Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you be willing to sacrafice...  (Read 8316 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Would you be willing to sacrafice...
« on: December 03, 2003, 12:57:50 AM »
Out of curiosity; would you be willing to forfeit the entire Goodson library (MG, FF, etc.) for either A. TPiR or B. Reg Grundy?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 01:32:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 10:57 PM\'] Out of curiosity; would you be willing to forfeit the entire Goodson library (MG, FF, etc.) for either A. TPiR or B. Reg Grundy? [/quote]
 I watch exactly one show on GSN: $100,000 Pyramid. I'm sick of Match Game, I'm sick of Feud, and if I never see vintage Password again I think I'll manage to survive. I don't know that it would be the smartest business move for the network, but from a personal standpoint either acquisition would cause me to watch more GSN than I am now, without losing what I watch now, so, yes, I'd do either deal in a second.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 08:17:44 AM »
Seems to me that the only shows out of the GT library that GSN is running with any regularity is FF and MG.  Yeah CS and Blockbusters is popping up here and there, but nod ad nauseam like MG and FF.

Would I sacrifice the entire GT library for something else??  I don't know... that's something I'd have to chew on for a while.  Yeah... I really want to see something from B&E or Grundy on the air again... but I know if I'd give up the entire GT library to do it.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 11:11:04 AM »
At this point, I would gladly pass on the G-T library if it meant seeing the Reg Grundy shows, but that's purely from a selfish viewpoint.  In nine years, I've had a chance to see enough of the G-T library to be satisfied, so anything "new" would be appreciated.  It makes no business sense for GSN to actually go and DO that, mind you, but I'd take it if offered.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 11:26:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 11:11 AM\']At this point, I would gladly pass on the G-T library if it meant seeing the Reg Grundy shows, but that's purely from a selfish viewpoint.[/quote]
Indeed.  Who wouldn't want to see "thelovelySummerBartholomew" (as Jim Perry introduced her) refer to him as a "swinger" once more?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 12:12:14 PM »
Out of curiosity; would you be willing to forfeit the entire Goodson library (MG, FF, etc.) for either A. TPiR or B. Reg Grundy?

Yes, I agree with what Matt said - I've seen enough of GT over the past nine years I'm ready for something else.  

My top choices:  Reg Grundy library, "Whew", - or even just more of what they already have access to.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 12:36:50 PM »
As a network exec, I wouldn't give up one to get the other.  As a viewer, I would undoubtedly watch some shows I hadn't seen in a while, which means I'd be watching GSN more than I am now.  So perhaps I should change my first answer.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 12:49:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 12:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 11:11 AM\']At this point, I would gladly pass on the G-T library if it meant seeing the Reg Grundy shows, but that's purely from a selfish viewpoint.[/quote]
Indeed.  Who wouldn't want to see "thelovelySummerBartholomew" (as Jim Perry introduced her) refer to him as a "swinger" once more? [/quote]
 Well, if for no other reason that to get a better copy of it....

My 1986 appearance on SOTC notwithstanding, I was being "selfish" in the larger sense of my personal desire to see those shows again vs my personal satisfaction that I've gotten to see all the G-T shows I care to at this point.  Again, from a business standpoint, it would make no sense at all to trade one for the other.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 01:06:26 PM »
I am unwilling to give up GT.  I still want to see the rest of Moore, Garagiola and Ward TTTT.  I am willing to give up Fishman-Freer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

David Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 02:06:13 PM »
As much as I'd like to see GSN acquire Scrabble (esp. since GSN's original Scrabble attempts fell through), I wouldn't want to sacrifice the G-T shows to get it or the other Grundy shows. As for TPIR, as great an acquisition as it would be from a business standpoint, my only personal interest in having it back on GSN is for the possibility that it might also mean a return of the surviving Cullen TPIR eps. (perhaps finding an occasional place on the Overnight schedule).

Most of my favorites are G-T games and I (selfishly) wouldn't want to part with them, even if I've seen many of the episodes before. Also, I've only had GSN for the past 4 years, so I'm not (yet) burned out or left feeling that I've now seen all I wanted to see.

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 05:49:52 PM »
I am willing to give up Fishman-Freer.

<Merv Griffin voice>Ooooh!</MGV>

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 08:37:41 PM »
I for one most definitely would give up the G-T library for Grundy's.
Like several of the previous respondants however, it would be only because I've had GSN for a long enough time to where I've had my fill of G-T product. These days the only G-T show I be sure to tune into / record everytime it airs is Blockbusters, and that's only twice a week. Even if that were pulled, I'd live.

They may be classics, but I'm tired of Match Game, Family Feud, & pretty much all of the black & white shows. (yea yea, "blasphemy!" Wot-evah.)

--Jamie
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 08:38:00 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 08:43:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Dec 3 2003, 08:37 PM\'] I for one most definitely would give up the G-T library for Grundy's.
Like several of the previous respondants however, it would be only because I've had GSN for a long enough time to where I've had my fill of G-T product. These days the only G-T show I be sure to tune into / record everytime it airs is Blockbusters, and that's only twice a week. Even if that were pulled, I'd live.

They may be classics, but I'm tired of Match Game, Family Feud, & pretty much all of the black & white shows. (yea yea, "blasphemy!" Wot-evah.)

--Jamie [/quote]
 I'd be willing to go without PYL and WLoD for the Grundy shows, as $otC and Scrabble both enjoyed a run twice as long as PYL and WLOD. They're better known titles than WLOD to begin with. The Goodson shows need to stay, it ain't much of a network which specializes to a large degree in classic game shows without the GT stuff.

As for GT, there's a year or more of P+, Super Password, TTTT70s, WML Syndies, and Tattletales that have yet to air in GSN's nine year history.

Starkman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 09:14:20 PM »
Id give up the G-T library for grundy IF they crank out originals that I like and use their library of existing non G-T shows to a good extent and picked up one or two non G-T true classics (Kennedy NTT) and didnt scrimp on shows they have the rights to (aka more than one season of 100k Pyramid)

However I would not give up G-T for grundy if it meant filling the schedule with just more shows that either are A. Shows that are clear filler (endless DG, NG like during the dark period) B. Countless reruns of the same originals. C. Aquiring shows that are short lived but modern :cough: NBC Link :cough and spinning them over and over again. or D. Useless filler shows (masters of the maze, baby races etc of wich id probs perfer infomircals ;) )Id pass.

To me its an issue of what would be left not what youd give up. They'd have enough classics left without G-T (B+E plus gaining the grundys) when added up with shelling out for more Whammy!, RR, and Lingo would make the trade work, but without proper managment, it would just be another dark period.

curtking

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 09:40:16 PM »

Without a second thought.

I love MG.  I'd miss it if it were gone.  But I have collected enough eps to keep me happy.

If GSN ran Pyramid, the originals, and Grundy, that would be just fine with me.

Question: What else does the Grundy library include besides SotC and Scrabble? (Dream House and Scattergories come to mind, but I may be wrong.)

Curt

(Useless trivia: Grundy actually hosted a game show in his native Australia -- Reg Grundy's Wheel of Fortune -- in 1959.  It was nothing like the current version.  Grundy currently lives in Bermuda.)