Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A coulple of things regarding Wheel of fortune  (Read 10468 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A coulple of things regarding Wheel of fortune
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:39 AM »
Eh...I don't know if you really could pull an escalating cost of vowels (at least not on that level) without doing something to offset it (such as raising the values on the wheel).
The argument is that that's been happening for the last 30 years.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 02:45:08 AM »
You'd put a "NEXT VOWEL" reminder on-screen, much like they use in the Jackpot round now.
Another chance to insert another sponsor too.

I can see it now. "The Next Vowel Tracker... sponsored by Mama Lucia Meatballs. Use as directed".

Actually, it would be a sponsor rotation between 5 companies each week:

• MONDAY: A-1 Steak Sauce
• TUESDAY: E! The Cable Channel
• WEDNESDAY: Anything from Apple (iMac, iPad, iPhone, iTunes...)
• THURSDAY: O -- The Oprah Magazine
• FRIDAY:  U-Haul.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 03:04:24 AM »
Eh...I don't know if you really could pull an escalating cost of vowels (at least not on that level) without doing something to offset it (such as raising the values on the wheel).
The argument is that that's been happening for the last 30 years.

Okay, let me rephrase that slightly- raising the values on the wheel to offset the cost escalation, meaning jacking them up more than you already would. (Don't know if that helps, but I figured I'd give it a shot.)

Travis, as long as I'm not the pink hippo. ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
I nominate we forget this nonsense and commence to play Hungry Hungry Hippos. :)

Isn't that on right after Million Dollar Chutes and Ladders?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:48:14 AM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
Every time a thread about proposed rule changes is created, somebody points out that the change is too complicated for the viewers to understand, and yet nobody here has pointed out that an escalating vowel price (that presumably also keeps resetting each round) would be a huge headache for any viewer not giving their full attention to the show?

I'm all for raising the flat asking price (they could even justify it by making a joke about the economy), but since the show has introduced and retained a wedge that lets contestants choose a vowel for free, I'm guessing that they want contestants quickly filling in the puzzle. Quick solves mean more puzzles, which it appears is what they're aiming for.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Every time a thread about proposed rule changes is created, somebody points out that the change is too complicated for the viewers to understand, and yet nobody here has pointed out that an escalating vowel price (that presumably also keeps resetting each round) would be a huge headache for any viewer not giving their full attention to the show?
I thought about it, as I'm sure others did, but at some point, you realize that your head is hurting, and the wall you're pounding it against is still there.

Having said that, I don't think $500 for a vowel is unreasonable.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
...an escalating vowel price (that presumably also keeps resetting each round) would be a huge headache for any viewer not giving their full attention to the show
This.

"Hey, Lurleen! Why do the vowels keep getting more expensive?"

"I dunno. What's on Judge Judy?"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
This.

"And our viewers will be able to note the current cost of the vowel on the ticker in the upper right of their screen."

Unfunny and tired judgmentalness is unfunny, tired.
Travis L. Eberle

Flerbert419

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
I agree with increasing the vowel price to $500, but I believe that this would require updating the wheel values so that there is nothing less than that amount.

It's awkward when contestants spin, guess a letter, and don't have enough money yet to buy a vowel (it's different if you have an amazing prize).

That being said, contestants don't buy enough vowels as is, and certainly increasing the price isn't going to change that.

Any tiered price system seems a bit too complicated to understand under the hot lights.

Actually, it would be a sponsor rotation between 5 companies each week:
Based on what I've seen so far this week, Wheel appears to be losing sponsors.

Maxwell House, who already sponsors the bonus round, had a $7,500 space on the wheel.  Nobody is sponsoring the Mystery spaces.

Also, the Sony card bonus for home viewers has been revoked.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
"And our viewers will be able to note the current cost of the vowel on the ticker in the upper right of their screen."

For viewers who have been used to $250 for 35 years, it won't sit, ticker or no ticker.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:13 PM »

For viewers who have been used to $250 for 35 years, it won't sit, ticker or no ticker.
To me, if viewers are bothered by increasing the cost of a vowel to a level that would still be cheaper than it would be with inflation, then let 'em watch Judge Judy. There's really not much risk in buying a vowel anymore when you can buy all 5 for $1,250, then easily make it all back in just one spin.

Just have Pat say "We're changing a rule that's been in place since day 1...vowels are now worth $500," then he makes a little witty remark about inflation catching up with the show. To me, it's a harmless change.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
I wouldn't mind vowels going up to $500. I would mind having to log onto the website to print off a playalong chart to keep up with vowel purchasing.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »
To me, if viewers are bothered by increasing the cost of a vowel to a level that would still be cheaper than it would be with inflation, then let 'em watch Judge Judy. There's really not much risk in buying a vowel anymore when you can buy all 5 for $1,250, then easily make it all back in just one spin.

Just have Pat say "We're changing a rule that's been in place since day 1...vowels are now worth $500," then he makes a little witty remark about inflation catching up with the show. To me, it's a harmless change.
Raising it to a different flat amount would be fine. I'm addressing the idea of having the cost of a vowel equal to half the player's bank times the number of letters divided by the number of stripes on Pat's tie.

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »
I agree with increasing the vowel price to $500, but I believe that this would require updating the wheel values so that there is nothing less than that amount.

Disagrees...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 05:48:03 AM »
This.

The screen already has more clutter than an ESPN telecast.  Why add more?  I think raising vowels to $500 is a fine idea.
--Mark
Phil 4:13