Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triple Play Staging  (Read 2859 times)

jrjgames

Triple Play Staging
« on: November 30, 2003, 08:32:54 PM »
Here are two moments from PIR.

What do you think if Triple Play was started like this....?

http://www.jrjgames.com/pir.rm

DISCUSS!

John
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 08:33:29 PM by jrjgames »

daveromanjr

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 08:47:05 PM »
I think it would be much better that way... I just find the "YOU COULD WIN THIS TOO!" thing in kind of redundant.  It even sounds like it goes that way with the three sound FX that go up a step for each car.

whewfan

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 08:57:55 AM »
What I like about how Triple Play is staged now is, you see the player's reaction to each car. Of course, after the second car, most fans would KNOW there's a third car and what game would be played.

zachhoran

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 09:08:41 AM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Nov 30 2003, 08:47 PM\'] I think it would be much better that way... I just find the "YOU COULD WIN THIS TOO!" thing in kind of redundant.  It even sounds like it goes that way with the three sound FX that go up a step for each car. [/quote]
 Or they could do like SUperball and do the "IN Door #1, In door #2, In door #3" bit, announcing what kind of car it was instead of saying "A New Car"

daveromanjr

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 04:50:23 PM »
This may be going overboard, but maybe open door #1 and describe the car.  Once the reaction goes down for a little bit, have Bob say "Also you have the chance to win these prizes as well" and open doors 2 and 3 at the same time (Have a camera show the openings of both doors and have the contestant's head in a square on the screen to the show the reaction.

Mike Tennant

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 05:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 04:50 PM\']This may be going overboard, but maybe open door #1 and describe the car.  Once the reaction goes down for a little bit, have Bob say "Also you have the chance to win these prizes as well" and open doors 2 and 3 at the same time (Have a camera show the openings of both doors and have the contestant's head in a square on the screen to the show the reaction.[/quote]
I'm thinking along the same lines.  Having the announcer shout "A new car!" and then just going back to the contestant, without a car description and music bed, seems to me to land with a thud.  (Of course, we seasoned fans also know what's coming after that, which also diminishes things a bit, but I realize they're not programming for us.)

I definitely think a car description after the first one is revealed is a good idea.  I'd have them describe them all at the outset, but I understand the business side of the show probably doesn't accommodate that.  The first one, though, is certainly going to be described, so why not just go ahead and do it?  It just seems more natural.  I'm not sure how to intro the other two cars.  I suppose your idea is as good as any.

jrjgames

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 07:44:17 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 04:50 PM\'] This may be going overboard, but maybe open door #1 and describe the car.  Once the reaction goes down for a little bit, have Bob say "Also you have the chance to win these prizes as well" and open doors 2 and 3 at the same time (Have a camera show the openings of both doors and have the contestant's head in a square on the screen to the show the reaction. [/quote]
 Ok...I;m open to suggestions....of course I didnt have the right words for Bob for this, but it gets the point across...

Let me know what you think.

http://www.jrjgames.com/pir3.rm

John

GameShowFan

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 07:50:53 PM »
I do believe Zach is right on this one -- the old Superball! reveal is the best way to do this, save for the sensory overload of the contestant.

(Frankly, I don't know why this game is even played... but that's not the topic of this thread.)

'Brian

Argo

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 06:08:20 PM »
One thing i would like to see, if they could do it, would be to just take one big shot of the 3 doors, and have Burton or Randy scream..."THREE NEW CARS"

Also, with Line 'em Up, i think it would be nicer if they showed the three smaller prizes first, then showed the car. For example...:

A New Dishwasher, A Sofa, and a Popcorn Machine...

...decriptions...

then say... "These prizes can help you win...A NEW CAR!!!"

just my open onion. |:)

uncamark

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 07:22:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 06:08 PM\']One thing i would like to see, if they could do it, would be to just take one big shot of the 3 doors, and have Burton or Randy scream..."THREE NEW CARS"[/quote]
Those who know better can correct me, but it seems to me that the only way they can get all three doors in the same shot is if the camera's out in the audience, which is not how they position cameras on "TPIR."

However, on the prime time shows they *could* use the jib camera to shoot the doors.

tvmitch

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 09:58:28 PM »
Every now and then, PiR will use one of my favorite showcase setups. I've seen it in different contexts, but the beginning has all the lights in the studio down except the lights around the three doors going in the same way they usually do in the show. The doors open to mostly darkness, then the lights go up just before the doors are completely open to reveal all three prizes. Very, very cool, very G-T. And they've done it before.
You should follow me on Twitter

uncamark

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 10:25:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 09:58 PM\']Every now and then, PiR will use one of my favorite showcase setups. I've seen it in different contexts, but the beginning has all the lights in the studio down except the lights around the three doors going in the same way they usually do in the show. The doors open to mostly darkness, then the lights go up just before the doors are completely open to reveal all three prizes. Very, very cool, very G-T. And they've done it before.[/quote]
"Your Showcase is a trip down Main Street."

Seems to me that Main Street only used two doors, though.

zachhoran

Triple Play Staging
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 10:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 2 2003, 10:25 PM\'] The doors open to mostly darkness, then the lights go up just before the doors are completely open to reveal all three prizes. Very, very cool, very G-T. And they've done it before.[/QUOTE]
"Your Showcase is a trip down Main Street."

Seems to me that Main Street only used two doors, though. [/quote]
 They do the "turn off the lights" effect for the Every Room in the House showcase, which uses one door only. Though in the 70s nighttime version, they'd use two doors for this showcase, since a car was part of it sometimes.