Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game play edits  (Read 18062 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:45 AM »
I'm sure Dan will be right here to give the wrong answer anyway, but I don't recall "booing of dumb contestants" to be a thing that we do in the United States, at least seriously. Boo someone for not spinning the wheel or for giving a non sequitur answer on The Feud. But to boo someone for fluking out on Millionaire, well, that's Benfield for you.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Game play edits
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »
But in general, game shows need to stop chopping everything to pieces because viewers can tell when they happen and hate it -- record "as live", don't alter for "drama" or emphasis or throws to commercial, don't begin a phrase only for it to be a throw to commercial (Mandel and Foxworthy D/ND and 5th Grader's producers* were big-time offenders here)

Fixed. The hosts only do what's on the script, as idiotic as it looked.
Even Pat Wayne?
Apples and oranges. The producers of the above shows wanted to manufacture milk the drama by stretching the action over a commercial break. Patrick Wayne was simply a stereotypical sitcom game show host.

As for booing, I've seen it happen to contestants on approximately two occasions: not spinning the wheel all the way around, and for giving a ridiculous answer on Match Game...all in good-natured ribbing. To boo someone for having a brain fart during a much more stressful trivia game is cruel and asinine, even if it's elementary level easy.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game play edits
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
I have to say, I get no greater feeling of joy on this board than I do from reading one of Dan's rambling Andy Rooney posts, and then seeing that there's two more pages of discussion after that.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game play edits
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »
(Though this begs the question: what did they do on the pre-1980s Pyramid when a front game ended at the end of a show on a Friday?
All of this is from previous board posts, so if I misremember anything or misspeak, feel free to step in and correct me.

Earlier on, they once brought back the celeb in question just for a top of show WC on Monday. Based on our recollection, it was Nipsey, who was...available. But after that, instead of trying to fit it all in, they brought back the players the following week, and had the celebs play a Winner's Circle as a team for a nominal sum ($1,000?) that was split between the players. JoAnne Worley and David Letterman played one such WC if memory serves.

-Jason
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:31:01 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
and had the celebs play a Winner's Circle as a team for a nominal sum ($1,000?) that was split between the players. JoAnne Worley and David Letterman played one such WC if memory serves.
I remembered it as five such nominal sums, but you were correct about splitting the money; that's how you'd have carryover champions with $775.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

Game play edits
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
Another thing that needs to come back is booing dumb contestants. I always hated it when a really easy question was missed on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and the audience applauded. Those kinds of players deserve to be booed.
(Quoting for the inevitable edit and backpedal.)

You may pick up your prize at the door, sir.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
Strikethrough edit and fumbling non-apology means I've got Benfield Bingo!
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game play edits
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »
Strikethrough edit and fumbling non-apology means I've got Benfield Bingo!
It's like Bossy Bingo, but with more shiat.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Game play edits
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
As for booing, I've seen it happen to contestants on approximately two occasions: not spinning the wheel all the way around, and for giving a ridiculous answer on Match Game...all in good-natured ribbing.

I've seen a few tough bonus puzzles on Wheel get booed. THAT'S IFFY is one that I remember.
Bobby Peacock

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
I've seen a few tough bonus puzzles on Wheel get booed. THAT'S IFFY is one that I remember.
And that's booing the puzzle writer/producer/show for trying to get one over on the player, not the player himself.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:23:26 PM by Matt Ottinger »
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Game play edits
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »
(Though this begs the question: what did they do on the pre-1980s Pyramid when a front game ended at the end of a show on a Friday?
All of this is from previous board posts, so if I misremember anything or misspeak, feel free to step in and correct me.

Earlier on, they once brought back the celeb in question just for a top of show WC on Monday. Based on our recollection, it was Nipsey, who was...available. But after that, instead of trying to fit it all in, they brought back the players the following week, and had the celebs play a Winner's Circle as a team for a nominal sum ($1,000?) that was split between the players. JoAnne Worley and David Letterman played one such WC if memory serves.

-Jason
The two-celeb version is what they did when Friday's second game ended in a tie, not when the game was actually resolved. I don't discount what you said about Nipsey's game, and it makes sense to me. Logistically, you could just tape the game and edit it so it looked like it all done at the same time.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

Game play edits
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
Logistically, you could just tape the game and edit it so it looked like it all done at the same time.
Curious to know how you plan to block that show's open without a WHOLE BUNCH of jump-cuts.

Jeremy Nelson

Game play edits
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
Logistically, you could just tape the game and edit it so it looked like it all done at the same time.
Curious to know how you plan to block that show's open without a WHOLE BUNCH of jump-cuts.
Do a regular intro, but just introduce Dick Clark sans celebs. Have the returning celeb and civilian already in the Winner's Cirlce waiting. To explain the absence of the current week's celebs, just have Dick say something like "Joann Worley and David Letterman are waiting in the wings to begin the week, but we have a little business to take care of from last week first."  Cut to break after the round is over, and come back with all of the new people in their proper places. The biggest challenge would be assuring that Dick and the civilian were wearing the same clothes at the start of the new tape date.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:12:18 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

Game play edits
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
Do a regular intro, but just introduce Dick Clark sans celebs.
Then that's not a regular intro. You're really gonna do the "Your guests this week" intro without the guests actually coming out?

I mean, I suppose you could, and they may have, but that just sounds kludgey as hell to me.

The biggest challenge would be assuring that Dick and the civilian were wearing the same clothes at the start of the new tape date.
That's actually the easy part.

Steve Gavazzi

Game play edits
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
Lemme see...do the standard intro with the celebs, have Dick mention that he'll chat with them in a moment, then cut to Nipsey and the champ walking out as he mentions that they're taking care of unfinished business.