Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Price is Right  (Read 18957 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Celebrity Price is Right
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/this_just_in/64011/

Celebrities play each of the 6 pricing games with the contestants.  No, I do not like it.

In other news, 3500 posts.  Yay.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:04:15 PM by MikeK »

chad1m

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
I had the opportunity to watch one of the games on Neil Patrick Harris's show. At some point, he...

...helps a contestant win $10,000 in ½ Off...

...and perhaps not shockingly, he appeared to be having a good time and doing well. Part of his gameplay in his reasoning is using math in deciding real prices vs. fake prices, so it's fun to see someone with a brain that functions on stage playing. I'll be at least interested to see that one, knowing what a fan he is.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:51:43 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
You know, if they're just helping the contestants out, but there's still contestants, I really don't see the harm in it.

And it's going to have the desired effect: without question I will set the Tivo for Snoop To The Dizzle and NPH.

/with any luck Jenny Mac will have the chance to win her charity some free immunizations
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
You know, if they're just helping the contestants out, but there's still contestants, I really don't see the harm in it.
My beef is if the contestant wants to zig, the celebrity says "zag", the contestant goes with the celebrity, out come the losing horns, and possibly the celebrity turns into Rosie O'Donnell and says "I'll get that for you."  I'm not saying it will happen, but I think the celebrity having zero influence on the contestant's decision is best.  The contestant is there for fun and to win.  The celebrity should be window dressing.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
My beef is if the contestant wants to zig, the celebrity says "zag", the contestant goes with the celebrity, out come the losing horns, and possibly the celebrity turns into Rosie O'Donnell and says "I'll get that for you."  I'm not saying it will happen, but I think the celebrity having zero influence on the contestant's decision is best.  The contestant is there for fun and to win.  The celebrity should be window dressing.
Yeah, no, I think we're getting into "taking the show too seriously" territory here. The solution to the Rosie O'Donnell problem is to not book Rosie O'Donnell. The solution to the zig-zag problem is to remind the audience before the show that no matter what, the decision is ultimately theirs. (The solution to the Snoop Dogg problem is to make sure he's baked enough to think clearly. Shouldn't be a problem. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
(The solution to the Snoop Dogg problem is to make sure he's baked enough to think clearly. Shouldn't be a problem. :))
Is it bad that I lol'd?
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
Celebrity Price Is Right...for real.

(What I wouldn't give...)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
I have a video from Shokus that has Arthur Treacher playing. I remember watching an episode with Yul Brenner playing in his King of Siam costume from "The King and I."
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jeremy Nelson

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
Celebrity Price Is Right...for real.

(What I wouldn't give...)
Ever since I first saw an episode of the original, I loved it. I would love to see if this would work on TV today.

Didn't the original Price have a celebrity playing in one of the spots for a home player at some point?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:14:48 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Johnissoevil

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
Didn't the original Price have a celebrity playing in one of the spots for a home player at some point?

They did.  I don't remember if it was every day or just the Friday show.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Matt Ottinger

Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
They did.  I don't remember if it was every day or just the Friday show.
When the show moved to ABC they had a celebrity play for various members of the studio audience every day in both the daytime and nighttime version.  I'm pretty sure the picture I linked was from a special celebrity show on the NBC version.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:14:07 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
(The solution to the Snoop Dogg problem is to make sure he's baked enough to think clearly. Shouldn't be a problem. :))
Is it bad that I lol'd?

I did too- I could just imagine how that would play out.

(I don't have a TiVo or a DVR...does that make me old-fashioned?)

/with any luck Jenny Mac will have the chance to win her charity some free immunizations

Ba-zing.

/Seriously, the research on that was fraudulent
//The doctor was even defrocked
///Really, time to stop believing that
////SERIOUSLY
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
Celebrity Millionaire

Celebrity Whew!

Celebrity Beat the Clock

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
Celebrity Millionaire

Celebrity Whew!

Celebrity Beat the Clock

One week does not a disastrous change make. Now, if it goes BEYOND that, sure. But I doubt that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:32:05 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Celebrity Price is Right
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
The solution to the zig-zag problem is to remind the audience before the show that no matter what, the decision is ultimately theirs.
Sure, but that's been the case for about fifty-plus years now. The audience has their say, the contestant is the final arbiter of their own destiny. There were many a time when Bob would go on about how the contestant would have won but for listening to the crowd.

From my perspective, this is quite a lot better than having a celebrity pop out from behind a prize or a game prop to show up and take up some game time by plugging whatever their show, book, movie or cause might be.
Travis L. Eberle