The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Most obscure game shows

(1/34) > >>

vexer6:
What are the most obscure game shows you've seen?  (by "obscure" I mean shows that haven't been seen in reruns since the original airing).  Two examples for me were "It's Your Chance Of A Lifetime"(not to be confused with the 100,000$ Chance Of A Lifetime) which I saw when I was only 10 years old, I had already gotten hooked on game shows after watching Millionare with my mother and grandmother every week.  "Lifetime" was a very short-lived clone of WWTBAM  that aired in June 2000 on Fox, it was hosted by Gordon Elliott and only lasted for 5 episodes aired over the course of one week, it had only a few differences from Millionare. The first question-which if answered correctly would allow you to pay off a credit debt of up to 10,000$(the credit card bill was shredded onstage) There were only nine questions rather then fifteen, and they ertr all divided into categories like Popular Music and In The Animal Kingdom, the questions were not multiple-choice, though one lifeline gave three possible answers to a question, another lifeline let you change the question to a category of your choice, and at the very end, you got a "last chance" which allowed you to re-use either lifeline.  Most people thought that show was boring, personally I thought it was enjoyable enough(it certainly beats the hell out of "Deal or No Deal" that's for sure!, how is that show still on anyways?) Gordon was a fun host and added some "color" to the show, the questions were of reasonable difficulty, and it had a rather impressive set design(that was the one area where the show beat Millionare IMO)It's a real shame that show is almost forgotten today, it showed up on Youtube back in 2008 but then got removed for whatever reason, no other images or videos of that show seem to exist anymore.

The other example was "Dirty Rotten Cheater" which aired on PAX TV back in 2003, the show was somewhat similar to Weakest Link, one player was designated as "the cheater" which allowed to them to see all the correct answers for the questions. The first question was a survey question, wih certain answers being worth more then others,  the players were given opportunities to accuse each other of being the cheater by giving votes(the studio audience also gave out votes near the end), if the wrong person was outed, then the total money earned up to that point was halved, and the player(s) that got removed from the game get a chance to win money at the end of the show, if the cheater was succcesfully outed, a new one was designated. If no contestant received three votes, the cheater could eliminate an "honest" player from the game.  It was a pretty fun show with enough uniqueness(is that a word?), and it could've fared better if it wasn't on PAX.

Matt Ottinger:
A friendly welcome to our newcomer, plus a word to the [hopefully] wise.  It won't be necessary for you to explain to THIS group how games were played, especially games from the last ten years or so.  If you want to ask questions about them, cool.  But you can pretty much assume that we're going to be familiar with most anything you come up with, we won't need the rules spelled out for us.

vexer6:
Yeah I kinda figured that, I just wanted to make sure(mostly for "Chance Of A Lifetime" since barely anyone remembers that show).

The Pyramids:
A copy of "The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows" remains your best source for finding obscure shows. For example, there is "Lets Celebrate", a one-time series that aired on NBC on December 15, 1946.

vexer6:
Thanks, i'll be sure to pick up a copy.  So anyways, what are the most obscure game shows you guys have seen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version