Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about the current version of TPIR's beginnings  (Read 7886 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Question about the current version of TPIR's beginnings
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:06:04 AM »
There was something I have always wondered about the taping of Price back in the day. Price shared Studio 33 with a ton of shows back then. How was Price taping scheduled (or is that a mystery)? Did the Daytime and Syndicated Price tape on the same day (since they used the same everything except host)? And if they did tape on the same day, what taped fist?

It always amazed me that all those shows taped at the same place at that time.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »
Hold on just a sec, before we continue- did ALL the NBC affiliates air the syndie TPIR during this time or was it just the O&O's? I know most of them picked up Kennedy's '85 effort but I kinda am curious about the '70s effort.

I found a site that lists some of the stations that aired the show during the James era.
http://www.j-shea.com/TPIR/nighttime/nightTPIRstations.htm
Tons of affiliates from all three major networks had it.

Ooh, comprehensive. I like it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »
Gosh, this brings back memories of watching nightime TPIR when I was in Batavia NY in the early 1970's.  It was on BOTH Tues. & Wed. @ 7:30 PM from BOTH ABC affiliates(WKBW TV-7 out of Buffalo(Wed. 7:30 PM) & WOKR-TV 13 out of Rochester(Tues. 7:30 PM)).  I don't remember seeing it out of Philly(WPVI TV-6(now 6ABC)) when I was visiting my relatives in New Jersey back then.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
I wonder what, if any, footage the NBC stations used to promote the new fall prime access version.  In the '70's, it was the usual practice for stations to start promoting new fall shows on or around July 4.

Hold on just a sec, before we continue- did ALL the NBC affiliates air the syndie TPIR during this time or was it just the O&O's? I know most of them picked up Kennedy's '85 effort but I kinda am curious about the '70s effort.
By NBC stations, I meant the O&O's, not the affiliates.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 02:52:15 PM »
There was something I have always wondered about the taping of Price back in the day. Price shared Studio 33 with a ton of shows back then. How was Price taping scheduled (or is that a mystery)? Did the Daytime and Syndicated Price tape on the same day (since they used the same everything except host)? And if they did tape on the same day, what taped fist?

Here's a Price Call Sheet from 11/29/74.

Apologies in advance for it being blurry. This call sheet was on door #2 about 6+ years ago.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

THANK YOU. What a cool find.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Steve, about your TPIR timeline, where did the story about the original #003N (the third weekly nighttime episode, before the replacement was arranged) come from?

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »

Apologies in advance for it being blurry. This call sheet was on door #2 about 6+ years ago.

I'm just curious about a couple of things on this call sheet.  In the lower left where the day's schedule is indicated, what are the first two items?  Obviously they stand for something.  And just how many Mackenzie machines did they have listed here?

bricon

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
I'm just curious about a couple of things on this call sheet.  In the lower left where the day's schedule is indicated, what are the first two items?  

ESU = Engineering set-up.

FAX = Facilities.  I've usually seen it indicated as "Full FAX rehearsal" meaning all crew/equipment/elements.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:20 AM »
According to some records Roger pulled for us several years back, the show was originally taping on Saturdays, Sundays, and every other Monday, doing two shows every day (except the very first day, when only 0011D was taped); I strongly suspect that the "other" Mondays were used to tape the nighttime show.  Things started to get a bit funky when the technicians' strike started, first with more shows taping each day and later with tapings becoming a bit sporadic.  Unfortunately, the files we were given only went so far, so I don't know how things changed after the strike ended.

Steve, about your TPIR timeline, where did the story about the original #003N (the third weekly nighttime episode, before the replacement was arranged) come from?
Again, Roger...although this has lead me to what I believe is another mistake.  I had assumed there was a "no double overbid" rule on the first week of the daytime show, but taking into account some other data I've come by over the years, I now see that the first double overbid occurred before ''any'' nighttime shows were taped (assuming my assumptions about the early nighttime tapings are correct, anyway).  (Man, how many different variations on the word "assume" can I use in this paragraph?)  So I need to go in and change that.  Maybe that rule was in place only on the nighttime show; heaven knows they did some other things that never made it onto the daytime show.