Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Couple more Schedule notes  (Read 12292 times)

Jay Temple

Couple more Schedule notes
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
I think I read that they're doing it for two weeks, same as last year. (A check at Buzzerblog shows that they're behind on the schedules.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

aaron sica

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
I think I read that they're doing it for two weeks, same as last year. (A check at Buzzerblog shows that they're behind on the schedules.)

And I'm sure poor Alex has been hounded relentlessly about it. :(

Jay Temple

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:23 AM »
Following up: Per Buzzerblog, the shows do indeed continue the following week.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »
It's television history, not first run. If it's treated as such, big whoop. Run the show as is.
Spoken like a man who doesn't have to answer to advertisers.

At 3 or 4am, what advertisers? Those spots are filler. If they result in any revenue, GSN gets a commission.

...the same advertisers you find at 3 PM?

Those spots may be filler but if they get pulled, that's a loss of revenue that might not be easily replaced.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
...the same advertisers you find at 3 PM?

Those spots may be filler but if they get pulled, that's a loss of revenue that might not be easily replaced.
In general, the advertisers that you have at 3am are NOT the same as the ones you have at 3pm.  For sure, they're not paying the same rates.  Having said that, none of us are in a position to know what GSN charges for its time, and yes, even 3am infomercials must generate SOME revenue for the channel, or else why not just leave the old shows on?  There is also a difference between a fleeting glimpse of a logo on one show and the omnipresence of such a logo on the IGAS desks.  I also question seeing it on the Lawrence Welk reruns, since Welk publicly vowed not to accept cigarette advertising around 1970, and the PBS packages tend to come from later in the show's run.  Toddyo's "big whoop" attitude is naive at best.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

toddyo

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
The Larry Welk rerun was from the 50's/early 60s. The "Big Whoop" attitude is from when working for a television station. The Sunday nights were informercials and 2 minute "paid" spots. The attitude then, and from what I hear now, is that it served(s) as both filler and revenue maker. If that Marty Allen Chia Head offer or The Best of Chuck Connors record offer makes a sale, the station/channel made/makes a commission. Likewise, the ad rates for 3am have got to be a bottom feeder.

Jay Temple

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
Interesting: The final WML of this run has William Shatner, pre-Trek, and Kitty Carlisle on the panel. I have to imagine that's a combination that didn't happen very often!