Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Boden Left!  (Read 16750 times)

dzinkin

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 01:36:25 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 12:48 PM\'] That brings up a question for me:

I know there are many specialty channels out there like VH-1 Classic and Nick GAS that don't show any commercials yet still remain on the air.

If the TV business is all about advertising, then how are these channels still in existence?  I've noticed a lot of channels that have used this format and I still struggle to see how they can make anyone any money.
 [/quote]
 Because Viacom owns VH-1 and Nickelodeon, which *do* have advertising and *do* make tons of money, Viacom can use those channels as leverage to get cable companies to carry channels like VH-1 Classic and Nick GAS.  The existence of the latter two can also be justified as promotional vehicles for, and brand extensions of, the first two.  Sony doesn't own lots of different channels (at least here in the USA), and I haven't seen Liberty use its other properties to promote GSN or vice versa -- so it has to justify its own existence, and that means making money through advertising.  (Where would Liberty promote GSN, anyway?  On Starz/Encore?  Doubtful.)

And I wouldn't necessarily count on VH-1 Classic and Nick GAS remaining commercial-free... remember TV Land, also from our friends at Viacom?  It was commercial-free at its inception (save for the "Retromercials"), but it isn't now.

- David

Don Howard

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2003, 01:48:34 PM »
remember TV Land, also from our friends at Viacom? It was commercial-free at its inception (save for the "Retromercials"), but it isn't now.

There's a channel that's hit the pits--at least at my house. That station showed
some gems for many years (Mannix, Have Gun Will Travel, Cannon, Judd For The Defense, Julia, Room 222, That Girl, etc.) and now it's pretty much TBS-style shows. Shame!!!!!!!!!!

zachhoran

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2003, 07:25:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 01:48 PM\']
There's a channel that's hit the pits--at least at my house. That station showed
some gems for many years (Mannix, Have Gun Will Travel, Cannon, Judd For The Defense, Julia, Room 222, That Girl, etc.) and now it's pretty much TBS-style shows. Shame!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
 The odds of them showing Cullen $25K Pyramid, Bobby Van Make me Laugh, or any other Viacom/Paramount-owned shows are what, about -100 to 1.

Jimmy Owen

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2003, 07:43:41 PM »
Well, Zach, if GSN cuts back on game shows, TV Land might consider using their holdings as change-of-pace niche programming.  After all, TV Land shows more sitcoms than, say, Comedy Central.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2003, 08:05:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:43 PM\'] Well, Zach, if GSN cuts back on game shows, TV Land might consider using their holdings as change-of-pace niche programming.  After all, TV Land shows more sitcoms than, say, Comedy Central. [/quote]
 Sounds nice, but I doubt it. Nick at Nite and TV Land are pulling towards more recent shows(i.e. those 10-20 years old) it seems to me.

PeterMarshallFan

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 08:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 09:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:43 PM\'] Well, Zach, if GSN cuts back on game shows, TV Land might consider using their holdings as change-of-pace niche programming.  After all, TV Land shows more sitcoms than, say, Comedy Central. [/quote]
Sounds nice, but I doubt it. Nick at Nite and TV Land are pulling towards more recent shows(i.e. those 10-20 years old) it seems to me. [/quote]
 Make Me Laugh was last seen on USA in 1987, so in that sense it would fit in that bracket. But still, I'd be hard pressed to think of a show more representative of the late 70's era than MML, so....

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2003, 11:02:55 PM »
I'd be hard pressed to think of a show more representative of the late 70's era than MML
Mindreaders.

uncamark

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2003, 12:58:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 07:43 PM\']Well, Zach, if GSN cuts back on game shows, TV Land might consider using their holdings as change-of-pace niche programming.  After all, TV Land shows more sitcoms than, say, Comedy Central.[/quote]
Basically, COM's research, as I understand it, has shown that their audience just doesn't care for most run-of-the-mill sitcoms.  Even if they chose to go for them, they wouldn't watch it, although they might watch a "SportsNight" or an original like "Strangers With Candy" or "Reno 911!"

And of course, there is support for animated sitcoms like "South Park" from COM audiences.

PeterMarshallFan

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2003, 04:35:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:02 AM\']
I'd be hard pressed to think of a show more representative of the late 70's era than MML
Mindreaders. [/quote]
True, for many of the same reasons with MML. Disco theme, disco-y set.....[not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 04:35:55 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Rhudson765

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2003, 10:50:45 PM »
Working for Jay Wolpert for god knows how many years and the crappy Anderson Feud is supposed to give us confidence in this guy????

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2003, 11:11:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 08:50 PM\'] Working for Jay Wolpert for god knows how many years and the crappy Anderson Feud is supposed to give us confidence in this guy????

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
 *sigh*

Ya know, sometimes, I WANT to say something....but in this case there just isn't a point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2003, 11:22:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 11:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 08:50 PM\'] Working for Jay Wolpert for god knows how many years and the crappy Anderson Feud is supposed to give us confidence in this guy????
 [/quote]
 I agree with Chris L. in that we should see how he handles Boden's job before we judge him on it(positive or negative). We have had issues with Mrgameshow Belinkoff in the past, here is a job he can shine in IF he wants to.

tomarkenfan77

Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2003, 01:08:23 AM »
I wonder if all the game shows we currently see will disappear.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2003, 01:48:30 AM »
[quote name=\'tomarkenfan77\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 11:08 PM\'] I wonder if all the game shows we currently see will disappear. [/quote]
 They might. And you know what will happen?

THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENED BEFORE WE HAD GSN.

We survived.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bob Boden Left!
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2003, 02:28:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 10:50 PM\'] Working for Jay Wolpert for god knows how many years and the crappy Anderson Feud is supposed to give us confidence in this guy????

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!! [/quote]
 This is coming from the same person that says I can't make an informed opinion about Bullseye without seeing a civilian episode.

When you get hired by a major TV production company or network, let me know.
--Mark
Phil 4:13