Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Overbids/Perfect Bids  (Read 3915 times)

grimmte

TPIR Overbids/Perfect Bids
« on: June 23, 2003, 11:34:49 AM »
Don't know if this has ever been discussed before, but has anyone ever thought that the bonus for a perfect bid should be lowered if it has occured after an overbid? With a much much lower range to choose from, you would think that the bonus should be like reduced by $100 for each overbid.

Todd

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 11:47:58 AM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 10:34 AM\'] Don't know if this has ever been discussed before, but has anyone ever thought that the bonus for a perfect bid should be lowered if it has occured after an overbid? With a much much lower range to choose from, you would think that the bonus should be like reduced by $100 for each overbid.

Todd [/quote]
 That's a pretty interesting idea...if you can't get the $500 (or is it $1000?) on the first try, why the hell should you get it once the bidding range has been reduced?

The only reason I wouldn't do this, though, is because Bob only mentions a perfect bid bonus when the bells go off.  Him having to explain that a \"perfect-bid-bonus-that-comes-after-everyone- overbid-the-first-time-around\" would be complicated, and maybe even confusing.  

\"Someone here has a perfect bid! But because the four of you overbid that first time, they'll only get $100 instead of $500!\" In a way, it could work, but at the same time, you're penalizing someone for doing a pretty big feat.

Besides, what if everyone overbids more than once (it's happened)? If someone makes a perfect bid, you'd be down to giving away $10. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 12:27:43 PM »
No, no; terrible idea!

Even when contestants overbid, how many people actually nail the correct price after the overbid?  Keep in mind that a perfect bid is a very rare thing (most prices don't end in 00 or 50, yet most bids do!), so I don't think its reward should be cut because of an overbid.

Think of an example like this:  The price of the IUFB is $621.  The lowest bid after an \"all overbid\" was $700.  Even with this, the only way somebody is going to hit that (most likely) is if somebody bids $620, and then somebody else goes $1 over it.

A perfect bid, thus, is still very hard to attain even if the range has been lowered.  Watch old PIR's where there are overbids, and you'll see what I mean.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 01:45:55 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 08:34 AM\'] With a much much lower range to choose from, you would think that the bonus should be like reduced by $100 for each overbid.

[/quote]
 You would. I wouldn't. I think $500 is a perfectly reasonable prize for hitting it bang-on, even with a lowered bidding range.

Him having to explain that a \"perfect-bid-bonus-that-comes-after-everyone- overbid-the-first-time-around\" would be complicated, and maybe even confusing.

No maybe about it. And this is that \"except-\" thing I was talking about before, all over again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe