Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 Ways to try to reinvent a game show  (Read 26514 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
101 Ways to try to reinvent a game show
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
people have such short attention spans
That's debatable. They can sit through episodes of J! and WOF which have basically the same pacing as they did in the '60s and '70s. I wonder if that statement is reality, a myth, or a self-fulfilling prophecy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:02:22 AM by chris319 »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
Something else that also came to mind - Mr. West spoke in a past thread about broadcasters eventually dumping the National Association of Broadcasters guidelines we grew up with in the 50s and 60s (oh, us old people...). One tenet was to limit the amount of commercial time. I'm doing a show on public access cable called Yestervision, similar to Avery's The Golden Years of Television, except that where the commercial breaks are, I get to share trivia about the show, the actors, the production, whatever. Since most half-hour shows had their after intro commercial, their mid-break spot, and one toward the end of the show, I just have to prepare roughly 3 minutes worth of material for each show.
Going back to Tim L.'s comment on segments on shows like Mike Douglas, shows back then still kept the amount of commercial time down. As networks, stars and syndicators demanded more money, the only source was sell more commercials. It might be that we don't necessarily have shorter attention spans, but show segments are getting shorter and shorter to accomodate the glut of commercials and promos. The trick now is for producers to make each short segment attractive and interesting enough to keep us from tuning out in disgust over the obscene amount of commercials we're stuck with in between them. I'm sorta torn when I watch - I wrote radio and local theater on-screen commercials for years, and I love a good commercial. But by the third in a row with three more to go, I say to heck with it.

By the way, Tim, this has been quite the thread. You posted at 10:33 am. Did you start reading at 4:45 am? :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:52:13 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Tim L

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »
By the way, Tim, this has been quite the thread. You posted at 10:33 am. Did you start reading at 4:45 am? :-)

I should say I scanned through it, only really reading the last several pages through..To be honest, unless I'm interested in the subject at the beginning, I don't pay attention to a lot of the threads unless they become kind of long..Then I figure I might have missed something interesting..

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
Call it me lowering my standards over the past decade due to the crap networks have determined qualifies as good game shows or me not expecting to see another old-school caliber game show ever again...
I suppose one could, in the alternative, choose to take my approach: stay with the few old-school-style shows which are still on the air while they last (or until they are no longer of interest), and then find something else to occupy one's time/interests (TV, internet, hobby, whatever) not related to game shows. As I have little to no faith in the TV industry's ability, much less desire, to create an excellent, enjoyable game show (as most of us know/knew them) anymore, I have gradually turned my time to other interests, mainly on the internet since TV at large is becoming less and less engaging to me (likely due to may of the issues discussed in this thread by others).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

vexer6

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
Call it me lowering my standards over the past decade due to the crap networks have determined qualifies as good game shows or me not expecting to see another old-school caliber game show ever again...
I suppose one could, in the alternative, choose to take my approach: stay with the few old-school-style shows which are still on the air while they last (or until they are no longer of interest), and then find something else to occupy one's time/interests (TV, internet, hobby, whatever) not related to game shows. As I have little to no faith in the TV industry's ability, much less desire, to create an excellent, enjoyable game show (as most of us know/knew them) anymore, I have gradually turned my time to other interests, mainly on the internet since TV at large is becoming less and less engaging to me (likely due to may of the issues discussed in this thread by others).
Agreed, apart from Animation Domination on FOX, I rarely ever feel the urge to watch TV much anymore, I only don't even watch GSN that often as there's alot of stuff on there that I have little to no interest in(The Newlywed Game, Improve-A-Ganza, etc)

vexer6

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
Almost forgot, I am looking forward to the US version of The Cube, Neil Patrick Harris could be a terrific host and it sounds pretty exciting, it better air soon though, CBS hasn't had anything worth watching in quite awhile("Million Dollar Password" was the last time I regularly tuned in)

BrandonFG

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »
Almost forgot, I am looking forward to the US version of The Cube, Neil Patrick Harris could be a terrific host and it sounds pretty exciting...
AFAIK, CBS hasn't greenlighted this one yet.

t better air soon though, CBS hasn't had anything worth watching in quite awhile("Million Dollar Password" was the last time I regularly tuned in)
Quite a few million people would disagree with you there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

vexer6

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
Almost forgot, I am looking forward to the US version of The Cube, Neil Patrick Harris could be a terrific host and it sounds pretty exciting...
AFAIK, CBS hasn't greenlighted this one yet.

t better air soon though, CBS hasn't had anything worth watching in quite awhile("Million Dollar Password" was the last time I regularly tuned in)
Quite a few million people would disagree with you there.
Good ratings dosen't always mean good quality, The Bachelor/Bachelorette and Jersey Shore get high ratings, and they're about as far from "quality" as you can possibly get.  That said, I do hope The Cube is succesful ratings wise, as CBS hasn't had a very good track record with game shows lately, and it would be nice to see them succeed.