Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Dream Appearance  (Read 7701 times)

Kevin Prather

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
My choice would be "Super Millionaire". Although it seems unrealistic that I would make it into uncharted waters in that game, just having the chance would be a thrill.

Winkfan

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
The Big Showdown.  I was only 14 when it aired, so I never had the chance.

I was 12 around that same time, so you and I are in the same boat.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:53:13 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
This. Unless the board still has some heavy amounts remaining, I'm not against bailing on an early 6-figure offer.
This was my thought. Walk on the first offer after Round Three over $140K. (Figuring that that way after the tax you still take home six figures.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
I've told this story before.  On an early trip to LA, I checked the want ads for any game shows that might be looking for contestants, and the only one that was doing auditions was some thing on Comedy Central that would be hosted by a bad, obscure character actor.  Sounded dumb, so I passed.  I therefore missed out on a chance to play Win Ben Stein's Money.

Beyond that, I DID get my dream appearance.  And as I said at the time, dreams do come true, they just don't always come true the way you want them to.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
Double Dare. If I was the age of the target demographic, prizes wouldn't be that important to me and most of the prizes available would be pretty darn cool.

Jay Temple

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Pyramid, any 20th-century incarnation
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Allstar87

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
There's a lot of good choices, but I would have to say Wheel of Fortune. Growing up, it was always one of my favorite shows.

joker316

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Concentration, in a heartbeat.
I'll second that. Growing up, it was the show I wanted to be on.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
This surprises me.  I thought you would be in it more for the game than for the reward.
Well, here's the thing of it. Mark didn't put any strings on it so I'm going for the brass ring. You've known me for lots of years, you know as well as I all the shows I would love to be on. But let's say I get on $100,000 Pyramid with LeVar Burton and Markie Post. Maybe I'm on the wrong end of a 21-21 tie, or Geordi bobbles one and I lose 21-20 and go home with Rice-a-Roni. I may be a terrific puzzle solver but if the spins are there, it won't do me much good on Wheel of Fortune. I have a store of knowledge in my head, but my playing against other people has proved that I don't have the rhythm for Jeopardy, so that's out.

In the last few years, it seems that instead of anyone who is able to play the game and have a good time doing it being eligible to be a contestant, the pickers are looking for flamboyant personalities, compelling backstories and long-lost family members to reunite on stage, all to be manipulated in post production. And I don't fit that; I'm just a guy who likes game shows and it becomes clearer with each season that I'm not what they're looking for. So I pick the show that asks you to name the first twenty-six positive integers and say two other words, and in return you can win tens of thousands of dollars. Since I'm not guaranteed anything, I would look to maximize the potential that I could bring home a huge amount of money to pay off some stuff, help out some family and friends, and maybe take the gas off and work less than sixty hours a week for a while.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
In the last few years, it seems that instead of anyone who is able to play the game and have a good time doing it being eligible to be a contestant, the pickers are looking for flamboyant personalities, compelling backstories and long-lost family members to reunite on stage, all to be manipulated in post production. And I don't fit that; I'm just a guy who likes game shows and it becomes clearer with each season that I'm not what they're looking for. So I pick the show that asks you to name the first twenty-six positive integers and say two other words, and in return you can win tens of thousands of dollars. Since I'm not guaranteed anything, I would look to maximize the potential that I could bring home a huge amount of money to pay off some stuff, help out some family and friends, and maybe take the gas off and work less than sixty hours a week for a while.
This. All of this. I couldn't stand the US version of D/ND (at least not the NBC version...the syndie one was okay). But in the end, if I'm looking to maximize my earnings, I have a better shot on D/ND than on Pyramid, Wheel, or some of the other shows I wanted to say (TJW, TTD, or Sale/$ale). The other five I listed would be great for the challenge (yes, even TJW), but if I'm looking to score a decent payday* for no work, then D/ND it is.

*I'd say $50K or more. Unless Murphy wants to completely invoke his law upon me early on, that kind of payday sounds feasible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:36:30 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
*I'd say $50K or more. Unless Murphy wants to completely invoke his law upon me early on, that kind of payday sounds feasible.
I've also known you for years now, and if your game were to crater early, I know you'd have the sense to duck out when it was proper to do so.

Here's part of the question: does this assume that the show was brought back today? Do I get a time machine where I'm at the peak of my game playing ability in order to have a go? Am I only allowed to pick shows where I was old enough to play at the time the show aired?

As a kid: Get the Picture.
As an adult: Twenty-one.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
That didn't take long.
Yeah, that's why I sigh whenever I see that Mark has started Yet Another Pick ONE thread. 'Cuz you can boldface, italicize, underline, superscript, increase the font size, do whatever you want to that word, and some jackbag is going to totally defeat the point by ignoring it.

People aren't gonna pick ONE. Period. There's no point in continuing to try.
Yeah, well I don't think its asking for much.  It'd be very easy to post an entire list of dream shows; I don't see how asking for a little discretion is a bad thing.  I didn't even see Spongebob's post until I read Joe's.  Perhaps people like that shouldn't be allowed to post.

Anyhow, despite the fact I abhor the premise of the show and never tuned in, I would pick the primetime DonD for simple reasons of easy financial gain.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
It'd be very easy to post an entire list of dream shows; I don't see how asking for a little discretion is a bad thing.
Because if you haven't figured out by now that you're not gonna get it, then you simply aren't going to.

Perhaps people like that shouldn't be allowed to post.
Perhaps, but the fact is that they are and will continue to be, and continuing to beat the drum isn't gonna change that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:23:16 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »
Since I'm good with words, I'd pick WOF. A close second would be Password or Pyramid.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Your Dream Appearance
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
Yeah, that's why I sigh whenever I see that Mark has started Yet Another Pick ONE thread. 'Cuz you can boldface, italicize, underline, superscript, increase the font size, do whatever you want to that word, and some jackbag is going to totally defeat the point by ignoring it.
It'll either be this or more labored and unfunny sex jokes from him. So for me it is six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Travis L. Eberle