Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: alphabetics question  (Read 11451 times)

toetyper

alphabetics question
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
if. during alphabetics they buzz a clue for being illegal; then find out its in the dictionary, what happened?  give them the word.  ? redo?  L

BrandonFG

alphabetics question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Educated guess: if it was the 10th word, the contestant probably wins the jackpot. Otherwise they probably just get the extra $100.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
alphabetics question
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Educated guess: if it was the 10th word, the contestant probably wins the jackpot. Otherwise they probably just get the extra $100.
Don't forget, though, the P+ version only docked them $1000 (or appropriate multiplier in the later Kennedy episodes) for an illegal clue.  It didn't go the SP route of forfeiting the jackpot.

That said, you're probably right.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
if. during alphabetics they buzz a clue for being illegal; then find out its in the dictionary, what happened?  give them the word.  ? redo?  L
The easy solution is you don't buzz a clue for being illegal unless it is illegal.

If I'm running the show, replace the word, call backsies and roll tape.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

alphabetics question
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Don't forget, though, the P+ version only docked them $1000 (or appropriate multiplier in the later Kennedy episodes) for an illegal clue.  It didn't go the SP route of forfeiting the jackpot.

That said, you're probably right.
Forgot that it was just a 20% penalty...kinda makes it a little more anticlimactic compared to when Pyramid would do a reversal. I could see Allen/Bill/Tom simply saying the contestant gets the full jackpot, cue Mother McKenzie applause (no music or hugs), then the intro of the next opponent...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

cool245

alphabetics question
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
If you were on the last word and time was running out couldn't you just "accidentally" give an illegal clue and still get four grand.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
If you were on the last word and time was running out couldn't you just "accidentally" give an illegal clue and still get four grand.
The celebrity could (and did) give the password as the clue, the contestant picked up on it and won $4,000.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
The celebrity could (and did) give the password as the clue, the contestant picked up on it and won $4,000.
That just seems like all sorts of goofy to me. "Whoops! Four thousand dollars!"

Jeremy Nelson

alphabetics question
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
'
That just seems like all sorts of goofy to me. "Whoops! Four thousand dollars!"
Well, if there are one or two seconds remaining and it doesn't look like your partner is going to get it, then throw the last password and take the reduced cash reward. Granted, if that became a regular thing, then at some point either the rules would have changed so the entire jackpot was forfeited, or they just would not invite celebrities back who exploited the rule. Now I'm actually seeing why the contestant never got to give the clues.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
Well, if there are one or two seconds remaining and it doesn't look like your partner is going to get it, then throw the last password and take the reduced cash reward.
Exactly. Loopholes don't make for good television.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Here's the problem I have. I don't like a contestant losing out because a celebrity goofed. I also don't like having people exploit games to get paid because of loopholes. I think a happy compromise is that a goof reduces the jackpot accordingly, but saying the answer or doing something like that in the last five(ish?) seconds of the round disqualifies the game outright.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
Here's the problem I have. I don't like a contestant losing out because a celebrity goofed. I also don't like having people exploit games to get paid because of loopholes. I think a happy compromise is that a goof reduces the jackpot accordingly, but saying the answer or doing something like that in the last five(ish?) seconds of the round disqualifies the game outright.
The problem I have with that is your creating a rule with an exception. "If you do this, then this happens unless you do it this way, then that happens".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
alphabetics question
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
The problem I have with that is your creating a rule with an exception. "If you do this, then this happens unless you do it this way, then that happens".
That's interesting, because hockey and soccer have yellow/red cards and two/four/five minute minute penalties and nobody is clueless as to why.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

alphabetics question
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
That's interesting, because hockey and soccer have yellow/red cards and two/four/five minute minute penalties and nobody is clueless as to why.
Tom Kennedy didn't host soccer. :)

BrandonFG

alphabetics question
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
$4,000 was still a lot of coin in 1979. I would've reduced the jackpot by far more, celebrity goof or not. I'm honestly not a fan of making it so that celebs could only give, but again that 20% penalty is not really a penalty. $2,500 is a little more feasible, or if you give the contestant the option to give, it becomes $100 a word regardless.