"? For example, it's quite possible to encounter them both at the same time.
trainman is a man of trains

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
alphabetics question
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Wait, why would "rain" be the opposite of "sunshine"? For example, it's quite possible to encounter them both at the same time.

Reason number whatever why the "no opposites" rule should never have been used, IMO. I don't buy cat/dog as opposites, either.

(The Harry/hairy thing reminds me — we had a discussion on the Jeopardy! forums this past week as to whether or not "don" and "dawn" are homophones. I've always said Harry and hairy the same way myself.)
Bobby Peacock

chrisholland03

alphabetics question
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »

Reason number whatever why the "no opposites" rule should never have been used, IMO. I don't buy cat/dog as opposites, either.

(The Harry/hairy thing reminds me — we had a discussion on the Jeopardy! forums this past week as to whether or not "don" and "dawn" are homophones. I've always said Harry and hairy the same way myself.)

Along those lines, had an interesting conversation last night about the pronunciation of 'Barry' 'bury' and 'berry'.  And yes, they like 'Harry' and 'hairy' have different pronunciations.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
alphabetics question
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
Reason number whatever why the "no opposites" rule should never have been used, IMO.
I am *so* glad we disagree on this.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe