Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A coulple of things regarding Wheel of fortune  (Read 10472 times)

abba

A coulple of things regarding Wheel of fortune
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
1.Does anyone think the wheel needs the dollar amounts to be increased?(Say the minimum amount is 350 instead of 300).
2.Has it ever happened that letters were still being revealed after the next spin?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
1.Does anyone think the wheel needs the dollar amounts to be increased?(Say the minimum amount is 350 instead of 300).
http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg
2.Has it ever happened that letters were still being revealed after the next spin?
Huh?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:43:59 PM by Kevin Prather »

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
I noticed at least one amount has been *reduced* ($700 has become $500), which I thought was kinda strange.

Not liking the Wild on $900 either.

/I know, so not a big deal.
-Joe Raygor

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
You know, at this point, they might as well just make all twenty-four wedges $500, then throw all their gimmicks, prizes, TDV's, and Bankrupts on the wheel at random.

abba

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
http://jasonjeffrey.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg
Huh?
The lletters are being revealed.While that is happening the player/ spins again.After the spin the letters from the previous spin are still being revealed.

Hastin

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »
The lletters are being revealed.While that is happening the player/ spins again.After the spin the letters from the previous spin are still being revealed.

That spinning you hear while the letters are coming up? Most of the time, it's all editing to shorten the spin. In the handful of tapings I've seen, players wait until all the letters come up to think, because they are nervous. Also, spins take longer than you see on TV.

Even if the spin stopped after the letters came up, what would it matter? Pat would either do a "Hold on, Vanna's being overworked over there!", or they would just continue dinging.
-Hastin :)

Flerbert419

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
I noticed at least one amount has been *reduced* ($700 has become $500), which I thought was kinda strange.

Not liking the Wild on $900 either.

Both of these changes were done to prepare for the upcoming "1/2 Car" space that will placed on the wheel.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

Question #1.  No, I don't believe the wheel needs the dollar amounts to be increased.  What I do miss however is having the other dollar amounts increase progressively round by round, like it used to be.  What I would like to see is vowels costing $500 now instead of $250.  Some have even suggested as much as $1,000 for a vowel purchase which I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing either.

Question #2.  Though I'm not an avid watcher of the show, and though I have watched it since 1975 when it debuted on NBC, I never recall a time where the wheel was spun again, and letters were still being turned.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

Question #1.  No, I don't believe the wheel needs the dollar amounts to be increased.  What I do miss however is having the other dollar amounts increase progressively round by round, like it used to be.  What I would like to see is vowels costing $500 now instead of $250.  Some have even suggested as much as $1,000 for a vowel purchase which I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing either.

Question #2.  Though I'm not an avid watcher of the show, and though I have watched it since 1975 when it debuted on NBC, I never recall a time where the wheel was spun again, and letters were still being turned.

I'd like to see the price of vowels go up as well...I think it would lead to more rounds with all 3 players having a shot at spinning at least once.  I cannot stand when a single contestant can run the whole round by hitting a top dollar space on the first try, spending it all on vowels, then filling up the rest of the board while the other 2 players stand and watch as they respectfully clap and smile while mumbling "You Bastard!" under their breath for the next 3-5 minutes.   Growing up in the Woolery era, the number of "round runners" in any given show was much rarer than it is today.

As far as the wheel spinning as letters are being revealed, it's probably just a result of heavy editing due to a high amount of meaningful gameplay.  Press Your Luck had to do some hard editing sometimes when there was an above average amount of spins in a game -- a few times you'd see a cut to the player already in mid-spin without the obligatory "play or pass" question asked before it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:07:02 PM by TimK2003 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
I cannot stand when a single contestant can run the whole round by hitting a top dollar space on the first try, spending it all on vowels, then filling up the rest of the board while the other 2 players stand and watch as they respectfully clap and smile while mumbling "You Bastard!" under their breath for the next 3-5 minutes.
So you don't like watching good players win?

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

No, I do like watching good players win...I just don't care for games when players have to wait long periods of time before they actually get to do or say something game-related on a regular basis.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
I call into question whether there's such a thing as someone who's good at Wheel of Fortune, and then if that is just the entire set of people who are culturally literate and can spell.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
I call into question whether there's such a thing as someone who's good at Wheel of Fortune, and then if that is just the entire set of people who are culturally literate and can spell.
Well, that's like asking if there are really people who are good at Scrabble.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:30:29 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
I cannot stand when a single contestant can run the whole round by hitting a top dollar space on the first try, spending it all on vowels, then filling up the rest of the board while the other 2 players stand and watch as they respectfully clap and smile while mumbling "You Bastard!" under their breath for the next 3-5 minutes.

While I'm not nearly as passionate about it, I think the gist of his complaint is that even the slowest of slow players would have a hard time not finding an amount + letter early in the round that allows them to buy every relevant vowel in the puzzle. It's not in the spirit of the rule when the show debuted, where the top dollar was the value of two vowels. I think $1,000 would be about right IF Wheel of Fortune had cause to be concerned. But they don't. Viewers aren't exactly turning away in droves because vowels are cheap, or because players can easily maintain control for a round.

-Jason
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:44:40 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »
While I'm not nearly as passionate about it, I think the gist of his complaint is that even the slowest of slow players would have a hard time not finding an amount + letter early in the round that allows them to buy every relevant vowel in the puzzle. It's not in the spirit of the rule when the show debuted, where the top dollar was the value of two vowels.
Valid point, but it really is superb strategy, and Pat Sajak himself has pointed that out on the air countless times.