Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows on Christmas Day  (Read 27028 times)

zachhoran

Game Shows on Christmas Day
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2003, 06:54:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 02:27 PM\'] And whenever a new station picked up a B&E show, they had to start at least with the beginning of the current season (or the last season if they were paying less money). [/quote]
 When Channel 48 WKBS in Philadelphia picked up Bullseye in Spring 1982, they started at the beginning of the show's run in Fall 1980. It only lasted a few months on that station. When WPXI in Pittsburgh picked up Bullseye in Summer 1984, some two years after the last first run shows aired, reruns from Fall 1980 aired on that station. When WCAU CHannel 10 in Philly picked up Caldwell TTD in March 1986, they aired the beginning of the season, and aired the first six months of the season through September.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2003, 07:51:46 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 02:22 PM\'] Didn't The Joker's Wild air on Christmas Day too?  I know there was an episode or two in which Santas and Scrooges were used instead of Jokers and Devils in the second bonus round during their CBS days. [/quote]
 Santas and Scrooges instead of Jokers and Devils? That's pretty nice for TJW.

And, I assume that only Scrooges would only appear on the wheels during the Face The Devil version, true?

zachhoran

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 07:57:25 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 07:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 02:22 PM\'] Didn't The Joker's Wild air on Christmas Day too?  I know there was an episode or two in which Santas and Scrooges were used instead of Jokers and Devils in the second bonus round during their CBS days. [/quote]

And, I assume that only Scrooges would only appear on the wheels during the Face The Devil version, true? [/quote]
 The Xmas 1972 TJW episode GSN aired in March 2001 had such a bonus round.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 08:27:05 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 07:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 07:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 02:22 PM\'] Didn't The Joker's Wild air on Christmas Day too?  I know there was an episode or two in which Santas and Scrooges were used instead of Jokers and Devils in the second bonus round during their CBS days. [/quote]

And, I assume that only Scrooges would only appear on the wheels during the Face The Devil version, true? [/quote]
The Xmas 1972 TJW episode GSN aired in March 2001 had such a bonus round. [/quote]
 No, no, no.

I was talking about the Face The Devil bonus round with money on the wheels.

I could picture Scrooges there. Did that ever happen from 1978-1986?

HSquares2003

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 08:29:31 PM »
For some reason, I think TTD was decorated for Xmas.

MG '70s(probably '74) had a Xmas themed show with CNR dressed as Santa. Don't know if they aired on Xmas though in the original run.

Pretty much any NBC game show would have had an Xmas themed set and an episode airing on Xmas day. Add Classic Concentration to this list as well.

zachhoran

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2003, 08:33:29 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:27 PM\']
No, no, no.

I was talking about the Face The Devil bonus round with money on the wheels.

I could picture Scrooges there. Did that ever happen from 1978-1986? [/quote]
 By Xmas 1974, the money and devils round took effect, so maybe on that week of shows Scrooge was the Devil.

Syndie TJW, like all syndicated game shows of the period, was taped without holiday references.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2003, 08:35:02 PM »
Was TJW bicycled like the G-T panel shows and MG?

zachhoran

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 08:38:17 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM\'] For some reason, I think TTD was decorated for Xmas.

MG '70s(probably '74) had a Xmas themed show with CNR dressed as Santa. Don't know if they aired on Xmas though in the original run.

Pretty much any NBC game show would have had an Xmas themed set and an episode airing on Xmas day. Add Classic Concentration to this list as well. [/quote]
 Syndie TTD did not celebrate Xmas on air, as SYndie game shows back then weren't taped with holiday references as the shows could air at different times in different cities. CBS TTD aired in the SUmmer of 1978, so they'd have no Xmas references. Perhaps the 50s TTD on NBC mentioned and celebrated Xmas on air.

MG7x when on CBS did celebrate Xmas on air on most occasions(though they of course made a bigger deal about New Year's Eve/Day), though no Xmas decorations graced the set. MG90 had an Xmas decorated set.

Classic Concentration did indeed have the set decorated for Xmas all four years, but the 10-11AM EST hour, of which CC was a part in its original run(10:30AM EST) was always preempted for NBC special programming on Xmas day back then.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2003, 09:38:26 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM\'] For some reason, I think TTD was decorated for Xmas.

Pretty much any NBC game show would have had an Xmas themed set and an episode airing on Xmas day. Add Classic Concentration to this list as well. [/quote]
The CNR as Santa MG episode was from MG '73, and was part of the 12 Games marathon.

And he did a great job dressing as Santa too, I might add.

BTW, was the Classic Concentration set totally decorated with the usual Christmas trees, garland, lights and ornaments, etc., etc., and did Alex and Marjorie (the only model on the show) dress up?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 10:05:02 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

That Don Guy

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2003, 10:59:10 PM »
There was a Christmas special episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes during its run, with Pat Boone and Flip Wilson playing for the Boy Scouts and the American Cancer Society, respectively.  (It was the first show with the white lights in the nubmers, which made it much easier to see which podiums were lit on black-and-white TVs.)
Something tells me the ending was rigged; Jim McKrell asked a relatively obvious All-or-Nothing question ("Who sang, 'Christmas, Christmas, Christmas Time is Here, Time for Love and Time for Cheer'?", and he sang it in a high squeaky voice) which all of the celebrities got right (the answer: Alvin and the Chipmunks), and during the closing credits, the announcer said that a question had been scratched in the All or Nothing round.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two contestants picked somebody with the wrong answer, and then they decided to "scratch" it (normally, a question is scratched only if all six celebrities get it wrong).

How about network game shows on New Year's Day?  Both CBS and NBC pretty much showed parades and football (back when NBC aired the Rose Bowl).

-- Don

zachhoran

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2003, 11:09:46 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:59 PM\']

How about network game shows on New Year's Day?  Both CBS and NBC pretty much showed parades and football (back when NBC aired the Rose Bowl).

[/quote]
 $otC aired on NBC on New Year's Day in 1985, 1987, and 1988, and Classic Concentration aired on NBC on New Year's Day in 1988. Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve 1993 saw CBS air a rerun of 80s $25K Pyramid.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2003, 11:26:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 11:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:59 PM\']

How about network game shows on New Year's Day?  Both CBS and NBC pretty much showed parades and football (back when NBC aired the Rose Bowl).

[/quote]
$otC aired on NBC on New Year's Day in 1985, 1987, and 1988, and Classic Concentration aired on NBC on New Year's Day in 1988. Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve 1993 saw CBS air a rerun of 80s $25K Pyramid. [/quote]
 I thought all the major networks pre-empted their daytime programming to air the Rose Bowl Parade.

BrandonFG

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2003, 12:10:06 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:38 PM\'][quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM\'] For some reason, I think TTD was decorated for Xmas.[/quote][/quote]
I remember on one ep. of TTD 90, Patrick Wayne noted that the female contestant was dressed in X-mas colors, green and red. Don't know if they actually did a Christmas ep., but now I want to say that they did.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2003, 12:26:03 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 10:26 PM\'] I thought all the major networks pre-empted their daytime programming to air the Rose Bowl Parade. [/quote]
 Not all the time.  The Rose Parade coverage usually began at 11:30 AM ET (or in some cases 11AM), so there was time if NBC or CBS wanted to show their regular daytime shows up to that point (although CBS usually carried the Cotton Bowl Parade from Dallas, while NBC sometimes aired their usual games or possibly the Fiesta Bowl Parade--once instead they did a variety special, which was the first time I ever saw Jon "Bowser" Bauman put his Julliard training to use).  ABC never bothered with the Rose Parade until they wrested the football game away from NBC (as a result, ABC's coverage of the parade is produced by ABC Sports).  I do remember that both CS and J! aired on NBC 1/1/79 (the first time G2T2 had an icebag on its head).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2003, 01:12:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 10 2003, 12:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:38 PM\'][quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM\'] For some reason, I think TTD was decorated for Xmas.[/quote][/quote]
I remember on one ep. of TTD 90, Patrick Wayne noted that the female contestant was dressed in X-mas colors, green and red. Don't know if they actually did a Christmas ep., but now I want to say that they did. [/quote]
I'm assuming that the O's stayed Red, and the X's turned Green, right? Or did the X's stay BLUE?

HSquares2003, did the background for X-captured boxes turn green, or was it blue during the holiday season? I know for sure O-captured boxes were red.

Now, I'm assuming both sets had the usual trees and lights, etc. Right?

Does this also apply to the Classic Concentration set?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 01:16:19 AM by gameshowguy2000 »