Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet another Pyramid question  (Read 6016 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Yet another Pyramid question
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:07 AM »
But it is the judge's job to buzz the team if they continue to give clues that don't fit the category, and that is undeniable.

It is? I thought we had this argument before. If the box says "Vice Presidents" and I say "Abraham Lincoln, Skip Stephenson," am I getting buzzed? I never recall that happening in an episode. Misinformation hardly seems like an illegal clue.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:53 AM »
It is? I thought we had this argument before. If the box says "Vice Presidents" and I say "Abraham Lincoln, Skip Stephenson," am I getting buzzed? I never recall that happening in an episode. Misinformation hardly seems like an illegal clue.
Misinformation is one thing, but if you're saying "recyclable metal" and "a failed pilot" for "Things that are scraped", you're probably getting the zap.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:29 AM »
Misinformation is one thing, but if you're saying "recyclable metal" and "a failed pilot" for "Things that are scraped", you're probably getting the zap.

This sounds like it's coming out of thin air. There are countless examples of "read it!" from over the years where nobody was buzzed.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »

This sounds like it's coming out of thin air. There are countless examples of "read it!" from over the years where nobody was buzzed.
You'll get a "read it", usually, but if you continue down that road after the warning (hence me saying "continue to give clues..."), you're looking for trouble.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:01:55 AM by Kevin Prather »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:23:51 AM »
In practice there can't be a rule requiring the judge/producer/emcee to stop the game or tell the contestant to "read it again" if a contestant misreads the subject and starts giving bogus clues. If that happens and the judge/producer/emcee doesn't catch it in time, who's to blame? The contestant for misreading the subject or the j/p/e for not catching it before time runs out? I'm sure there's plenty of language in the show bible covering this, but I don't have a copy.

visualbasicwizard

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
I was watching the ep on Friday morning, and the top box was "PEOPLE YOU PROVIDE AID", and Henry Pollack misread it as "PEOPLE WHO PROVIDE AID", and starting giving the wrong clues.  Dick told him to reread it, he still read it wrong, continued to give the wrong clues, Dick told him again to reread it.  This look of utter confusion comes over his face as he's trying to grok the cateorgory (in fact you could clearly seem him lip out the subject), and then time runs out.

I was expecting him to get buzzed for damn-near reading the answer out aloud, but they let that gong-show continue.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:02:00 PM by visualbasicwizard »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »
I was watching the ep on Friday morning, and the top box was "PEOPLE YOU PROVIDE AID", and Henry Pollack misread it as "PEOPLE WHO PROVIDE AID", and starting giving the wrong clues.  Dick told him to reread it, he still read it wrong, continued to give the wrong clues, Dick told him again to reread it.
Huh. Well, here's a precedent that blows my argument out of the water. If he didn't get buzzed by the second warning, then perhaps I'm wrong.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
I was watching the ep on Friday morning, and the top box was "PEOPLE YOU PROVIDE AID", and Henry Pollack misread it as "PEOPLE WHO PROVIDE AID", and starting giving the wrong clues.  Dick told him to reread it, he still read it wrong, continued to give the wrong clues, Dick told him again to reread it.
Huh. Well, here's a precedent that blows my argument out of the water. If he didn't get buzzed by the second warning, then perhaps I'm wrong.

Several years ago, I remember seeing someone getting buzzed for saying "The Old Man and the Sea" for "Things on the Bottom". I'm 100% certain that Dick said he got buzzed because it didn't fit the category, and not because of any grammar issues.
Bobby Peacock

Mr. Matté

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
There is an ep. in the current GSN reruns where Anne Bloom reads the first category metals as medals and says "honor." Dick is trying to tell her to reread it but the judge zaps her. After the commercial, Dick says that normally the judge would not buzz on a misread but the $50 that would be given to her would not be score money.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:35:39 PM by Mr. Matté »

dale_grass

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
There is an ep. in the current GSN reruns where Anne Bloom reads the first category metals as medals and says "honor." Dick is trying to tell her to reread it but the judge zaps her. After the commercial, Dick says that normally the judge would not buzz on a misread but the $50 that would be given to her would not be score money.

Her clue was "of honor," which would get you zapped even if the category were "Medals."