Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One year ago...  (Read 3221 times)

bandit_bobby

One year ago...
« on: December 08, 2003, 01:32:37 PM »
One year ago this week, Wheel of Fortune had a team who pulled a Michael Larson all day long. They were the Malones, Bonni and Karen(no relation to Karl). The team solved all of the puzzles(9, Including Toss-Ups and the Bonus Round puzzle), becoming the first team ever to do so, and if that wasn't great enough, they also took the big $100,000 check home! They finshed with $121,831 in cash and trip, and in the process became possibly the greatest players to ever play the game.

Folks, the first $100,000 victory the past two seasons has happened in December(Doug won two years ago, the aformentioned team above last year). Also, last year, the big prize was won on the first day AND the last day of an at-home sweepstakes(20 Cars in 20 Days). Will the impossible happen again when we start the $250K At-Home Sweepstakes(Doubt it, but anything can happen!), and/or December being the first hot month on the show? Keep tuning in to find out!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
One year ago...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 02:02:02 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:32 AM\'] One year ago this week, Wheel of Fortune had a team who pulled a Michael Larson all day long....They finshed with $121,831 in cash and trip, and in the process became possibly the greatest players to ever play the game.
 [/quote]
 ...and comparing them to Michael Larson is about as big an insult as I can think of.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

One year ago...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 06:32:52 PM »
Pulling a Michael Larsen implies that they finessed the wheel in order to beat the house. They didn't do this. I'd say they pulled more of a...Brian Weikle? Debbie Seppien? Anyroad, it was a shut-out.

zachhoran

One year ago...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 06:40:41 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:32 PM\'] One year ago this week, Wheel of Fortune had a team who pulled a Michael Larson all day long. They were the Malones, Bonni and Karen(no relation to Karl). The team solved all of the puzzles(9, Including Toss-Ups and the Bonus Round puzzle), becoming the first team ever to do so, and if that wasn't great enough, they also took the big $100,000 check home! They finshed with $121,831 in cash and trip, and in the process became possibly the greatest players to ever play the game.

Folks, the first $100,000 victory the past two seasons has happened in December(Doug won two years ago, the aformentioned team above last year). Also, last year, the big prize was won on the first day AND the last day of an at-home sweepstakes(20 Cars in 20 Days). Will the impossible happen again when we start the $250K At-Home Sweepstakes(Doubt it, but anything can happen!), and/or December being the first hot month on the show? Keep tuning in to find out! [/quote]
 Them pulling a Larson would mean they were always able to control the way their turns went the way Larson usually did, and they would have had a higher maingame total than $21K had they had Larson powers

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
One year ago...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:47:11 PM »
As to the original point of the post, you can bet your bank account that if Wheel had any $100,000 wins this year, they'll play during sweeps.  That's the beauty of the self-contained weeks of shows, drop the best ones in when you need big ratings.  It's no coincidence.  Remember "Millionaire" last year?

By the way, who's Debbie Seppien?  I've heard of most of the big winners of various shows, but that doesn't ring a bell.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

One year ago...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 06:49:26 PM »
She won $100,000 on the $100,000 Pyramid in 1987. Paired with Marky Post, she won on the fourth day with 2 seconds remaining after "Things that are Violent". Before the tournament, she was a 5 time champion, and spent what must be at least 7 or 8 trips to the WC. During the tourney, she went, i think, 6 times, before winning.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 06:51:32 PM by whoserman »

BrandonFG

One year ago...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:00:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 06:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 01:32 PM\'] One year ago this week, Wheel of Fortune had a team who pulled a Michael Larson all day long. They were the Malones, Bonni and Karen(no relation to Karl). The team solved all of the puzzles(9, Including Toss-Ups and the Bonus Round puzzle), becoming the first team ever to do so, and if that wasn't great enough, they also took the big $100,000 check home! They finshed with $121,831 in cash and trip, and in the process became possibly the greatest players to ever play the game.

Folks, the first $100,000 victory the past two seasons has happened in December(Doug won two years ago, the aformentioned team above last year). Also, last year, the big prize was won on the first day AND the last day of an at-home sweepstakes(20 Cars in 20 Days). Will the impossible happen again when we start the $250K At-Home Sweepstakes(Doubt it, but anything can happen!), and/or December being the first hot month on the show? Keep tuning in to find out! [/quote]
Them pulling a Larson would mean they were always able to control the way their turns went the way Larson usually did, and they would have had a higher maingame total than $21K had they had Larson powers [/quote]
 And wasn't it established that anyone who manipulates the wheel (I refuse to refer to it as pulling a Larsen) would get disqualified?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

One year ago...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 08:03:30 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:00 PM\']
Them pulling a Larson would mean they were always able to control the way their turns went the way Larson usually did, and they would have had a higher maingame total than $21K had they had Larson powers [/QUOTE]
And wasn't it established that anyone who manipulates the wheel (I refuse to refer to it as pulling a Larsen) would get disqualified? [/quote]
 If a spin is taken that the producers feel is being done to "beat the house", they will make the player spin again. I don't think the "one complete revolution" rule is enforced anymore as it was years ago.

Steve McClellan

One year ago...
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 08:12:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 05:03 PM\']I don't think the "one complete revolution" rule is enforced anymore as it was years ago.[/quote]
I hope not. Most of the contestants can't get the thing the whole way around.

Robert Hutchinson

One year ago...
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 07:04:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 06:47 PM\']As to the original point of the post, you can bet your bank account that if Wheel had any $100,000 wins this year, they'll play during sweeps.  That's the beauty of the self-contained weeks of shows, drop the best ones in when you need big ratings.[/quote]
Except that they eliminate the possibility of that by laying out in mid-summer when all of the theme weeks for the season are going to air.

It also doesn't explain the December wins from the past two years--and Wheel's producers have certainly been programming for sweeps (in general) for years and years now.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

DaneFromKansas

One year ago...
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 08:07:43 AM »
I remember that show...I will always remember the date...December 4th, 2002.  My wife and I were in the hospital room as she was preparing to give birth to our son.  During a break in the contractions, she said she wanted to watch "Wheel".  It was the first time she saw a $100K win, and was totally stunned.  It definitely wasn't a "Larsen", but my wife and I will always remember it :)