Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whammy question  (Read 11844 times)

bradhig

Whammy question
« on: June 24, 2003, 02:01:22 AM »
Why was the \"Can you hear me now\" line removed from the cell phone whammy?  did they get in trouble for using it?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whammy question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 02:37:05 AM »
[quote name=\'bradhig\' date=\'Jun 23 2003, 11:01 PM\'] Why was the "Can you hear me now" line removed from the cell phone whammy?  did they get in trouble for using it? [/quote]
 I'm guessing the Verizon people probably took out a copyright on it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

Whammy question
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 04:38:02 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 24 2003, 01:37 AM\'] I'm guessing the Verizon people probably took out a copyright on it. [/quote]
 Why do that? Its free advertising whenever someone uses it.

BrandonFG

Whammy question
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 10:12:33 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jun 24 2003, 03:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 24 2003, 01:37 AM\'] I'm guessing the Verizon people probably took out a copyright on it. [/quote]
Why do that? Its free advertising whenever someone uses it. [/quote]
 \"Can you hear me now...good!\" is likely a licensed slogan now.  I mean, the cell phone guy even does his spiel during NBA halftime outros.  So, if Whammy! wants to use that phrase, they would have to give Verizon some dough to use it.  And it would make no sense whatsoever to pay another company just so you can use their slogan for one measly whammy, not when you have 99 more whammies to choose from. It's just not feasible, and it's a waste of time.

I could go on, but I don't have my Media Law book on me. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whammy question
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 11:12:53 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jun 24 2003, 01:38 AM\'] Why do that? Its free advertising whenever someone uses it. [/quote]
 Well, the idea is to keep ANOTHER cellphone company from using your catchphrase, of course, but in Whammy's case, they probably got a C&D (cease & desist) from Verizon once the phrase was copyrighted because they only want the catchphrase used concurrently with the logo being displayed on the screen or some such. It's not really free advertising if 99% of your audience goes \"I recognize that line...what cellphone carrier is that?\"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe