Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: alphabetics question  (Read 11444 times)

Clay Zambo

alphabetics question
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I liked the "no opposites" rule.  Having opposites just made the game way too easy.  I agree when Ludden said at the time that it made the game more "pure".
We actually play "no opposites" when we play at game night, for exactly this reason.

I don't see the increased purity in disallowing opposites; they seem perfectly valid clues to me.  Now, if you had a rule allowing multiple-word clues and then revoked it, I'd buy that argument.

Want to talk "pure" Password?  Axe the rule allowing that the password be a phrase or acronym. Yes, "eye" and "network" would get me to think of "CBS," but I don't think "CBS" is one word.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
alphabetics question
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
I don't see the increased purity in disallowing opposites; they seem perfectly valid clues to me.
They are too easy. Disallowing them encourages creativity in your clue-giving, which is *absolutely* pure Password.

Want to talk "pure" Password?  Axe the rule allowing that the password be a phrase or acronym. Yes, "eye" and "network" would get me to think of "CBS," but I don't think "CBS" is one word.
"The Password is always a SINGLE word, not hyphenated and NOT a proper noun." So it is written, so it shall be, and anyone who fails to heed this rule is merely pretending. Period. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

alphabetics question
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
That's why I didn't like it when they went to that no opposites rule. To me it felt like change just for the sake of it.
I may be in the minority here, but I liked the "no opposites" rule.  Having opposites just made the game way too easy.  I agree when Ludden said at the time that it made the game more "pure".
I'll join you in the minority. I wouldn't call it purer, but I'd say it was more interesting.

Here's the trade-off, to me. Even during P+, it was apparent that viewers had a shorter attention span than before, because they shortened it from six clues per password to four. It doesn't make for good television if too many passwords (or worse, puzzles) go unsolved. At the same time, having too many puzzles solved on one or two clues not only hurts the budget but makes the puzzles less interesting. And a lot of interesting puzzles were possible because of passwords for which an opposite was the best, if not the only clue.

How many good clues are even possible for "south"?

ETA: Clay, I'm also with you on the passwords themselves. My rule when I make up puzzles is, if at all possible, don't have a password that wouldn't be legal as a clue.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:03:11 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

alphabetics question
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Other than cardinal directions (minus north of course), all I can think of is saying the name of a southern state with a southern drawl.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
alphabetics question
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
I don't see the increased purity in disallowing opposites; they seem perfectly valid clues to me.
They are too easy. Disallowing them encourages creativity in your clue-giving, which is *absolutely* pure Password.

How does it encourage creativity, honestly? If there's a word where the best clue or only clue that would lead you to the identity of the word is an opposite, wouldn't that take away from the gameplay?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
alphabetics question
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
Other than cardinal directions (minus north of course), all I can think of is saying the name of a southern state with a southern drawl.
Or possibly saying the word "direction" and let your voice trail off.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
How does it encourage creativity, honestly? If there's a word where the best clue or only clue that would lead you to the identity of the word is an opposite, wouldn't that take away from the gameplay?
Then you either pass it away and plan to steal it on the rebound or deflect and say something that doesn't point right at the password if your partner bungles it. As long as the clue logically links to the password, you're good. So maybe you set aside "direction" and "Dakota" and start with "Due", and inflect appropriately.

Not every password needs to be a one-hit kill.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:03:26 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
alphabetics question
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
How many good clues are even possible for "south"
Confederacy comes to mind immediately.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
alphabetics question
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
This was a problem with P+ and Super Password. Words were chosen to describe the subject of the puzzle, not because they were intrinsically interesting words to play. Before the "no opposites" rule, a password which could easily be played with an opposite (e.g. "cold" or "down" or "left") would be used to wrap up a match in a hurry, or in the Lightning Round.

Then there was the time Howard ruled that "cat" was the opposite of "dog". Allen called him on it, and rightfully so. I'm not sure how much of that incident was left in the show. Anybody? I seem to recall Allen remarking that it was a rare occurrence indeed for Howard to admit he was wrong.

BTW, if anyone has asked for a copy of the P+ bible and hasn't received one, please send me a message.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:35:21 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

alphabetics question
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
How does it encourage creativity, honestly?
Because...it forces you to come up with another clue aside from the braindead obvious one, because a braindead obvious word isn't nearly as fun? We don't like it when a team gets the play/pass option on an automatic point. That isn't strategy, that's luck. Password should be a game of skill and strategy. We'll pull out Can't Stop if we want luck.

If there's a word where the best clue

If the "best" clue has been deemed illegal, well, it isn't the best clue anymore, is it? I mean, by that definition, the BEST clue is the word itself, as that SNL skit keeps milking.

or only clue that would lead you to the identity of the word is an opposite
I have played a lot of Password. I mean, a LOT of Password. We have yet to come across a Password, in all the games we have played (so we're probably talking at least a couple thousand words at the minimum, although I strongly suspect we have played a fair bit more than 100 games in the years I have been playing games with my friends) where the *only* clue we could come up with was an opposite. In fact I daresay we have never seen a Password that we could come up with only one clue for, period, and I would further posit that if such a word exists it would be crappy material to include in the game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 07:50:56 PM »
We have yet to come across a Password, in all the games we have played (so we're probably talking at least a couple thousand words at the minimum, although I strongly suspect we have played a fair bit more than 100 games in the years I have been playing games with my friends)
I remember nights when it was you, me and the brothers and we'd barnstorm through ten packets before we stopped to take a breath. A hundred games seems light. There were a few groaners, but never one where it was so bad that there was but a single angle to a password, and never one that you could only get it through a direct antonym.

Restricting what you can do is what makes the game Password, because if you don't you're only two steps away from Pyramid. The challenge of the restrictions is the fun.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

alphabetics question
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
I remember nights when it was you, me and the brothers and we'd barnstorm through ten packets before we stopped to take a breath. A hundred games seems light.
Upon further review, I agree, since we almost never play fewer than three games at a throw, so that's 60 words right there. One three-game session every five weeks or so over the seven years I've known them is right around 200 games right there. And I suspect that is still estimating low.

DrBear

alphabetics question
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Or possibly saying the word "direction" and let your voice trail off.
"Dixie"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »

Fedya

alphabetics question
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
Austral, at least if I were playing with Tony Randall.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post