Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares coming back...  (Read 21257 times)

The Ol' Guy

Hollywood Squares coming back...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »
Heck, why don't they just call it Roll Me The Money? Hard to imagine Rollers w/o the Q&A.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:10:34 PM by The Ol' Guy »

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Speculating here...the thing I'm noticing is that Heatter-Quigley concepts from the 70s and 80s are coming back with revamped formats, modernized (not for the better I'm afraid), but with new titles.

I'm guessing it's because the average 20-something has no clue what "Gambit" or "High Rollers" are/were, and calling it "The New ___" does nothing when both shows were off the air 20-25+ years, and the most recent versions lasted a year at the most ("Las Vegas Gambit" and Wink's HR).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
http://www.smallworldift.com/format_item.php?pageid=dice_fever - Here's video of a retooling of Lucky Numbers. Merrill's keeping plenty busy.

this should be produced for American TV!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
I see a $1,000,000 Shenanigans. To keep up with the times, they can change the game of Operation to Malpractice.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:47 AM »
"This isn't your father's 'High Rollers'...that version's too boring! This is 2011...it needs the mood lighting. And you know what else it needs?...hot models. 10 of them!!1!"
-Hotshot newbie tool producer to Merrill Heatter

I just saw the trailer. Craptastic...I have a hard time believing Merrill came up with anything this half-baked, insipid, or derivative. I'll just go with my imagery of the above conversation happening.

The front game gives away way too much money (shocked I tell you, see my point below).

The bonus round blows, mainly because there's no thrill or risk involved. I take a blind stab at $1 million and lose. Boohoo, now I only get to keep the chump change of $125K that I won just a few minutes ago. Since when did 6-figures get treated like a mere $500? On one hand, I can't see the contestants NOT going for the million. On the other hand, it's such a blind shot in the dark, I'd gladly take the $5,000 per die point, even if it's "just" another $10K.

Granted, I'm happy that they didn't find a way to take that $125K away, the bonus round still blows. $1M cash prizes have become a cliche.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
As is my hobby, I was part way into making a box version of Merrill's HR revamp Lucky Numbers when I just felt "meh" and gave it up. Looking at the new Dice Fever - well, both shows are a bit weak by themselves, but I think by combining elements of both, you might have a more exciting game. Use the dice girls and high value amounts, bring back the Q&A with the pass or play option, and keep the "red zone" (danger zone, whatever) from Lucky. Once the first 7 is rolled, the next player to roll a 7 loses the game. Working on a refined two-stage bonus that starts like the classic version, but you must win so much or hit a certain combination of numbers for the chance to go on to the million dollar match the roll.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:32:57 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Fedya

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
And you know what else it needs?...hot models. 10 of them!!1!
You say this as though hot models are a bad thing.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
I just saw the trailer. Craptastic...I have a hard time believing Merrill came up with anything this half-baked, insipid, or derivative. I'll just go with my imagery of the above conversation happening.
Wasn't this a retread of Lucky Numbers from 1985?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
this should be produced for American TV!
No, this shouldn't be produced for ANY TV, much less American.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
Here's another gem. Say it ain't so, Wink!

CELEBRITY GARBAGE
From legendary game show host and producer Wink Martindale comes the filthiest, dirtiest and downright hilarious celebrity game show. Are you astute enough to identify famous people by the garbage they make? Contestants put on the boots, masks and hazmat suits to sift through celebrity "garbage," attempting to identify who the junk belongs to by deciphering clues amongst the trash.

Wink narrates how the game works, here.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
Here's another gem. Say it ain't so, Wink!

CELEBRITY GARBAGE
It's Password Plus/Super Password with a few more clues, and dumpster diving instead of traditional clue giving. I like the idea of finding clues, not so fond of digging through a trash can to find them.

Sodboy13

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
CELEBRITY GARBAGE
From legendary game show host and producer Wink Martindale comes the filthiest, dirtiest and downright hilarious celebrity game show. Are you astute enough to identify famous people by the garbage they make? Contestants put on the boots, masks and hazmat suits to sift through celebrity "garbage," attempting to identify who the junk belongs to by deciphering clues amongst the trash.
This is actually one of the mini-games played with some regularity on the Aussie comedy panel quiz "Talkin' Bout Your Generation."

As a lighthearted segment, it's fun. As the entire conceit of a program... ehhh.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:05:05 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
Thought for sure Andrew was gonna throw in a "Deal or no deal?" upon offering $5,000 per die pip. And evidently, he thought admitting the show didn't have any on-the-buzzer questions would be the clincher.

Wasn't this a retread of Lucky Numbers from 1985?
Yeah, except the...everything...was 1,000,000x better in '85.

I see a $1,000,000 Shenanigans.
Family Game Night!

...Oh, wait.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

vtown7

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
I look forward to the inevitable need to perk up the ratings, thus the show becoming Celebrity Celebrity Garbage :)

Ryan.

/sorta like Hungry Hungry Hippos, I guess

Sodboy13

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
/sorta like Hungry Hungry Hippos, I guess
Now listen, I don't like them either, but there's no need to talk about the Kardashians like that.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation