Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game play edits  (Read 18064 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Game play edits
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
On a Drew Price, they once left out an entire pick in 2 for the Price of 1.
They've done things like this a few times.  They've also edited out a ninth contestant's bid (which I thought was kind of disrespectful, since it was that person's only chance to say anything the whole show -- I wouldn't appreciate being essentially edited out of the program if I were that player), and a couple of times when they removed a spin that hadn't gone all the way around, they did such a bad job that the next spin ended up looking like it hadn't gone all the way around but got counted anyway.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:48:20 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Sodboy13

Game play edits
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
At my taping of Million Dollar Password, we were instructed that if a player bombed out in the $10,000 round, they'd stop tape and give it a second go. Fail a second time, and they'd toss that whole half of the episode.

I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but I think at Chad's taping (which was later in the weekend), they extended the "let's pretend this never happened" rule to the $25,000 level.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

chad1m

Game play edits
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but I think at Chad's taping (which was later in the weekend), they extended the "let's pretend this never happened" rule to the $25,000 level.
Yessir. I think this was the result of William Shatner's taping, where he and a contestant (a former Super Password champion) couldn't make it past the bottom tier of the endgame, even with the double try. This was, of course, removed from the final show.

toddyo

Game play edits
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
Ridiculous! If you bomb out, it airs. I hate this current era of re-edit, edit for drama and edit for attention spans. Roll tape and do your half hour shows in thirty minutes. There are better producers and directors that can do this. R. Brian and the rest need to watch the shows from the 60s and 70s and get a clue on proper directing. These pregnant pauses are almost becoming/have become parody.

chad1m

Game play edits
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
R. Brian and the rest need to watch the shows from the 60s and 70s and get a clue on proper directing.
Did you see any of his work during his couple of years on Price? It was the best directing work the show had seen in many years. I think he knows what he's doing.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Game play edits
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
Ridiculous! If you bomb out, it airs.
This, this, this. Throwing out an entire half because somebody lost the endgame is idiotic on a level near Feud's "not enough points" (but not quite there -- Password wanted to see a winner, Feud does it because they're too lazy to program a sixth question), which could've been avoided by giving the winner $5,000 and augmenting it to the amount won in the bonus round.

But in general, game shows need to stop chopping everything to pieces because viewers can tell when they happen and hate it -- record "as live", don't alter for "drama" or emphasis or throws to commercial, don't begin a phrase only for it to be a throw to commercial (Mandel and Foxworthy were big-time offenders here), don't overuse filler, don't go the dubbing route, and don't overuse gimmicks (but avoid the Crosswords route of not using them at all).

And speaking of valid gameplay edited out on purpose, Our Little Genius.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:43:22 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game play edits
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
Ridiculous! If you bomb out, it airs.
And how do you presume to fill the extra 15 minutes of now-empty content? (Difficulty: No, you do not get to start a new game and straddle. By the nature of celebrity guests, you can't. You've been handed a format that says "two games in an hour, so mote it be, period. Make it fit.")

(Though this begs the question: what did they do on the pre-1980s Pyramid when a front game ended at the end of a show on a Friday? Did they just make damn sure they shoehorned in that WC before they ended, or did the contestant play the WC with one of the new celebrities on a Monday? I suspect the former, seeing as Dick was pro enough to move things along as necessary to make that extra ninety seconds fit if they knew they would need to going in.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:29:00 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Game play edits
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
Another thing that needs to come back is booing dumb contestants. I always hated it when a really easy question was missed on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and the audience applauded. Those kinds of players deserve to be booed.
I'll keep this in mind whenever you find yourself on a game show with the pressure of a host, lights, camera and an audience bearing down on you.

/I sure "missed" your OUTRAGE!!!! snits.
-Joe Raygor

Kevin Prather

Game play edits
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »
(Though this begs the question: what did they do on the pre-1980s Pyramid when a front game ended at the end of a show on a Friday? Did they just make damn sure they shoehorned in that WC before they ended, or did the contestant play the WC with one of the new celebrities on a Monday? I suspect the former, seeing as Dick was pro enough to move things along as necessary to make that extra ninety seconds fit if they knew they would need to going in.)
Although it sounds very illogical, I could swear I've read that the celebrity of the winning team came back on Monday just for the WC.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game play edits
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Another thing that needs to come back is booing dumb contestants. I always hated it when a really easy question was missed on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and the audience applauded. Those kinds of players deserve to be booed.
(Quoting for the inevitable edit and backpedal.)

What a completely and utterly assholish thing to say.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
because viewers can tell when they happen and hate it
You sure seem to know a whole lot about what 100,000,000 people think.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game play edits
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
which could've been avoided by giving the winner $5,000 and augmenting it to the amount won in the bonus round.
Agrees.

(Are Dan's posts approved for our enjoyment too? ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Game play edits
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
But in general, game shows need to stop chopping everything to pieces because viewers can tell when they happen and hate it -- record "as live", don't alter for "drama" or emphasis or throws to commercial, don't begin a phrase only for it to be a throw to commercial (Mandel and Foxworthy D/ND and 5th Grader's producers* were big-time offenders here)

Fixed. The hosts only do what's on the script, as idiotic as it looked.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:48:18 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Game play edits
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
But in general, game shows need to stop chopping everything to pieces because viewers can tell when they happen and hate it -- record "as live", don't alter for "drama" or emphasis or throws to commercial, don't begin a phrase only for it to be a throw to commercial (Mandel and Foxworthy D/ND and 5th Grader's producers* were big-time offenders here)

Fixed. The hosts only do what's on the script, as idiotic as it looked.
Even Pat Wayne?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

Game play edits
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:54 AM »
(Irrelevant to the discussion; don't even know why I said it, to be honest.)
Then why in the f-ck did you say it?

Seriously, how many friggin' times have you been told to stop rush posting without thinking? It's okay to go "wait a sec" before you hit the Reply button. There's no time limit.

You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?
-Joe Raygor