Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $100,000 Pyramid tournament categories...  (Read 41860 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$100,000 Pyramid tournament categories...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2003, 10:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:13 PM\']

+----------------+
| THINGS THAT |
| . . ARE . .       |
| . .ELITE . .      |
+-----------------+

The NCAA Basketball's Final Eight?

I think I can say that.. [/quote]
 On the Osmond show, maybe. You'd get buzzed immediately on Clark. If you yanked out "Final", you MIGHT be fine. If you yanked out "Basketball" as well ('cuz other NCAA sports do have an Elite Eight, the basketball one just gets the most press), I think you'd be fine.

First thing I thought of is "A Swedish hockey league", since in fact their equivalent to the NHL is the Swedish Elite League, but I dunno how many people would know that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 10:01:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 06:55 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 03:39 PM\'] I'm pretty sure Acquit and Exonerate are the same thing. [/quote]
Ya know, I'm not. "Acquitted" is a legal term, whereas "Exonerated" isn't, necessarily. I think that would get through. Might help, too.[/quote]
From m-w.com:

Acquit: to discharge completely (as from an obligation or accusation)

Exonerate: to relieve of a responsibility, obligation, or hardship

Both are given as synonyms of "exculpate": "EXONERATE implies a complete clearance from an accusation or charge and from any attendant suspicion of blame or guilt <exonerated by the investigation>. ACQUIT implies a formal decision in one's favor with respect to a definite charge <voted to acquit the defendant>."

I think this one depends what kind of mood the judge is in.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 10:16:04 PM »
Ready for a funny joke?

[font=\"Courier\"]
+-------------+
| THINGS THAT |
| . . ARE . . |
|INCAPACITATED|
+-------------+
[/font]

Try getting your partner to say THAT!

Little Big Brother

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 10:35:14 PM »
On the Osmond show, maybe. You'd get buzzed immediately on Clark. If you yanked out "Final", you MIGHT be fine. If you yanked out "Basketball" as well ('cuz other NCAA sports do have an Elite Eight, the basketball one just gets the most press), I think you'd be fine.

I don't see why you would get buzzed.  Final is not a preposition, it would be an adjective in this case.  And I have no idea why you would need to take out "basketball", would you care to explain?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 10:35:20 PM »
I was gonna say "Things Tom Cruise's Dentist Enshrines" but that wouldn't work on Clark Pyramid.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 10:39:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 08:35 PM\']

I don't see why you would get buzzed.  Final is not a preposition, it would be an adjective in this case.  And I have no idea why you would need to take out "basketball", would you care to explain? [/quote]
 It's been my experience that you could get away with one or two adjectives, but if you tried to get that descriptive, you were asking for a buzzer.

That said, "old time Japanese women's feet" was once accepted for "Things That Are Bound", so I may be speaking ex-rectum.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2003, 01:14:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 10:00 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:13 PM\']

+----------------+
| THINGS THAT |
| . . ARE . .       |
| . .ELITE . .      |
+-----------------+

The NCAA Basketball's Final Eight?

I think I can say that.. [/quote]

First thing I thought of is "A Swedish hockey league", since in fact their equivalent to the NHL is the Swedish Elite League, but I dunno how many people would know that.[/quote]
For another, somewhat obscure clue (which would have worked better in the days of typewriters):  A narrow typeface

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2003, 01:46:59 PM »
What is the legality of saying a incorrect clue to direct someone that the word is similar?  For example, for "Things that are Elite, you could say "The mother on 'Family Ties'" hoping "Elyse" would pop in to your partners head.  Dick would yell "READ IT AGAIN," but it might lead the guesser that it was a similarly spelled word.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2003, 02:04:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:46 AM\'] What is the legality of saying a incorrect clue to direct someone that the word is similar?  For example, for "Things that are Elite, you could say "The mother on 'Family Ties'" hoping "Elyse" would pop in to your partners head.  Dick would yell "READ IT AGAIN," but it might lead the guesser that it was a similarly spelled word. [/quote]
 It's not. If you continue to give clues outside of the category even after Dick prompts you to reread, you will get buzzed.

Neumms

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 03:13:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 09:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 03:39 PM\'] I'm pretty sure Acquit and Exonerate are the same thing. [/quote]
Ya know, I'm not. "Acquitted" is a legal term, whereas "Exonerated" isn't, necessarily. I think that would get through. Might help, too. [/quote]
 What about "wrongly accused defendant"? Subtle change, but it might help. In that there's only one clue (we're just kibbutzing about the best wording), it's not so much a hard category as a bad one.

For elite, how about: "a society's weathiest members." That one IS hard.

The all-time hardest Pyramid category (sans box):
THINGS THAT EXIST.

2nd hardest (for the bottom row):
THINGS MARCEL MARCEAU MIGHT SAY.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2003, 03:34:15 PM »
I've got one for elite:  Duffy's Tavern diners.  Of course, your partner would have to be really old to get it.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2003, 03:38:10 PM »
2nd hardest (for the bottom row):
THINGS MARCEL MARCEAU MIGHT SAY.

"Shhh!" (from Mel Brooks' Silent Movie)

What is the legality of saying a incorrect clue to direct someone that the word is similar? For example, for "Things that are Elite, you could say "The mother on 'Family Ties'" hoping "Elyse" would pop in to your partners head. Dick would yell "READ IT AGAIN," but it might lead the guesser that it was a similarly spelled word. 

It's not. If you continue to give clues outside of the category even after Dick prompts you to reread, you will get buzzed.

Sometimes they'll buzz you even without prompting from Dick.  I recall Henry Polic II giving the clue "The Old Man and the Sea" for THINGS ON THE BOTTOM and he got buzzed.  Unfortunately no explanation was offered as to why he would give that as a clue, and having not read the book I have no idea why he thought that would be a good clue anyway.

Jay Temple

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 05:04:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 04:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 03:18 PM\'] One i thought of was "A retrialed innocent prisoner". Would that get it perhaps? [/quote]
Not sure where "retrialed" adds anything. "Exonerated" simply implies that you were found not to have commited the crimes that you were accused of. Unless I'm missing something, and do educate me if I am :) [/quote]
Would "An acquited prisoner" work, or anything with acquited in the description?

Or is that considered synonymous? [/quote]
I'm pretty sure Acquit and Exonerate are the same thing. [/quote]
 O.J. Simpson and Lizzie Borden would disagree with you.  Both were acquitted, but Lizzie remains guilty in the public mind, and a jury found for the plaintiffs in O.J.'s wrongful death suit.  So, there's just enough of a distinction to make the clue legal.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jay Temple

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2003, 05:09:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 12:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 10:00 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:13 PM\']

+----------------+
| THINGS THAT |
| . . ARE . .       |
| . .ELITE . .      |
+-----------------+

For another, somewhat obscure clue (which would have worked better in the days of typewriters):  A narrow typeface
Your answer is a variant on mine:  12-point type.

Jay Temple

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2003, 05:10:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 6 2003, 05:41 PM\'] Let's not forget the most impossible of all WC categories, "THINGS THAT ARE PERCEIVED".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 a non-existent threat

"Depth," already given, is good too.