Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pricing Games That Require No Knowledge  (Read 6946 times)

Fedya

Pricing Games That Require No Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
There were times where Hit Me was winnable with no pricing knowledge: only one price ending in 0, which had to be the 10, and something with a price like $2.89, which would either have the ace behind it, or a 17.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »
That being said, Clock Game should be won damn near every time.  Start with a reasonable bid that's a multiple of 100; climb or lower until Drew switches what he says; guess the x50 in between; then the tens on whatever side of the x50 is appropriate until Drew switches again, then the ones.  Prices ending in 49 or 99 would take the longest to get with this method, but laboratory tests* show it can be accomplished in under 15 seconds.
I would go one further and say that if you fix the starting point at $700 and follow this strategy with anything resembling alacrity, or even competency, you cannot lose.

J.R.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:21 AM »
There were times where Hit Me was winnable with no pricing knowledge: only one price ending in 0, which had to be the 10, and something with a price like $2.89, which would either have the ace behind it, or a 17.
Yet it stumped virtually everybody.
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 02:23:58 AM »
Yet it stumped virtually everybody.

Because those people somehow had LESS than no knowledge. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dale_grass

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
<Foolproof method of winning Clock Game snipped.>
I would go one further and say that if you fix the starting point at $700 and follow this strategy with anything resembling alacrity, or even competency, you cannot lose.
Yep, forgot to mention that.  During our dry run, I always started at 700.  I was then asked if there were ever any four-digit prizes.  I told them I didn't know and I never found out.  Have there been any (especially in recent years)?

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
No.  They tried four-digit prices a long time ago, it was more or less a disaster, and they've stuck with three-digit prices ever since.

Flerbert419

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
No.  They tried four-digit prices a long time ago, it was more or less a disaster, and they've stuck with three-digit prices ever since.
They actually did try to bring back four digit prizes instead of the ridiculous "bonus prize plus $1,000" system that they have now.

This was done from November 13, 2008 to April 17, 2009.

jmangin

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
I was then asked if there were ever any four-digit prizes.  I told them I didn't know and I never found out.  Have there been any (especially in recent years)?
Not recent, but here you go: Clock Game for a car.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
I was then asked if there were ever any four-digit prizes [in Clock Game].  I told them I didn't know and I never found out.  Have there been any (especially in recent years)?
They used them for most of Season 37, finally switching to have the contestant bid on a 3-digit portion of the second prize when the game went about seven months without being won.  Other than that, the most recent one I'm aware of was in 1987.