Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares coming back...  (Read 21111 times)

Jamey Greek

Hollywood Squares coming back...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
So if you think about it, it's practically a revival of All-Star BLitz right?

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
On edit: take a look at the Hollywood Teasers Logo.

Am I the only one who thought, Hollywood Rectangle when I saw that?

Jamey Greek

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
I am listening to the Hollywood Teasers theme and it sounds like an Entertainment news show theme.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
I am listening to the Hollywood Teasers theme and it sounds like an Entertainment news show theme.

Aw man. I was hoping it'd have "hobba hum, hobba heeba humba" somewhere in it.
Bobby Peacock

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
So if you think about it, it's practically a revival of All-Star BLitz right?
yes.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
Now for the obvious question: What does Merrill Heatter need Syd Vinnedge for? For that matter, what does anybody need Syd Vinnedge for?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:18:55 PM »
Speculation: Heatter likes having a partner. Since Quigley retired, almost all of Heatter's projects have included another partner.   Besides, the guy is in his eighties.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »
Speculation: Heatter likes having a partner. Since Quigley retired, almost all of Heatter's projects have included another partner. Besides, the guy is in his eighties.
He dropped Bob Quigley in a hurry.

At age 80, Merrill has probably forgotten more about game shows than Syd has ever known.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:47:58 AM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:29 AM »
Now for the obvious question: What does Merrill Heatter need Syd Vinnedge for? For that matter, what does anybody need Syd Vinnedge for?
As unpopular as it may be to say anything nice about Syd, he is a blue ribbon shmoozer and salesman. Merrill has the creativity, but somebody needs to do the high-level, multi-martini, confidence-building relationship selling. I've seen Syd in action, and there are few who do it as well.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »
Add me to those who'd love to see the project happen. The question again would be where, and even if it's just on GSN, that's cool. One more in-studio show. Who knows? There may be hope for Malcolm yet....

dazztardly

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
http://www.smallworldift.com/format_item.php?pageid=dice_fever - Here's video of a retooling of Lucky Numbers. Merrill's keeping plenty busy.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
Can PDQ/Baffle be far behind?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
http://www.smallworldift.com/format_item.php?pageid=dice_fever - Here's video of a retooling of Lucky Numbers. Merrill's keeping plenty busy.
"The intriguing absence of knowledge and skill."  And as far as the trailer shows, there's even less strategy than Deal or No Deal.  I mean, sure, Merrill's going where the industry is going, so good on him for staying semi-relevant.  Still, I never thought I'd see a day when High Rollers is considered too complicated.

Yep, one step closer to $1,000,000 Heads or Tails?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Yep, one step closer to $1,000,000 Heads or Tails?
Been there, at least in the UK.

The end game rubs me the wrong way.  Dumb luck can get you a 1-in-6 shot at a million or a 1-in-36 shot, depending on what the lucky dice vixen rolls.  OTOH, Andrew O'Keefe hosted the pilot.  If there is one foreign talent I'd like to host a show here in the States, it would be O'Keefe.  Or Philip Schofield, if The Cube ever got here.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
"The intriguing absence of knowledge and skill."
TOTALLY the line that stuck in my head as well. And not in a good way. More in a "I can't friggin' believe that's actually a SELLING point" way.

And as far as the trailer shows, there's even less strategy than Deal or No Deal.
But you can pass, Matt! You can PASS! TWICE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THE THING THAT MIGHT MAKE YOU LOSE! OMG STRATEGERY!

(What's sad is that I actually thought "hey, they didn't make the same mistake Grand Slam did with the switch-fights.")

Seriously, you totally echo my thoughts on this. In terms of being a quality game format, that thing has more holes in it than the stockroom at a blow-up doll factory. (Insert joke about the Dice Girls here.) It actually strips out what little was good about High Rollers, and I say that as someone who really likes High Rollers despite recognizing that it's a flimsy-as-hell format too.

Still, I never thought I'd see a day when High Rollers is considered too complicated.
Well, you had a little more hope for the future than I did. Frankly, I'm just relieved that rolling up a 7 only loses the game and doesn't get any tender parts of the body hooked up to a car battery. (Admittedly, that might actually improve the show.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe