Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN & Digital/Basic Cable  (Read 9901 times)

uncamark

GSN & Digital/Basic Cable
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 09:25:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 04:06 PM\']GSN came to Channel 89 of the basic lineup of WOW! Internet & Cable in Chicagoland on September 10, 2002.   

The majority of Chicagoland has Comcast and it, too, is Channel 161.  Formerly AT&T, they've had GSN on digital cable since, I believe, 1999.[/quote]
June 1998, actually.

And on all former AT&T systems and on systems that use Headend in the Sky for digital, GSN is on 161 digital.  The Comcast systems that have always been Comcast (in terms of digital tier) use another system, is as obvious from the commercials for digital where the interactive screens don't look anything like the HITS/TV Guide interactive screens.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 09:42:30 PM »
We've got GSN on basic on Comcast in Cambridge, MD.  At least we did when I still lived in Cambridge.  I'm now in Secretary, MD... local cable provider Bay Country Communications doesn't offer digital service, so it's on basic channel 71.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 09:50:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 07:25 PM\'] And on all former AT&T systems and on systems that use Headend in the Sky for digital, GSN is on 161 digital.  The Comcast systems that have always been Comcast (in terms of digital tier) use another system, is as obvious from the commercials for digital where the interactive screens don't look anything like the HITS/TV Guide interactive screens. [/quote]
 Interesting! I always wondered why that was, exactly. (I had an IDEA, such as getting that block of compressed channels from the same provider, etc., but I didn't know for sure.)

Thanks for that!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 10:08:36 PM »
Didn't we just have a thread like this? :)

Anyway, Comcast Harrisburg carries GSN on cable channel 73. They don't have a digital equivalent.

daveromanjr

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 10:14:56 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 10:08 PM\'] Didn't we just have a thread like this? :)

Anyway, Comcast Harrisburg carries GSN on cable channel 73. They don't have a digital equivalent. [/quote]
 Well the Pittsburgh to non-digital for GSN is the different part.  I didn't know what channel it was going to be so it was news to me.

trainman

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 11:45:31 PM »
I believe the first two major cable operators to agree to carry GSN on all of their systems were Marcus Cable, which put it on analog, and TCI, which put it on digital.  Neither company is still in existence, but I don't know if that's entirely GSN's fault.

(TCI became AT&T and then Comcast, of course, and the former Marcus systems are now various other companies, including Charter in southern California and Insight Communications in Indiana.)
trainman is a man of trains

jdhernandez

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2003, 06:42:24 AM »
Well...when we had Comcast, it was on the basic tier on channel 75, then 71, and that was over 5 years ago, now! (Wow, it only seemed like yesterday when I finally woke up one morning to the clapping of Card Sharks...ahh...the memories...)

*shakes head* Oh....anyway....

I received GSN on basic until Winter, 2001. That was when Adelphia took control of much of this region, and GSN was not only off the regular tier, it was off entirely for a while! I had it at my dorms in Spring, 2002, when GSN was added to the basic tier for Charter Communications. Some time late last year, GSN was back on the digital tier in Ontario; I finally got digital cable this summer, when the PYL Vertivision blocks begun, incidentally. So I've had it off and on the past couple years. Not too bad. =)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

sshuffield70

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2003, 08:00:37 PM »
GSN was dropped on 161 here and moved to 66 (where I think it's always been on analog.)  The good news is the new station doesn't have to split with the PPV anymore.

FeudDude

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2003, 08:22:16 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:12 PM\'] Time Warner of Akron/Canton used to have GSn on channel 105, but about 1 1/2 months ago, it moved to channel 67. [/quote]
 It's actually also in channel 67 here in NJ, where we have Cablevision.  It's been on basic cable for about 6 months or so here.

WhammyPower

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2003, 09:50:38 PM »
I'm adding my 2¢...

In Milwaukee, it is on digital cable channel 160 (well, the last time I had it, anyways).  However, when we went to pick up our new car in West Bend, it was on the basic tier.

Did somebody say "irony"?

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2003, 03:18:23 AM »
When I first got GSN back in 2000, it was on Time Warner Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville digital channel 161.

Three years later.... It's still there.

~Chico

Jim

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2003, 06:51:38 PM »
- Comcast carries GSN on basic in New Haven.  Interesting, though, Comcast doesn't have Music Choice as part of its digital service.
- Cox puts it on digital in Hartford.
-Time Warner in Columbus, Ohio introduced it on digital way back when digital came on the scene.

TonicBH

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2003, 07:31:06 PM »
I've had GSN since September 5, 2001 (even though I have tapes from GSN around 2000 or so because my dad's work had a satellite dish), and it's been on channel 161 since I got it (well over two years.)

It would be interesting for it to do a basic cable change... gets more viewers plus it cheaper for some (including me and my family's current financial situation)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

combsisthebest

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2003, 08:16:08 PM »
I was just wondering, does anyone who has Cox have GSN on basic cable?