Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Really short-lived rules  (Read 23218 times)

Brian44

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »
Over and over, I keep reading how Penny Ante was played the first five times on TPIR, and every time my head spins. Thankfully it morphed into one of the easiest pricing games on the show.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:39:16 PM by Brian44 »

William_S.

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
Scrabble: Spell the Word. See the "Mosquitos" Episode.
Think Fast: +10 for a time bomb find, then again that show was random.
Bumper Stumpers: Play or Just play (Challenge) Nobody used it so.....

that's all I can think of..

jmangin

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Pyramid:
  • 7-11: Originally contestants could go for $1,100 or play it safe and take $50/word
  • Player of the Week (three weeks in 1983): Contestant whose team guessed all seven words the fastest won a trip to Greece. The Mystery 7 was removed during that period.

BrandonFG

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
When Bergeron's HSq first came back, the winner of the day simply picked a celebrity and won the prize in the envelope (a throwback to Marshall's version). A few months in, the contestant had to successfully agree/disagree with the celebrity's answer. That format remained until November 2001, when the "Double or Nothing" bonus was introduced...that game lasted until the start of the following season.

Didn't "Door #4" on Monty's LMaD have a different setup prior to the "Deal Wheel"?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:24:25 AM »
Didn't "Door #4" on Monty's LMaD have a different setup prior to the "Deal Wheel"?
Yes it did. </emile>

You were shown a prize of middling value ($1,500-ish) and could keep it or trade it for the contents of #4, which was a cash amount from $1 to $5,000. Far far far less awesome than the wheel in either incarnation.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
I don't know if I'd quite call this a rule, but here goes. In almost every ten-day event that J! had when I was still watching, the semifinalist in a given trio who had the high score during their quarterfinal match took the champion's podium and chose first. I recall one where Alex announced that the player in that position had been chosen at random.

Their ToC's were the first time I'd seen any sort of rhyme or reason in determining match-ups. (I didn't pay attention to sports at the time.) Their usual system is one that I'd like to see in playoff series, so that home field advantage has to be re-earned.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
It was a cash amount ranging from $100 to $5,000. Monty offered a "sure thing" prize to the chosen audience member, who could either take that or the unknown cash amount.

The "Deal Wheel" itself went through a few minor value changes after the car was introduced...and interestingly, the car cue was the 1970s Split Second theme!
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 01:00:18 AM »
Their ToC's were the first time I'd seen any sort of rhyme or reason in determining match-ups. (I didn't pay attention to sports at the time.) Their usual system is one that I'd like to see in playoff series, so that home field advantage has to be re-earned.
How so?

(If I had my druthers, the MLB playoffs would axe the divisional round, award a spot in the League Championship to the team that won the most games, and let the other two division winners fight to join them. And giving the "home" team a one-game lead right out the gate.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:00:37 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 02:56:28 AM »
Back to TPIR for a minute- how many times was Time is Money played before it bit the dust? And there's one that fits the category of short lived rules (what with the 15 second, $500 voucher rule).

Punch-a-Bunch had some whacked-out rules on its first several playings before changing to what we know today.
Also, Grocery Game carried a $100 bonus for winners during the first few playings.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Craig Karlberg

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 04:05:52 AM »
Getting back to Penny Ante for a sec, I think I remembered its humble beginnings.  As usual, there were 2 products used(one on each side of the prop).  Each product had a price on it.  The trick is to find its price before you accumulate 100 pennies.  When you find the price of the product, a YES with an arrow pointing to one of the products would show up.  Find both prices before you rack up those 100 pennies & you won the prize,  I thought it was OK, but somehow, there may've been some confusion as to what price went wuth what product even if you used the arrow to point to that product.  Good thing they changed it up tp the more simpler 1 out of 4 price format for each product & the 3 pennies.

Mr. Matté

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »
On the second ep. of Super Password (I'm guessing the first too, but the situation never came up), the other clue giver could give two clues if the first one didn't have a clue to give (see this). But by the fourth ep., they ditched that rule (see here).

entguy1

Really short-lived rules
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Didn't the first couple of months of "Tattletales" have the off-screen spouse buzzing in after a clue to an embarassing and/or wacky story?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
Didn't the first couple of months of "Tattletales" have the off-screen spouse buzzing in after a clue to an embarassing and/or wacky story?
Good call.  The format that we became used to came from the "quickie" questions asked after one or two of those "clue" questions.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
It was a cash amount ranging from $100 to $5,000. Monty offered a "sure thing" prize to the chosen audience member, who could either take that or the unknown cash amount.
Gee thanks. Do you have me on ignore or could you just not wait to jump in and participate?
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Really short-lived rules
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Couple from P+:

Opposites allowed for the first few months.
Six clues (three per side) per word (change to four clues [two per side]).

And one that lasted a little longer, but still changed early enough--team who wins the password but doesn't solve the puzzle loses the option for the next password.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)