Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's go to the Bonus Round...  (Read 9719 times)

uncamark

Let's go to the Bonus Round...
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2003, 12:28:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 02:55 PM\'] Split Second(?)--I was 8 years old at the time and only really enjoyed the part with the cars
 [/quote]
It may have been fun to watch in your youth, but is pick-a-key-and-let's-see-if-the-car-starts really that interesting a premise? I can think of a LOT of endgames more engaging than that. :)[/quote]
Back then, a Time magazine critic who was doing one of those "daytime television is the decline and fall of Western civilization" articles said that he liked the (perhaps unintended) nastiness of giving the winner on "Split Second" a new car and then taking it away from them if it didn't start.

I liked it (as I liked everything about that show), but one does wonder if the car gimmick is what might've sold the show to ABC, not the fast-paced battle of brains.  After all, those shots of the five cars in front of the flashing light panels look great in the ads and promos--and neither "J!" nor "3Ws" had that gimmick.

Lemonjello

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2003, 12:33:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 08:18 PM\'] Well now y'all can see the end game to the premiere episode of "Winning Lines" to totally refresh your memory of just how it played out. Scroll down to the "Bonus Round Madness" section for the updated clip. [/quote]
 Where is this "Bonus Round Madness" section that you speak of?

Neumms

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2003, 05:43:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:30 PM\'] [/QUOTE]
It may have been fun to watch in your youth, but is pick-a-key-and-let's-see-if-the-car-starts really that interesting a premise? [/quote]
 Well, it did beat the end game on "Search for Tomorrow," which my mother would be watching on the upstairs TV.

On the topic of "Mastermind"--did Michael Davies ever shoot a pilot back when they were talking about a US version? I know the show morphed into "2 Minute Drill"--did "Mastermind" have a similar Question-of-Great-Significance? (And for that matter, did it have a panel? What else happened on it?)

Little Big Brother

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2003, 06:14:21 PM »
did "Mastermind" have a similar Question-of-Great-Significance? (And for that matter, did it have a panel? What else happened on it?)

The show had four contestants.  One by one, they would sit in the chair and get pelted with questions about a specific subject of their choosing (i.e. The White Chapel Murders (Jack the Ripper)).  After all four contestants played, the lowest scoring contestant would begin the second round of general knowledge questions.  The player with the highest score wins and advances in the tournament.  I believe if there was a tie, the number of questions that a player passed would be taken into consideration (I'm not positive, I don't recall ever seeing a tie).  No prize, no QoGS, just a player, a chair, a spotlight, and a bombardment of questions from the host.

starcade

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2003, 06:16:45 PM »
I think it's possible -- there's no essential bonus round in TPiR (though there might be some discussion as to the Showcases being an equivalent concept...).

I would have one idea for the Million Dollar Spectaculars...

At bare minimum if no one has spun for the million on a particular show (or make it standard), the Showcase winner spins for a million.  Bonus spin rules apply.

The only way there's no guaranteed million-dollar spinner is if no one gets the dollar in the main showdowns and there's a double overbid.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2003, 08:31:16 PM »
Right.

As stated on loogslair.com, the Showcase round is the End Game.

In addition, I'd also consider the Final Round of Weakest Link an End Game, because that's where the money is won.

The first set of rounds is all about banking the money, which makes that part the Front Game.

But the Final Round, which is all about winning the money, is the End Game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2003, 02:07:18 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 12 2003, 06:31 PM\'] As stated on loogslair.com, the Showcase round is the End Game.
 [/quote]
 Will all due respect to Tim, who is a nice guy, a fine writer, and an excellent DDR player, his site is not the official authority on TPiR, and shouldn't be quoted as such.

Well, I suppose you COULD, but you'd look awfully silly doing it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2003, 02:11:35 AM »
As stated on loogslair.com, the Showcase round is the End Game.
While I would agree, see Chris' comment.
In addition, I'd also consider the Final Round of Weakest Link an End Game, because that's where the money is won.

The first set of rounds is all about banking the money, which makes that part the Front Game.

But the Final Round, which is all about winning the money, is the End Game.
I strongly disagree.  For some reason, I've always considered end games "extra" -- a bonus.  There is no bonus here, just a different type of game, played at the end.

Brandon Brooks

Lemonjello

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2003, 01:41:37 PM »
Can anyone answer my question above?

BrandonFG

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2003, 02:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 01:41 PM\'] Can anyone answer my question above? [/quote]
It's all the way at the bottom...look for a Bullseye and GO logo.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Lemonjello

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2003, 05:21:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 03:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 01:41 PM\'] Can anyone answer my question above? [/quote]
It's all the way at the bottom...look for a Bullseye and GO logo. [/quote]
 Heh. Thanks, but that doesn't help me, because I don't know the URL of the webpage. I'm new here.

BrandonFG

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2003, 05:26:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 05:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 03:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 01:41 PM\'] Can anyone answer my question above? [/quote]
Heh. Thanks, but that doesn't help me, because I don't know the URL of the webpage. I'm new here. [/quote]
 http://pageoclips.web1000.com/

And welcome! :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Lemonjello

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2003, 10:45:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 06:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 05:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 03:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Dec 13 2003, 01:41 PM\'] Can anyone answer my question above? [/quote]
Heh. Thanks, but that doesn't help me, because I don't know the URL of the webpage. I'm new here. [/quote]
http://pageoclips.web1000.com/

And welcome! :-) [/quote]
 Thank you!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2003, 05:06:20 PM »
Hey guys, I found a video clip of the Wonderwall from the British version of Winning Lines. Check this out:

http://www.celador.co.uk/programmes_past.php?id=38

HYHYBT

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2003, 03:54:40 AM »
At bare minimum if no one has spun for the million on a particular show (or make it standard), the Showcase winner spins for a million. Bonus spin rules apply.

1) It would make the million dollar spin feel like an afterthought, especially after all these decades of the Showcases being the big finish, and

2) The Big Wheel would be in the way of showing the prizes.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages