Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you could pick one show, and only one show  (Read 18356 times)

vexer6

If you could pick one show, and only one show
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
Combs Family Feud IS in fact returning to GSN, not sure when exactly, but it's happening!

Just like I'm sure politicians will stop acting like a bunch of three year olds. Not sure when, exactly, but it's happening!

Seriously, though, on what basis do you claim this?  Are you privy to some sort of scheduling information the general population is unaware of? Does a credible news source report this? Did your bowling buddy's third cousin Elmo have a few drinks with a GSN executive?  Source, please.
Here's where I got the info from
http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Game_Show_Network

pacdude

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
Combs Family Feud IS in fact returning to GSN, not sure when exactly, but it's happening!

Just like I'm sure politicians will stop acting like a bunch of three year olds. Not sure when, exactly, but it's happening!

Seriously, though, on what basis do you claim this?  Are you privy to some sort of scheduling information the general population is unaware of? Does a credible news source report this? Did your bowling buddy's third cousin Elmo have a few drinks with a GSN executive?  Source, please.

So, a Wikipedia article with no sources. Good job.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
Pity you cannot read:

[quote name='FTFA']List of Past Game Shows[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:36:22 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Pity you cannot read:

For the infinity +1 problems I have with that source, it actually does  list Ray Combs' Family Feud, along with a few other shows, in a section  marked  "Upcoming and Future Shows".  

That said, as a helpful hint for  future reference, random lists o' stuff from Wikipedia are often about  as reliable a source of information as information gleaned from your  uncle's second cousin's co-worker at the swap meet. In fact, I'd argue  that depending on the subject you'd gain more accurate information by  consulting a Magic 8-ball.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:43:16 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 05:51:27 PM »
For the infinity +1 problems I have with that source, it actually does  list Ray Combs' Family Feud, along with a few other shows, in a section  marked  "Upcoming and Future Shows".
Oh, fair enough. Pity I cannot read, then.

That said, as a helpful hint for  future reference, random lists o' stuff from Wikipedia are often about  as reliable a source of information as information gleaned from your  uncle's second cousin's co-worker at the swap meet. In fact, I'd argue  that depending on the subject you'd gain more accurate information by  consulting a Magic 8-ball.
This, this, a heaping helping of this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:51:36 PM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
Considering that all the questinos were multiple choice (at least, all the ones I saw, which I found an immediate turn-off), I'd say the revival of Twenty-One is overrated.
Given that the questions on Millionaire were multiple choice, I didn't find 21's use of them egregious. I did find their use of easy-like-pie toss-ups as tiebreakers to be egregious. The other problem I had was for the amount of money being thrown around on the show, I was hoping for some weightier material.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
The other problem I had was for the amount of money being thrown around on the show, I was hoping for some weightier material.
I believe this is the problem re: multiple choice: When your first game, your very first game, is for One Hundred Thousand Damn Dollars, anything multiple choice is not weighty enough pretty much by definition.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
I believe this is the problem re: multiple choice: When your first game, your very first game, is for One Hundred Thousand Damn Dollars, anything multiple choice is not weighty enough pretty much by definition.
I understand and accept that, but I also think that Millionaire is able to walk that tightrope some of the time, but when your question material seems to come more from the supermarket checkout magazines than from National Geographic or Scientific American, then it becomes more apparent. Less money, better material and who was the ad wizard that came up with the audience vote to pick the incoming challenger?
Travis L. Eberle

vexer6

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
I understand and accept that, but I also think that Millionaire is able to walk that tightrope some of the time, but when your question material seems to come more from the supermarket checkout magazines than from National Geographic or Scientific American, then it becomes more apparent. Less money, better material and who was the ad wizard that came up with the audience vote to pick the incoming challenger?
I agree that the questions were a tad too easy, the 11 point questions weren't much harder then the mid-tiear questions on Millionare, one 11 point question was "Which two movies did Julia Roberts NOT appear in?" that should've been at most a 5-6 point question.

clemon79

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
I understand and accept that, but I also think that Millionaire is able to walk that tightrope some of the time,
The difference is that on Millionaire in order to see a six-figure question, you first had to correctly answer eleven questions before it. (Admittedly, they turned the first five into a joke, but that still leaves five more.) How often did a game of Twenty-One go four rounds, much less five?

who was the ad wizard that came up with the audience vote to pick the incoming challenger?
It was a gimmick, and I assure you 99.999% of the folks at home don't give one single tin rip how the next player is selected. So most people go "meh, who cares" and a few go "hey, that's different."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:41:34 PM by clemon79 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
The difference is that on Millionaire in order to see a six-figure question, you first had to correctly answer eleven questions before it. (Admittedly, they turned the first five into a joke, but that still leaves five more.)
I thought the last pre-Shuffle money ladder made the first tier ($500-$1,000-$2,000-$3,000-$5,000) less of a joke...although admittedly, the increase was likely done so contestants would have more incentive to walk away or let time expire.

(The current money amounts are almost the same as that money ladder, except that $7,500 became $7,000 and $12,500 became...$100.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BillCullen1

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
I'd like to see Peter Marshall's Hollywood Squares back, even though GSN says the ratings were bad and viewers didn't know the celebs. They didn't know Paul Lynde, Rose Marie and Vincent Price but they know Brett Somers, Joyce Bulifant and Bill Daily from Match Game - yeah right.

Besides, some of those jokes on Squares were classics!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
They didn't know Paul Lynde, Rose Marie and Vincent Price but they know Brett Somers, Joyce Bulifant and Bill Daily from Match Game - yeah right.
Aside from their appearances on HS, I can tell you exactly one thing Vincent Price did:  Voice a character on The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.  I have no clue what the others did outside of HS.

Face it--the ratings sucked and aside from an occasional one-liner, the show was slow and boring.  In comparison, Match Game moves much faster.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:06:02 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

pacdude

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
They didn't know Paul Lynde, Rose Marie and Vincent Price but they know Brett Somers, Joyce Bulifant and Bill Daily from Match Game - yeah right.
Aside from their appearances on HS, I can tell you exactly one thing Vincent Price did:  Voice a character on The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.  I have no clue what the others did outside of HS.

Face it--the ratings sucked and aside from an occasional one-liner, the show was slow and boring.  In comparison, Match Game moves much faster.

Really?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
I will grudgingly accept that there is a younger generation who doesn't know who ANY of these people are, but the original point that the first three are more famous than the second three is absolutely right, and the limits of your personal pop culture awareness doesn't change that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.