Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Big" news coming today...  (Read 10222 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"Big" news coming today...
« on: December 03, 2003, 03:21:40 AM »
According to Steve; the programming announcement comes today.  I hope this isn't it:

Evan Marriott, the original Joe Millionaire, who made temporarily famous the phrase: "I think I'll give her a shot," has agreed to host Game Show Network's first original dating show, Fake-a-Date. Details on the format are expected later today.

(The above blurb was also provided by Steve).

A poster on the GSN boards who claims to have a "relative" who knows the "top brass" at GSN made the comment--"you won't be dissapointed".  We shall see...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Starkman

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 04:59:13 AM »
good grief, personally i think the video games were a better idea (actually i don't think the VG block is that bad at all, just not fitting with the rest of their programming.) This smells of Burt Luddin, funny money and DJ games. If it is what I think it is from your discription it sounds like a VERY bad idea.

Robair

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 06:22:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 03:21 AM\'] Evan Marriott, the original Joe Millionaire, who made temporarily famous the phrase: "I think I'll give her a shot," has agreed to host Game Show Network's first original dating show, Fake-a-Date. [/quote]
 I thought that quote came from Phil Spector.

Anyway, this dating show...not good. I don't want clonelets of the docudateries that are already clogging up lesser channels on GSN.  Especially when the industry feeds its own and recruits its pseudo-celebs to host them.

That's why Boden's announcement is so key...it being Boden and not Cronin, we know this is going to have to do with a classic franchise.
--Robair

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 12:00:47 PM »
This is a fun day, no matter what the outcome. Luckily I have an internet connection as work, as I have been cycling through Prof's page, GSN boards, and here in no particular order.

I honestly don't think Marriott's new show is what Prof's alluding to.....My gut tells me some kind of acquisition (I'm hoping TPiR but won't be crestfallen if it's not).

Later on, though, I'll be doing stuff in the evening, so if I left my cell #, could someone text me with what it is? I'm too lazy to come on here and check for myself....

(last part was a joke, BTW - although there are some people over on the GSN board asking questions like that - which makes me sick).

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 03:48:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 06:22 AM\']Anyway, this dating show...not good. I don't want clonelets of the docudateries that are already clogging up lesser channels on GSN.  Especially when the industry feeds its own and recruits its pseudo-celebs to host them. [/quote]
I'm not happy about this, but as long as it remains a once-a-week deal, it's OK by me.  Just don't start stripping an original dating show or doing a second original one (or looking into picking up the reruns of "ElimiDate," although my sense tells me that it could happen a few years down the line).

As if Bob Boden is waiting with baited breath for my programming advice.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 04:32:11 PM »
While I am pointing the finger of shame to GSN for hiring someone with the IQ of mustard to host yet another dating snoozefest, I am certain that is NOT the big news that we are waiting for.

I will give GSN credit, though. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 10:07:00 PM »
Found this story at this link:

http://www.cynopsis.com/view_cynopsis_text.cfm?ID=1236

Gang, I think this is gonna take a turn that some of us might not have seen coming, if this ties into their "major announcement"......Pay close attention to the last sentence..

--
Game Show Network will debut a new date/game show in March called Fake-a-Date, says Variety.  The deal is one contestant is presented with two dates - one is a fake.  If at the end of the day the contestant chooses the fake, the fake date wins the trip, etc., and the contestant gets nothing.  Arbitrating the contestants is one of primetime's biggest fakers - the original Joe Millionaire, Evan Marriott.  GSN has ordered six eps from Montana Prods.  GSN may also be looking at a network name change to coincide with its brand expansion plans; more on that in first qtr 2004.
---

chuckwooleryfan

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 10:08:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 04:32 PM\'] While I am pointing the finger of shame to GSN for hiring someone with the IQ of mustard to host yet another dating snoozefest, I am certain that is NOT the big news that we are waiting for.

I will give GSN credit, though. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 I do too. But hopefully this isn't what GSN had in mind as far as this big announcement was concerned.

If it is, well... I won't say anything. I've been known to do things that I regret later after going through a ballistic stage.

chuckwooleryfan

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 10:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 10:07 PM\'] GSN has ordered six eps from Montana Prods.  GSN may also be looking at a network name change to coincide with its brand expansion plans; more on that in first qtr 2004. [/quote]
Only six episodes, eh? Sounds like this'll be a once-a-week offering. If that's the case, it shouldn't mean too much harm.

As for the name change, I won't be surprised at all IF it happens. If they're starting to branch out into other types of games outside of the traditional game show, it just makes perfect sense to call it something else other than Game Show Network, much like how TNN changed their name to Spike to reflect their new direction.

I could end up being one of the very few on this board who wouldn't mind a name change, and if that's the case, then so be it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 10:16:02 PM by chuckwooleryfan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 10:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:07 PM\'] GSN may also be looking at a network name change to coincide with its brand expansion plans; more on that in first qtr 2004. [/quote]
 I would ask who Cynthia Turner is and what her source is for that little tidbit. For all we know she surfs the GSN boards anonymously, and it sounds like the silly speculation is even more rampant over there than it is here, so I'm sure more than a few name-change rumblings have come up...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 03:10:59 AM »
I would ask who Cynthia Turner is and what her source is for that little tidbit. For all we know she surfs the GSN boards anonymously, and it sounds like the silly speculation is even more rampant over there than it is here, so I'm sure more than a few name-change rumblings have come up...

Chris, I got an e-mail forward from Variety. Sounds like a legit deal.

~Chico

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 03:46:39 AM »
We shouldn't be totally surprised; it's been publicized ever since Libery purchased its stake in Sony that Game Show Network was going to eventually rely less on traditional game shows and expand its programming brands.

So the plans finally start coming into fruition.

Even with all of these changes, I doubt though that this will affect GSN's long-held minimum guarantee of 50% classic programmng.

--Jamie

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 07:51:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 03:46 AM\']

Even with all of these changes, I doubt though that this will affect GSN's long-held minimum guarantee of 50% classic programmng.

[/quote]
 But how does GSN explain the ninth rerun cycle of Wintuition(which Tuesday marks the one year anniversary of its premiere), a show there's no way in hell will come back with new episodes?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 11:34:36 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:51 AM\'] But how does GSN explain the ninth rerun cycle of Wintuition(which Tuesday marks the one year anniversary of its premiere), a show there's no way in hell will come back with new episodes? [/quote]
 Okay, hands up if you can answer this:

Who here, other than Zach, actually knew that WiuTuition was in fact in it's ninth rerun cycle? (Not eighth, not tenth, ninth.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 11:55:09 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 11:34 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 4 2003, 05:51 AM\'] But how does GSN explain the ninth rerun cycle of Wintuition(which Tuesday marks the one year anniversary of its premiere), a show there's no way in hell will come back with new episodes? [/quote]
Okay, hands up if you can answer this:

Who here, other than Zach, actually knew that WiuTuition was in fact in it's ninth rerun cycle? (Not eighth, not tenth, ninth.) [/quote]
 What do you get if you didn't even know it was still on? ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!