Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Game Show Vault '12  (Read 37391 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:55 PM »
In a sense, though, content that is broadcast over the public airwaves should belong to the public.
But isn't that like saying that I shouldn't own the rights to the content of a speech I have written and presented because I used the same air everyone else breathes to do so?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »
In a sense, though, content that is broadcast over the public airwaves should belong to the public.

Whoo-hoo! I'm going to BitTorrent every song that's ever been broadcast on the radio!
trainman is a man of trains

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
Whoo-hoo! I'm going to BitTorrent every song that's ever been broadcast on the radio!
And after you're done doing that, would you send the torrents my way? I sure do love music, but that pesky paying for it model is a relic of the dark ages. I want free.

/Jeebus, what a lame argument.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 01:45:17 AM »
While this is another one of those times I'm pretty certain that Jimmy's trolling, I have to point out the logical hole here. When you're BitTorrenting, usually what you are getting is the song in question ripped from the CD, which is not the radio transmission; it is by definition much cleaner than the radio transmission. Now, if someone recorded the song off of the direct radio transmission, and then posted THAT, I could see this being a justifiable argument.

Jimmy Owen

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
But isn't that like saying that I shouldn't own the rights to the content of a speech I have written and presented because I used the same air everyone else breathes to do so?
Not quite the same, but if I am forced to provide you with the pen and paper to write it and you presented it in my house, I should be able to keep the paper on which you wrote it (or a copy of it) to use as I see fit. That does not prevent you as the writer from trying to sell copies yourself.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:16:06 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
New shows are up! 4 more coming, including some black and white goodies.

--Jamie

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
Not quite the same, but if I am forced to provide you with the pen and paper to write it and you presented it in my house, I should be able to keep the paper on which you wrote it (or a copy of it) to use as I see fit. That does not prevent you as the writer from trying to sell copies yourself.
According to what case law?
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
According to what case law?
Well, Sony v. Universal made it totally legal to record broadcasts for time-shifting.  Of course, that was before Sony owned Columbia, so they may have changed their point of view. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
Well, Sony v. Universal made it totally legal to record broadcasts for time-shifting.  Of course, that was before Sony owned Columbia, so they may have changed their point of view. :)
Huh?
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
Huh?
Look it up.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »
Huh?
Look it up.
Right. The Betamax case. So what?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
I know it doesn't work that way, but it should.
Well, Sony v. Universal made it totally legal to record broadcasts for time-shifting. Of course, that was before Sony owned Columbia, so they may have changed their point of view. :)
I think the solution is Jimmy needs to upgrade his phone.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
I believe Jimmy is saying that now that Sony has transformed from a mere consumer electronics company into a major content producer, their views on fair use may have changed.

How pertinent that is to the immediate discussion, I leave for everyone to decide for themselves.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
I believe Jimmy is saying that now that Sony has transformed from a mere consumer electronics company into a major content producer, their views on fair use may have changed.

How pertinent that is to the immediate discussion, I leave for everyone to decide for themselves.

Don't forget there's other case law which appears to at least contradict Sony v. Universal a bit.

But yeah, open to interpretation.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TV Game Show Vault '12
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
I was watching Match Game a while ago, and all the goodwill that had been accumulating (Michael Burger is a good host, a few of the questions were decent) was pissed away at the hands of Judy Tenuta and Jerry Springer.

/$250 and a color television also was miles away from cutting it, too.
Travis L. Eberle