Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most obscure game shows  (Read 59401 times)

toddyo

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
Todd was a sports anchor at WLW-T and then moved to SportsTime, an Anheiser-Busch/Multimedia Productions co-owned ESPNesque sports network. I believe TimeOut For Trivia started with SportsTime as a filler. It shared time with FNN, became SCORE, and then folded when FNN became CNBC and went 24/7. The SCORE folks moved to various regional networks which later became FoxSports_____ (Ohio, Cal, NY, Peoria).

colonial

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
Todd Donoho is now a published author, writing a book for young children about the University of Missouri...

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Truman-Todd-Donoho/dp/1932888578

I remember "Time Out for Trivia," mostly due to the fact that I tried to call in more than once to play. :)

JD

knagl

• Executive Producer
Most obscure game shows
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
(Apparently he moved back to Missouri and is doing college sports stuff now.)

Wikipedia agrees.

Thanks for the added info, all.

vexer6

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
Jamey Greek mentioned it already, but I'm going to say ANY game show that aired on BET. I remembered watching a game show called "Tell Me Something Good" that may have used the actual Rufus song as their theme song. At the age of 4 or 5, I remember three telephones behind the players (kinda like that big phone board on Your Number's Up). That's all I remembered from that show. Another BET show was some show (could be Family Figures) that was hosted by Mario and Melvin van Peebles. It was a good show because it aired before The Price is Right would air. I only saw a few episodes of On the Beat (I may put an episode up), and tried to look at Pay it Off, but missed it.

How about Pressure 1/2? Pressure 1 was slightly better than Peer Pressure 2.

Pretty much any game show that was short-lived and never discussed much after that.
Oh yeah, I remember "Pay It Off" It's too bad that show got cancelled as Kim Coles was a terrific host, and it was more exciting then most of the game shows you see on all the major networks nowadays.

DrBear

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »
The mention of PBS reminded me of a 1982 experiment called "Top of the World." Three contestants were in studios in London, Australia and Miami, answering questions about each others' countries. Somehow the on-the-buzzer round had some sort of built in delay to equalize the satellite transmission time. Great 2001-style opening. For the Grand Final, the Miami and Aussie contestants were flown to London.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

thewhammy_2000

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
I'll make a brief clarification. That BET game show that would come on in the morning aired within an hour from Price, which meant that I would just switch over to CBS at 10:00.

I remembered three more shows.

One show I watched regularly was "Random Acts of Comedy," more like an improv version of "The Who, What, or Where Game" on Fox Family around the turn of 2000. Hosted by David Alan Grier, a few improv comics would act out the Ws and the contestants buzz in to answer them. I remembered one of the consolation prizes was that Jeep CD radio that would be on other game shows at the time.

Along the lines of "Bobcat's Big Ass Show," there was "Happy Hour" hosted by (I think) Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa on USA around the same time. From the promos I remembered, there were some buzzer games that got me into the show. Unfortunately, like BBAS, it was part game/variety show. I had to wait a while just to see a buzzer game. One game I totally remembered was where the players were shown the insides of candy bars on the monitors under them and the buzzer game was in play. I saw a few of these and wasn't worth it to wait for a (fun) buzzer game.

Another game that was fun to watch was webRIOT on MTV. It's more like those NTN trivia games that takes place in a set where nothing was on the floor and Ahmet Zappa was on a monitor wall the whole time. was fun.

Thousand Dollar Bee?

Again, moreso the shows on cable and syndication.

davidbod

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
The mention of PBS reminded me of a 1982 experiment called "Top of the World." Three contestants were in studios in London, Australia and Miami, answering questions about each others' countries. Somehow the on-the-buzzer round had some sort of built in delay to equalize the satellite transmission time. Great 2001-style opening. For the Grand Final, the Miami and Aussie contestants were flown to London.

We have some info about it here:
http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Top_of_the_World
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

vexer6

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »
There was another religious game show called Genesis, it only ever aired once as a pilot on PAX TV, like "Inspiration" it had the grand prize of a trip to holy site, there's more info on here.  My link

Robert Carter

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
There was another religious game show called Genesis, it only ever aired once as a pilot on PAX TV, like "Inspiration" it had the grand prize of a trip to holy site, there's more info on here.  My link

Yes, hosted by Jim McKrell of "Celebrity Sweepstakes" fame. It wasn't very well done, as I recall.

William_S.

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
Pictionary..uh the Kids one with the Judge and the failing mechanics. ( And I mean that in all* aspects)

*not all was fail.

vexer6

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
There was a short-lived American syndicated version of the popular British game show "100%" It was only ever aired in a mere seven stations and didn't even last a full season.

Another short-lived syndicated show was "All About The Opposite Sex" Two teams consisting of 7 men and 7 women competed to see who knew more about the opposite sex, only lasted for two months.

Then there's "Beach Clash"(not sure what channel it was on) where two "hardbodies" competed in beach-themed events for 10,000 dollars and a trip to Hawaii.

Toheckwiththis

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
"Beach Clash" was actually syndicated

KWJCDon

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
Top of the World. I actually got to see this one since the PBS station in South Florida was a co-packager.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Top_of_the_World

Jimmy Owen

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »
Has anyone ever seen "Anything You Can Do."?  Lasted from 71 to 74 with Gene Wood and later Don Harron. Canadian production that ABC Films and later Worldvision syndicated to the US.  Both WABC and WCBS played it off and on.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tim L

Most obscure game shows
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
WEWS Cleveland had "Anything You Can Do"..Gene Wood was a good host, but the show wasnt much more than a retooled "Beat The Clock".    From what I gather, WEWS only carried the 1971-72 season.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:11:53 PM by Tim L »