Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares coming back...  (Read 21253 times)

cmjb13

Hollywood Squares coming back...
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
And Syd Vinnedge is involved
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
"The new twist is that home audiences can play along with the studio contestants"

As opposed to the earlier versions of Hollywood Squares, when they couldn't?

On edit: take a look at the Hollywood Teasers Logo.  That thing is exactly what I think it is, isn't it?

Hol.  Lee.  Shit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:53:00 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
On edit: take a look at the Hollywood Teasers Logo.  That thing is exactly what I think it is, isn't it?
That, sir, is indeed the Blitz board with people sitting inside of it.

As someone who actually liked All-Star Blitz, I cannot share your "ho. lee. shit." I'd totally give this a fair shot. I wonder if they decided to speed up the game (or make it a race to 3 or something) by just outright giving a contestant the clue on a single right answer, since clearly they have tossed out the whole top-middle-bottom-star thing.

/assuming we're right, calling it a "new" word game is horribly disingenuous, though
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
As someone who actually liked All-Star Blitz, I cannot share your "ho. lee. shit." I'd totally give this a fair shot. I wonder if they decided to speed up the game (or make it a race to 3 or something) by just outright giving a contestant the clue on a single right answer, since clearly they have tossed out the whole top-middle-bottom-star thing.
My comment was not based on, "I won't watch this," but on "This is infinitely more surprising and out of left field to me than another Hollywood Squares."  I would totally give this a shot too, if it's not too plodding.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:10:07 PM by parliboy »

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »
That thing is exactly what I think it is, isn't it?

Yeah. I don't know how they're going to get three-in-a-row up and down. Maybe that's where the contestant torment comes in.

"All-Star Blitz" wasn't that bad, was it? I just remember it being slow--a celebrity in each chunk of puzzle may help that--and that the stars weren't funny. If I had to round up a panel of six, I'd rather play Match Game, but there's no reason the formula can't work.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
My comment was not based on, "I won't watch this," but on "This is infinitely more surprising and out of left field to me than another Hollywood Squares."  I would totally give this a shot too, if it's not too plodding.
I think Chris has it right when he says it might be as simple as winning the entire square for correctly agreeing/disagreeing with the celebrity, which would be a far faster pace than the original Blitz, and a welcome one.  It's also amusing how this will be pushed as a fresh, "new" format when we'll all recognize that it's more than fifteen years old.

Color me intrigued as well, but on the other hand, I was somewhat intrigued by the idea of a new version of Gambit, and Catch 21 leaves me cold.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
It sounds interesting enough. HSq/H^2 was one of the few recent shows (let's say of the last 15 years) that IMO was competently produced. Hopefully they won't take the "Catch 21" route, which leaves me cold as well, hit or not.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
You mean you don't want the top prize to be TWENTY.  FIVE.  THOUSAND.  DOLLARS?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
We talked before on these intarwebs about an earlier pilot for Hollywood Teasers (which TVPMM has the music from) and I wondered how I would execute the show if each answer meant giving away a clue. I think the answer is rather simple. Play it like nighttime (or syndicated, if you prefer to say that) Squares. Play your first two games for X dollars/points, play remaining games for X-times-2 until time runs out, finish any puzzle in progress on the buzzers (a'la Classic Concentration when they ran short on time). I have a bonus round idea that builds off of that concept as well.

I always loved the Blitz word game, and I really hope they get a run at it on television.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Am I missing something? Is there news that this has been greenlit for airing? If so, I'm not seeing it.

It's a format they've had for years. The "Teasers" game has already been piloted, and failed to sell a few years ago. If they're trying again great, but again, I'm not seeing that either.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

parliboy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
I think Chris has it right when he says it might be as simple as winning the entire square for correctly agreeing/disagreeing with the celebrity, which would be a far faster pace than the original Blitz, and a welcome one.  It's also amusing how this will be pushed as a fresh, "new" format when we'll all recognize that it's more than fifteen years old.

Color me intrigued as well, but on the other hand, I was somewhat intrigued by the idea of a new version of Gambit, and Catch 21 leaves me cold.

Catch 21 leaves me cold too, but that's largely because it moves at one-third the pace of Gambit.  Like I said, "if it's not too plodding".

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

How does Catch 21 leave you cold? Is it with the game itself, or the choices made in mounting it?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
We talked before on these intarwebs about an earlier pilot for Hollywood Teasers
And only a year or so ago, as it turns out.

How does Catch 21 leave you cold? Is it with the game itself, or the choices made in mounting it?
Little of both.  Mostly, as others have mentioned, the ridiculously slow pace.  Unlike some, I have no problem with Carlton as the host, he's perfectly adequate.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »
We talked before on these intarwebs about an earlier pilot for Hollywood Teasers
And only a year or so ago, as it turns out.

And funny that I could have recalled those panelists listed for you, but I conveniently skipped over Dan saying they played it almost exactly as I suggested - to a time limit. Works for me.

Yes, this announcement is little more than "we're trying," but I guess i'm excited to see that A) Merrill hasn't dropped the format from contention, because I enjoyed it and B) if it does become a go somewhere, it's another chance at a traditional game being successful, and a chance to tip the scales in that direction. For all the games with harnesses and more jib sweeps per segment than questions asked, the shows that ran multiple orders in recent memory have been Lingo (without the bells & whistles), Catch 21, Millionaire, Feud....I'd like to see something like this join the list.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
You mean you don't want the top prize to be TWENTY.  FIVE.  THOUSAND.  DOLLARS?
When it's yelled at me like that and I have functioning buttons on my remote, absolutely not. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!