Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows on Christmas Day  (Read 27035 times)

gameshowguy2000

Game Shows on Christmas Day
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2003, 07:49:48 PM »
Hopefully, tomorrow, Santa's bag of Christmas-themed game shows won't rain on anybody's plans!

Tomorrow: GSN's Holiday Marathon (5 hours of FF, and then Christmas-themed episodes of Weakest Link, TTTT, Lingo, Russian Roulette, and Friend Or Foe, and the Match Game Merry-Blank-A-Thon, featuring Charles Nelson Reilly as JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK!), Family Feud (Karn version), Pyramid, H2, Jeopardy, and Wheel Of Fortune, and Shop 'Til You Drop.

I saw today's FF, and it was Engleharts vs. Griffiths, and the Griffiths swept the first Triple Round question, which was: Name a place where you could see Santa Claus BEFORE Christmas.

I hope you guys managed to shout the following answers to your screen:

1. Malls
2. Shops
3. Corners
4. Parades

That Don Guy

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2003, 10:05:39 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 12 2003, 10:03 AM\'] I also could swear I remember there being a DSW on Christmas Day....Had to be around 1980 or 1981 if TPiR aired on Christmas during those years... [/quote]
I think Christmas Eve was TPIR's "big event day" back in the early 1980s.  I definitely remember somebody winning a $32,000 showcase including an airplane (not an "ultralight" - I think they did give away one of those the following year - but the kind you need lessons (they threw in 100 hours' worth) and a license for) on a Christmas Eve around 1981 or '82, but I don't recall a DSW.  (Then again, it could have been in the late '70s, during one of San Francisco's "dark periods" when none of the independent stations would pick it up after the CBS affiliate decided to show a local morning program instead.)

-- Don (and how long has it been since TPIR didn't have a tree as the first IUFB on its last new show of the Christmas season?)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2003, 10:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 09:05 PM\'] (and how long has it been since TPIR didn't have a tree as the first IUFB on its last new show of the Christmas season?) [/quote]
 Oh.  Does that mean it's a rerun maņana?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2003, 10:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 10:35 PM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 09:05 PM\'] (and how long has it been since TPIR didn't have a tree as the first IUFB on its last new show of the Christmas season?) [/quote]

Doug [/quote]
 It'll be reruns from tomorrow through next Wed(12/31). Friday 1/2 will be the first new show of 2004. TPIR's last first run show on XMas Day was in 1996, and that episode was rerun the next two Xmas days.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2003, 10:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 09:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 10:35 PM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 24 2003, 09:05 PM\'] (and how long has it been since TPIR didn't have a tree as the first IUFB on its last new show of the Christmas season?) [/quote]

Doug [/quote]
It'll be reruns from tomorrow through next Wed(12/31). Friday 1/2 will be the first new show of 2004. TPIR's last first run show on XMas Day was in 1996, and that episode was rerun the next two Xmas days. [/quote]
 Six minutes?  Zach, you're slipping.  :)  And happy sixth night of Hanukkah, while I'm at it.

Doug -- soon to overtake John C. for 19th place on the all-time posts list (not that I'm keeping track or anything), that is until he overtakes me right back
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2003, 01:51:30 PM »
(and how long has it been since TPIR didn't have a tree as the first IUFB on its last new show of the Christmas season?)

Usually w/an instrumental version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town as the accompanying cue, as well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2003, 10:25:57 PM »
And, of course, nowadays, we all know that the cue for the tree and the animated Santa and Mrs. Claus, is the repeating chorus of Jingle Bells, with sleigh bells in the background.

uncamark

« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2003, 08:18:38 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 10:25 PM\']And, of course, nowadays, we all know that the cue for the tree and the animated Santa and Mrs. Claus, is the repeating chorus of Jingle Bells, with sleigh bells in the background.[/quote]
Because "Jingle Bells" is public domain and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" isn't.  Either Barker or Syd Vinnedge must make it very clear to Stan that they don't want to pay royalties (which made the renditions of "Happy Birthday" on the birthday shows particularly interesting, because I thought the song was still under copyright).

I still remember Barker talking to a "T or C" contestant who said that he was a singer:  "Could you do something for us?  Sing 'Happy Birthday'--no, don't sing 'Happy Birthday.'  We have to pay for it."

Besides, between "T or C" and the Jack LaLanne reruns that ESPN Classic has started airing early in the morning, I am convinced that Dave Bacal didn't know *any* music under copyright.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2003, 04:16:13 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 08:18 PM\']I still remember Barker talking to a "T or C" contestant who said that he was a singer:  "Could you do something for us?  Sing 'Happy Birthday'--no, don't sing 'Happy Birthday.'  We have to pay for it."[/quote]
This dilemma is actually a blessing on Jeopardy!, as it often prevents Trebek from singing.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin