Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Single day winnings record before Larson?  (Read 6229 times)

wxnerd

Single day winnings record before Larson?
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »
Hi everyone.

I'm helping with research for an article about Michael Larson and his PYL victory. I've had no problem finding the amount of money he won, or information about the lady who broke his record in 2006. However, I'm curious as to held the record before. That is, who was the previous holder of the single-day winnings record, and what amount of money did he or she win?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Monica

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »
Are you looking for the daytime record or the record for both daytime and primetime? (I'm not sure of either, but it'll help someone else.)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
And more for our group: would somebody who won the $100,000 on Name That Tune not count because they had to win the week prior to qualify?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
I'm going to cast my lot with one-day winners on Dream House, not that I know of anyone who won on day one or what their final take was.
Travis L. Eberle

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »
Barbara Phillips won the lot on $ale of the Century (August '83?) before Larsen won his 10 months later.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:32:28 PM by Strikerz04 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
Barbara Phillips won the lot on $ale of the Century (August '83?)
Yeah, but technically she did that over the course of several days.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
I'm going to cast my lot with one-day winners on Dream House, not that I know of anyone who won on day one or what their final take was.

According to Matt Sittel's page, at least one couple achieved that feat - but the total is not provided on the page. Those with his megamix (my copy is back east) might have that answer.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
At the very least, the record would be higher than the $50,000 jackpot on the daily version of Treasure Hunt.
Travis L. Eberle

wxnerd

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
Are you looking for the daytime record or the record for both daytime and primetime? (I'm not sure of either, but it'll help someone else.)

Both, if possible. But at this point, I'll take whatever is known. :D

Monica

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
Barbara Phillips won the lot on $ale of the Century (August '83?)
Yeah, but technically she did that over the course of several days.
But therein lies the problem with any sort of defined "record".  She didn't have all those winnings the day before, and then she played one game and suddenly she did.  And of course technically, even Larsen's feat was presented to us over the course of two days.

There were a surprising number of six-figure winners on several different shows around that time.  Personally, I think the fact that Larson won his booty in a single performance as opposed to multiple shows is just about the least interesting thing about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
If not Name That Tune, I would guess something from the scandals era. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many games from the 60s to early-80s that offered more than $50,000 as a top prize. And even during the 50s, winnings were mostly cumulative instead of progressive, no?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
If not Name That Tune, I would guess something from the scandals era. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many games from the 60s to early-80s that offered more than $50,000 as a top prize. And even during the 50s, winnings were mostly cumulative instead of progressive, no?
You're probably on to something here. What was the biggest pot on 50s Tic Tac Dough? That might be up there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
But therein lies the problem with any sort of defined "record".  She didn't have all those winnings the day before, and then she played one game and suddenly she did.
Not disagreeing, but that's why I assumed Travis was mentioning the caveat with Dream House of winning on the first day, since subsequent attempts at the house were given advantages based on previous victories. (Not to mention additional front-game winnings.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
I'm not sure myself, but for purposes of defining this, Larson's win has usually been credited as the single-day record by a single person on a network daytime game show.

So that nixes any syndicated offerings, including Hunt & Tune, and couple's efforts on Dream House are out (which for THAT category, wouldn't they be a show onto themselves?). And even with the episode split of Larson's run, they defined a single game as one day. It's no one's fault that the game took as long as it did.

With the definition properly narrowed like that, I would say that it would probably be either some double showcase winner and beyond on Price, or if a mega jackpot was won by a first-time champ on Password Plus late in the Kennedy run. (What WAS their highest progressive win, anyway?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:49:12 PM by Sonic Whammy »
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
I'm not sure myself, but for purposes of defining this, Larson's win has usually been credited as the single-day record by a single person on a network daytime game show
And at some point the codicils and definitions dilute the "record" to something like this.

To the original poster: I would strongly suggest that you take Matt's advice and not focus on the fact that he broke someone else's record, and stick with the fact that he cracked a game, won over $100,000 on a show which to that point had topped out at $35k, and caused no end of consternation to the production staff. Don't worry about the "record" business; that's only of interest to wonks like us.
Travis L. Eberle