Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $100,000 Pyramid tournament categories...  (Read 43272 times)

GS Warehouse

$100,000 Pyramid tournament categories...
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2003, 11:37:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:50 PM\'] The clue is nonsensical, such as a phrase that has all of the prepositions removed but cannot stand alone. [/quote]
One example of such an infraction: in 1982, the subject was "Things you fry", and Barry Gordon was buzzed for the clue "a French potato".  Jack Clark said there is no such thing.

Here's my facetious subject...one that hits home with this group:
GOOD GAME SHOW JOKES!  :-D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:38:03 PM by GS Warehouse »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2003, 11:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:50 PM\'] The clue is nonsensical, such as a phrase that has all of the prepositions removed but cannot stand alone. [/quote]
One example of such an infraction: in 1982, the subject was "Things you fry", and Barry Gordon was buzzed for the clue "a French potato".  Jack Clark said there is no such thing. [/quote]
 Surely you mean Dick Clark, right?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2003, 11:43:22 PM »
While we're on the topic of how to get buzzed, I remember an episode where the category was "THINGS WITH AN EDGE", and Lois Nettleton* said "The soap opera's night". She, of course was referring to the soap opera "At The Edge of Night". She was buzzed immediately. Why? Apparently, there is "a long list of reasons".

*=I think it was Lois Nettleton, or it may have been Constance McCashin.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:44:03 PM by whoserman »

tommycharles

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2003, 11:46:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 07:20 PM\']
Things that are Agnostic? [/quote]
 Well, aside from Chris ;-)

My original intent for that was to go looking online to see if there were any famous atheists. While there are plenty, I don't think anyone would get the catagory just from their names.

Actually I can't think of one good clue for this - "a non-believer" would get me buzz instantly , right?

BTW - would those of you who don't believe in that kind of thing still be able to get "things that exist" from the clue of "God"? Or would you throw it on principal (j/k)?

Oh, and as for a catagory - what about "Vegetarians" for a lower tier box?

www.46664.com

GS Warehouse

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2003, 11:47:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:50 PM\'] The clue is nonsensical, such as a phrase that has all of the prepositions removed but cannot stand alone. [/quote]
One example of such an infraction: in 1982, the subject was "Things you fry", and Barry Gordon was buzzed for the clue "a French potato".  Jack Clark said there is no such thing. [/quote]
Surely you mean Dick Clark, right? [/quote]
 No, Jack Clark was the announcer at the time, and in the really old days, Jack would actually speak for the judges.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2003, 11:52:14 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:50 PM\'] The clue is nonsensical, such as a phrase that has all of the prepositions removed but cannot stand alone. [/quote]
Surely you mean Dick Clark, right? [/quote]
No, Jack Clark was the announcer at the time, and in the really old days, Jack would actually speak for the judges. [/quote]
 ahh. I stand corrected.

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2003, 12:41:49 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 11:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 8 2003, 08:50 PM\'] The clue is nonsensical, such as a phrase that has all of the prepositions removed but cannot stand alone. [/quote]
One example of such an infraction: in 1982, the subject was "Things you fry", and Barry Gordon was buzzed for the clue "a French potato".  Jack Clark said there is no such thing.

Here's my facetious subject...one that hits home with this group:
GOOD GAME SHOW JOKES!  :-D [/quote]
 -TTD90
-CS01
-Three's A Crowd

I'm getting tears in my eyes just thinking about them. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2003, 12:57:29 AM »
This one could be a bottom-row tournament box, I'd think, because, once you see it, the clues make sense, but it's difficult to draw the connection. I'll give it backwards, just to test you:

Cool indoor air
An athlete's body
Dry hair

The answer (highlight to see): THINGS THAT ARE CONDITIONED
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2003, 01:10:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 12:57 AM\'] This one could be a bottom-row tournament box, I'd think, because, once you see it, the clues make sense, but it's difficult to draw the connection. I'll give it backwards, just to test you:

Cool indoor air
An athlete's body
Dry hair

The answer (highlight to see): THINGS THAT ARE CONDITIONED [/quote]
 That was a good one...I'd maybe even put that in the middle row.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2003, 07:21:19 AM »
THINGS MARCEL MARCEAU WOULD SAY: "I'm the most famous mime in the world, and I actually talk quite a bit when I'm not performing."

Regarding clues that don't fit the category at all, it has been my observation that they don't get buzzed unless there's a fair likelihood that the clue is intended to reveal the subject in a sneaky way. So, for example, "water" wouldn't get buzzed for THINGS THAT ARE CREAMY, but "ice" probably would.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jay Temple

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2003, 12:50:39 PM »
Regarding my earlier clue of "God," I realize it's not agreed upon, but I think saying it after des Cartes would get the recipient thinking in the right area.

[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 06:21 AM\'] Regarding clues that don't fit the category at all, it has been my observation that they don't get buzzed unless there's a fair likelihood that the clue is intended to reveal the subject in a sneaky way. So, for example, "water" wouldn't get buzzed for THINGS THAT ARE CREAMY, but "ice" probably would. [/quote]
My favorite example of a clue that didn't fit the category:

SHORT PEOPLE

Randy Newman--Bzzz!

Explanation:  Randy Newman is over six feet tall.  "Randy Newman's enemies" would have been acceptable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:52:46 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Neumms

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2003, 01:12:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 07:21 AM\'] THINGS MARCEL MARCEAU WOULD SAY: "I'm the most famous mime in the world, and I actually talk quite a bit when I'm not performing."

[/quote]
 You're no fun. You're right, of course, but no fun at all.

Would anyone else dispute the buzz on "a French potato?" There is indeed such a thing as a French potato, I saw them on my plate there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2003, 03:53:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:50 AM\'] Explanation:  Randy Newman is over six feet tall.  "Randy Newman's enemies" would have been acceptable. [/quote]
 Interesting. What if Brad Garrett gave that clue? Or Richart Moll? Six foot ain't nothin' when you're standing next to Manute Bol.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2003, 08:07:54 PM »
My favorite example of a clue that didn't fit the category:

SHORT PEOPLE

Randy Newman--Bzzz!

Explanation: Randy Newman is over six feet tall. "Randy Newman's enemies" would have been acceptable.

Here's another one:

"Mr. Mostel's name", given by Dick Cavett as a clue for Numbers w/a Zero...he was buzzed, and despite Clark's explanation that it would've been legal had the category not been *Numbers* w/a Zero, he was still pissed and was basically ready to take out the judge. A classic moment. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jay Temple

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2003, 01:02:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 12:12 PM\'] Would anyone else dispute the buzz on "a French potato?" There is indeed such a thing as a French potato, I saw them on my plate there. [/quote]
 I agreed with the buzz, but you have at the very least illustrated the difficulty in interpreting some of the rules.

They said that there is no such thing as a French potato.  In one sense, there are such things as French poodles, Belgian waffles and English muffins, but not Belgian poodles, English waffles and French muffins.  That is the sense in which it would be improper to refer to a French potato.

I think what they really meant is that the word French in the clue was not an adjective modifying "potato," but an adverb modifying--describing, if you will--"fried."

The question is, would this be an instance of the judges claiming to read the clue-giver's mind?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.