Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 5 Easy Questions  (Read 2937 times)

urbanpreppie05

5 Easy Questions
« on: December 01, 2003, 10:36:02 PM »
1. Does anyone know why Classic Concentration ran in reruns for 2 years?

2. What was the LOWEST big Deal that any of you have ever seen on Let's Make a Deal-that wasn't the pilot...

3. What was the bonus money structure on Scrabble 93- I heard that it started at $1,000 and added the value of Blue and Pink Squares, while another was a flat value of $5,000.

4. when they had Kids/teens week on Eubanks Card Sharks, since there wasn't a car in the bonus game, did they give away a trip? and if they did, did they use the Trip background from TPIR?

5. What set updates (if any) were made on the Davidson version of Pyramid-not counting the sign, opening and lights?
insert signature here

beatlefreak84

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 10:40:58 PM »
3.  The bonus round on "Scrabble '93" started at $1,000 and had $500 added to it for each blue bonus square win and $1,000 for each pink bonus square win.  It really limited how high the jackpot got, but I think I remember seeing one worth about $13,500.

4.  Yes, the same trip signs were used as were used on TPIR (I think this would infer that they gave away a trip!); however, only one trip was offered per kids' week; when it was won, the rest of the week was just played for straight money in the "Money Cards" (at least I think that's how it went).  Also, the kids were spotted two Jokers to start instead of one.

5.  Surprisingly, none-it was the same ol' set from the Clark era!  The only thing that changed was about halfway through the run, when the front-game display went from trilons to a type of roll-along slide; I think this is also when they changed the bonuses to the crappy ones!  However, the bonus game display was the exact same.

How did I do?  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

zachhoran

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 10:50:44 PM »
1. NBC probably thought running reruns of Classic Concentration was cheaper than producing a new show for their then-dwindling daytime lineup.

2. The Canuck version of LMAD in 1980-81 had $4K-$5K big deals on average(Canadian dollar you know). The cars offered were low end even for that time, i.e. a Plymouth Horizon. I saw a $6817 Big Deal(all cash) on a recent 1984 GSN rerun, the smallest seen on that version IIRC.

3. The highest Bonus Sprint jackpot in 1993 was $20,500, and AFAIK $18K was the record for the 1986-90 Bonus Spring jackpot.

4. All the kids that made the Money Cards on Eubanks/Rafferty CS had the chance to win the trip. Xmas 1987 saw a $10K prize package, including the Hawaii trip, as the prize.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
5 Easy Questions
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 11:24:00 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 09:36 PM\']1. Does anyone know why Classic Concentration ran in reruns for 2 years? [/quote]
I recall reading in an article (might have been USA TODAY--this was a long time ago, prolly 1992) that Trebek himself approached NBC about putting CC back into production since the reruns were doing well and was told essentially, "thanks but no thanks."  As to why it was Trebek who did the approaching and not someone from MGP, I don't know.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

HYHYBT

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 02:33:39 AM »
1. NBC cancelled it two years too early.

5. The center ring in the Winner's Circle carpet was white, the red borders of the trilons on the big pyramid were wider (leaving much less of that empty blue space at the bottom), and the front of the desks, the part that forms a background for the clues, came down further. The ovalish space at the top of the pyramid, where the dollar amount was, was bigger (so $100,000 didn't look as squished as when it was in a space made to say $25,000). On both (I think) pyramids there's a thin yellow border both inside and outside the lights, where on the old one it was just on the outside. The clue-givers' screens were much shorter, little stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was the same set dug out from wherever it went, but then again the things that *are* changed seem both useless and difficult as ways of updating an existing set.

My favorite update, though, was the character they put at the end of the seventh word in each category. Nice touch.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:36:32 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Brandon Brooks

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 02:47:51 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:40 PM\'] 5.  Surprisingly, none-it was the same ol' set from the Clark era!  The only thing that changed was about halfway through the run, when the front-game display went from trilons to a type of roll-along slide; I think this is also when they changed the bonuses to the crappy ones!  However, the bonus game display was the exact same.

How did I do?  :) [/quote]
 I don't quite know if this is correct.  If by a "roll along slide," you mean six
TV monitors, then yes.  

Also refer to the rest of the thread.

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 02:49:54 AM »
The reruns could have been called "Classic Classic Concentration."  I read that blurb in USA Today as well, apparently the reruns did just as well or better than the show in first run.  Why make new ones when the reruns still hold up?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:56:43 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 08:09:46 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 02:33 AM\']My favorite update, though, was the character they put at the end of the seventh word in each category. Nice touch.[/quote]
Putting a symbol on the last item in a category had been done by the Chyron operators going back to the ABC days (when you could see a dot in the corner of the screen on the last item).  It may've not been noticeable from the TV City Chyrons until the second "$100,000 Pyramid."

SimpsonGeek

5 Easy Questions
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 08:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 10:36 PM\'] 1. Does anyone know why Classic Concentration ran in reruns for 2 years?
 [/quote]
 The reruns were ment to be a temporary thing but the ratings told a different story. They were stull pulling a 5.7 to 8.3 every day, so they were kept permanent until they were pulling about 1.6 ratings, and by then we were also ready to revamp our daytime sched.