Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: another illegal clue maybe?  (Read 4481 times)

14gameshows

another illegal clue maybe?
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
I was watching today's episode of $25,000 Pyramid and in the Winner's Circle, the $50 subject was "THINGS IN A PARADE"
My girlfriend said "Macy's" as a clue
Would this have been buzzed?

TheLastResort

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »
I was watching today's episode of $25,000 Pyramid and in the Winner's Circle, the $50 subject was "THINGS IN A PARADE"
My girlfriend said "Macy's" as a clue
I would certainly think so.  If the subject was "KINDS OF PARADES", it would be fine.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
If I was the judge, you'd get zapped, because Macy's is a presenter of the parade, not in the parade itself.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
I imagine that the logo of any company that sponsors an event appears somewhere at the event. Therefore, it's not unreasonable to presume that Macy's has some presence at their parade.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

geno57

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
Just what I was thinking, Jay.  How about if the clue would be worded, "the name Macy's"?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
"The Macys balloons"?

It's silly anyway, because "the floats, the marching band" is a better way to go.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Just what I was thinking, Jay.  How about if the clue would be worded, "the name Macy's"?
That would walk with me. Really, as Kev said, it's a silly argument because there are about a billion other better clues (the floats, the marching band, Anwar Sadat). There's a VERY outside argument for "Macy's" standing on its own since the main review stand for the Thanksgiving parade is just outside of the main entrance to the store, but it's a REALLY flimsy argument.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Does Macy's sponsor any of the floats, balloons, or acts?  Then Macy's is in the parade. But yeah, bad clue.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
Can I piggyback on this thread?

On a recent episode, the category was "Things that are wide." I eventually thought of the clue "My eyes," as I stared as wide-eyed as possible.

I know you can get away with voice inflections, but is expressing the answer with your face too much of a demonstration?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
Can I piggyback on this thread?

On a recent episode, the category was "Things that are wide." I eventually thought of the clue "My eyes," as I stared as wide-eyed as possible.

I know you can get away with voice inflections, but is expressing the answer with your face too much of a demonstration?
I've seen it go both ways. Adrienne Barbeau was once told that her clue of "my eyes (blinks eyes)" was illegal for "Things that flicker", but later that week, she said "my lips (purses lips)" for "Things that are sealed", and was fine.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
Does Macy's sponsor any of the floats, balloons, or acts?  Then Macy's is in the parade. But yeah, bad clue.
They do have a float with Santa Claus, a number of balloons with the Macy's logo and I think some of their employees walk in the parade.  A bad clue is in the eye of the beholder.  To the young lady who suggested the clue, it was the first thing that came to mind.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:29:06 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 02:11:28 AM »
A bad clue is in the eye of the beholder.
Well, behold a bad clue, then.

/6/10
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »
IMO, it's a pretty academic argument anyway, since "Macy's" has a lot of connotations--my first guess as receiver would be DEPARTMENT STORES. The giver would be far better served just rattling off "balloons, floats, Shriners, marching bands..." And this was a $50 box, right?  No sense wasting valuable seconds on the first tier with ambiguous clues.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
No sense wasting valuable seconds on the first tier with ambiguous clues.
This should be made up into a sampler and hung prominently in the GSF home office. So often we see this "Is this legal/illegal?" and the better question is "Does this help my partner's chances of guessing the subject after that clue?" And in that case, I'd say no.
Travis L. Eberle